ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Killing Cecil the Lion

RUSK97

Heisman Winner
Dec 28, 2007
CNJ
While I'm not a hunter myself, I generally have no problems with it (I fish). But why the hell in this day and age would you go lion hunting? Given their tremendous population challenges, why would you think it's legal or ethical to go take out a large male, which clearly has a pride somewhere? Not to mention the MN dentist decides to take the animal down with a crossbow and causes it to suffer for an additional 40 hours.

There are plenty of herbivores he can take down rather than a keystone species. Or he can take down an overabundance of invasive species like wild boar which can be found in just about any Midwestern state.

Jackass. What's he hunting for next? Blue whales with a slingshot?

Reactions: candid
With a title like that the psu lurkers will be all over this thread.:smiley:

Jimmy Kimmel said it best

Like the OP I have no problem with hunting. But when you have to pay $50K to go on a lion hunt, you have to think there's something wrong. He did not track the animal, the guides lured him out. He wounded the animal and the guides had to finish the lion off 40 hours later. This guy is a total d bag.

I got the impression it isn't illegal to hunt Lions. It was simply illegal to hunt this lion by luring it off the protected land. Am I wrong?

I got the impression it isn't illegal to hunt Lions. It was simply illegal to hunt this lion by luring it off the protected land. Am I wrong?

I think this is right.

I'm not a hunter at all, but to the OP question, I do think that hunting in general is a means of managing the populations. I believe there was a rare hippo that was killed a short while ago because there was another younger rhino in the area and the authorities allowed hunters to bid on the right to hunt the older hippo with proceeds used for conservation efforts. Getting rid of the older one eliminates conflicts where the two would fight for turf or females or whatever.

I thought the was going to be about the lion that is supposedly wandering the suburbs of Milwaukee. They think someone had it as a pet but either it escaped or was set free. Has people pretty spooked.

I have no problem with the idea of hunting but Christ, you can't do what these people did and call