ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kentucky's Harrison uses racial slur against Wisconsin player

RCTrooper

All American
Apr 9, 2010
Andrew Harrison referred to Wisconsin's Frank Kaminsky as a n!gg!r in a post game conference. Imagine the outrage is the opposite happened.

Are people playing dumb with this story or are they really that tuned out?

This racial media nonsense is driving people mad.

"F that n*gga" after a tough loss, lol at "slur"

Originally posted by IL Lusciato:

Surely you would be laughing if Frank Kaminsky said it, right?

Originally posted by Caliknight:

well that would be totally different so I don't get the point of this.

WOW!!! Just WOW!!! So now it does not matter what is said, but by whom it is said??!! All Americans are NOT equal. Depends on who or what you are that matters now in America. I get it. Sad. Just very sad for all of us and our once great country.

He didnt say ER, he said A...which is not really a racial slur at all considering it is in every single rap song out...now if Frank said A, not even ER, people would be flippin even though in the sense its not a slur at all...if people feel so strongly about white people not using that word maybe they shouldnt use it either.... Its all bullshit non-story anyway...even if he said "man f*ck that motherf*cker" it would be a story because it is poor sportsmanship...but to say its a racial slur is just propaganda by the media to divide people
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by RUnumber1:
WOW!!! Just WOW!!! So now it does not matter what is said, but by whom it is said??!! All Americans are NOT equal. Depends on who or what you are that matters now in America. I get it. Sad. Just very sad for all of us and our once great country.[/QUOTE]um...Yeah, because way back in the day all Americans used to be equal right?.....

Lol. theres always one goober who pretends to act surprised and out of touch when a topic like this arises.

Could we please lock this thread before it gets any weirder?

I find it odd that the people who say they are so offended by the word are the ones that use it most.

And no it doesn't matter how it's said or spelled!

Originally posted by SC1221:
Originally posted by Caliknight:

well that would be totally different so I don't get the point of this.
That's exactly the problem. Shouldn't be different.

If someone can't tell the difference then they have some serious issues.

It shouldn't be that difficult.

Originally posted by WhiteBus:
I find it odd that the people who say they are so offended by the word are the ones that use it most.
I wish that were true...but sadly, too many in the African American culture still think its ok to use.

From athletes to celebrities to even Sportswriters like ESPN's Michael Wilbon, admit that they use it each and every day...from one-on-one conversations to barber shop chats...and that's sad.

It shouldn't matter what color your skin looks like...zero need to ever use that word.

good lord are people actually saying there should be a double standard

of course Kaminisky isn't black and the word isn't associated with whites but he used it in a derogatory manner not a friendly manner in the way the word has ridiculously been accepted by black culture as a word of endearment...he used to it to put him down

if Kaminisky said it, there would be a media outrage and calling for his suspension. We would be hearing about this for days. It is a double standard. Are people who are poo poohing thinking its only okay for some people to use words now...interesting

Originally posted by Scarlet_Scourge:

Huh what?? Difference. So it's ok to say "Fu#k that Ni$$a" ?? If your one color talking about another it's ok but not ok if the role was reversed?

If there is a difference than why did Harrison apologize? He knew it was a racial slur and he knew he was wrong.

This might be news to some of you but Harrison's comment might have been a compliment and there
are some white folks (especially high level basketball players who are white) who would take a comment like that as a compliment of the highest order. I didn't see Harrison say what he said and I don't know the nature of his relationship with Kaminsky so it is hard to know how it was meant (certainily could have been a straight out racist insult in a weird kinda way). It's not so simple to classify Harrison's comments as mean spirited and racist the way we would if the situation was reversed, epecially with this younger generation's experience of the N word as compared to us older folks (I am about 50).

All "slurs" should be erased from everyone's vocabulary but this situation isn't apples to apples. The N-word used by Harrison is historically used as a derogatory term to African-Americans. I don't think it was used in a "racial" context here. The equivalent action here would be Kaminisky calling Harrison a "peckerw***" or some other historical racially charged term used against whites. In either case it just doesn't resonate as racially charged, just offensive and stupid.

Originally posted by RUMountie:
This might be news to some of you but Harrison's comment might have been a compliment and there
are some white folks (especially high level basketball players who are white) who would take a comment like that as a compliment of the highest order. I didn't see Harrison say what he said and I don't know the nature of his relationship with Kaminsky so it is hard to know how it was meant (certainily could have been a straight out racist insult in a weird kinda way). It's not so simple to classify Harrison's comments as mean spirited and racist the way we would if the situation was reversed, epecially with this younger generation's experience of the N word as compared to us older folks (I am about 50).
Go see the video. This was a mean spirited comment to a fellow teammate when Kaminsky's name was brought up in the post game press conference. This wasn't uttered as a term of endearment.

Wow. So now calling someone the n-word is a compliment?!?!?!?! Ridiculous.

If Kaminsky takes that as a compliment, and Harrison meant it as a compliment, then that words going to be used much, much more by white kids..

Originally posted by mikemarc1:

If Kaminsky takes that as a compliment, and Harrison meant it as a compliment, then that words going to be used much, much more by white kids..
Yes, now you've got it. Do you listen to much of the current music that kids listen to? Do you spend much time around kids?
Children today generally have not seen or had the experiences with the N word that many older folks have had so they
don't attach the evil meanings to it. Many see it as a term of endearment.

Yes, now you've got it. Do you listen to much of the current music that kids listen to? Do you spend much time around kids?
Children today generally have not seen or had the experiences with the N word that many older folks have had so they
Then your saying if Kaminsky said that about Harrison, you wouldn't have a problem? You'd attribute it to him giving Harrison a compliment?

Either way, there would be a HUGE uproar over it..and shouldn't be a double standard is all I'm saying.

If it's a term of endearment why can't white people use it on a public stage? If it was a term of endearment why did Harrison apologize?
Go see the video. This wasn't a compliment to Kaminsky. Especially when it was preceded by the F-word.

Do you really think if Kaminsky called Harrison a cracker people would call for his head? No, they would laugh and say it's the ultimate diss to a black player.

Originally posted by jtung230:
Do you really think if Kaminsky called Harrison a cracker people would call for his head? No, they would laugh and say it's the ultimate diss to a black player.
Not in the mean spirited way Harrison did, no there would have been no laughter. None.

Cracker isn't even close to the N-word..and that's not really the argument here.

The fact is a black kid said "F that N" to a white kid. If a white kid said..it would be a WHOLE different story..and it SHOULDN'T be. If its that bad of a word..and I'm arguing it is..then NOBODY should be allowed to say it.

Huh what?? Difference. So it's ok to say "Fu#k that Ni$$a" ?? If your one color talking about another it's ok but not ok if the role was reversed?

If there is a difference than why did Harrison apologize? He knew it was a racial slur and he knew he was wrong.
It is not a racial slur when used against non-blacks, but it is still an insult. That is why he apologize. It is NOT OK for him to say that, but it still doesn't make it racist.

I hope you understand what I meant now.

It is not a racial slur when used against non-blacks, but it is still an insult. That is why he apologize. It is NOT OK for him to say that, but it still doesn't make it racist.

A word that is ok to be used by only one race but is deemed derogatory by those same people who use it when it is used by everyone else is racist. I understand the culture today but not all people are comfortable with the word no matter who uses. The NAACP went out of their way to "bury" the term in 2007 but failed.

Mike, this is the argument. If Harrison said the N-word equilavent for white people then it's racial. I would react differently if some called me a chink vs a spic. They are both racial slurs but the intend is a lot different.

This might be news to some of you but Harrison's comment might have been a compliment ....
Sure...guess that is why Harrison was forced to call Kaminsky on the phone to apologize and also apologize to the masses on social media.

Its sad that certain few always seem to make excuses for other's poor behavior.

A word that is ok to be used by only one race but is deemed derogatory by those same people who use it when it is used by everyone else is racist. I understand the culture today but not all people are comfortable with the word no matter who uses. The NAACP went out of their way to "bury" the term in 2007 but failed.
Ok, so you still don't get it.

Let me try again..

It is an INSULT no matter who uses it when used in that matter against ANYONE.

However, it is only considered a racial slur when used against black people.

I hope that makes it clearer.

Mike, this is the argument. If Harrison said the N-word equilavent for white people then it's racial. I would react differently if some called me a chink vs a spic. They are both racial slurs but the intend is a lot different.
I'm not arguing about the "N-Word equivilent to white people". I'm talking about "the n-word" that Harrison said.

A white kid says that..no matter his intent..and there's huge backlash. A black kid says it and its deemed "a compliment" by some people. It SHOULD NOT be that way.

Cracker isn't even close to the N-word..and that's not really the argument here.

The fact is a black kid said "F that N" to a white kid. If a white kid said..it would be a WHOLE different story..and it SHOULDN'T be. If its that bad of a word..and I'm arguing it is..then NOBODY should be allowed to say it.
We are talking about it and no one is applauding Harrison. No one is saying he should be saying. The argument coming mainly from whites who for some reason have a desire to go around calling people an offensive word is that the same consequences but the reality is it isn't the same act. There are different standards for different people.

I was in the mall on Saturday and a woman and man were in an argument. She hit him in the face with her purse and no one did anything. No one interfered and she one was arrested. Most likely if the rules were reversed and the man hit her in the faces the consequences were different. The difference is in the power. Most men have the strength to injure women severely. It is rare for women to do so. Likewise the power imbalance between whites and blacks is different. Whites have historically had the power in this country. Though the laws have been equalized there is still great inequality of outcomes and it is rare that a blank person get a better lawyer than a white person.

No one is stopping white people from saying n!gger. But there are consequences and those consequences are dished or by other white people. It was white people who kicked fraternity members out of Oklahoma university for chanting a practiced pre meditated that of violence. Harrison did something impulsively dumb, just like Riley Cooper who still has a job and got through it by immediately owning his mistake and apologizing. America likes apologies.

This post was edited on 4/6 10:14 AM by jiggscasey

Ok, so you still don't get it.

Let me try again..

It is an INSULT no matter who uses it when used in that matter against ANYONE.

However, it is only considered a racial slur when used against black people.

I hope that makes it clearer.
I do get and agree with all you said above but you are missing my point. Your first post about not seeing the difference was wrong if you watched the video of Harrison making the comment. It wasn't an endearing comment. It wasn't said in jest but in hatred and jealousy. This wasn't a case of two kids trash talking during a game. This was a mean spirited comment long after the game was over..

The double standard of the acceptance of the use of the word, is in of itself, racist. No one that uses the word commonly can not be outraged if someone else uses it. You can't have it both ways.

Put me squarely in the crowd that believes it would be better if the word was never uttered by anyone.

I think Harrison was just stressed thinking about his Calculus exam on Monday. That's why kids go to Kentucky, right?

Jamming that camel right through the eye of the needle huh?

Then your saying if Kaminsky said that about Harrison, you wouldn't have a problem? You'd attribute it to him giving Harrison a compliment?

Either way, there would be a HUGE uproar over it..and shouldn't be a double standard is all I'm saying.
Double standard? Maybe you haven't been paying attention to this Race Thing going on.

It was a black person calling a white person the N word.
For it to equal Kaminsky would have had to call Harrison a Honkey.

Originally posted by RUScrew85:

Double standard? Maybe you haven't been paying attention to this Race Thing going on.
I understand there's some racist people..and I've been paying attention to what's going on. But when you allow one person to say F that N...and if another person says it and its not allowable..thats a double standard, no? I'm a white person, so I have no idea the impact of the word..But if it is so offensive, no one should be allowed to say it. That's all i'm arguing.

A couple points -

1) This word, whether it is spelled with an "er" or "a" should be erased from everyone's vocabulary. This word, spelled either way, represents slavery and suffering. People died, were beaten, attacked dogs, knocked down by fire hoses and went to jail to fight against that word and its underlying meaning. The people who marched and their families do not use this word.

2) White people need to tamp it down on complaining about a double standard when it comes to this word. The world is not equal for white people and black people in this country or in the world at large. I doubt a white person would change places with a black person of equivalent status so they could take advantage of the double standard associated with this word.

3) It is different when a white person uses this word and a black person uses this word. White people were never bought and sold by black people and counted as 3/5ths of a person for the census in this country. You can't change that history.

stop being so sensitive. It's just a word however its used. I remember when "suck" implied something nasty and it would never be used in a respectable conversation. Nowadays adults tell their kids to "suck it". F-ck is another word that is commonly used today. TV, movies, young girls use it all the time. My mother would have washed my mouth out with soap if she heard me say it. Call me ginny, wop, grease ball, banana boat, mafiosa, dago, spaghetti slurper....I don't give a shit.
This discussion sucks the big one.

ADVERTISEMENT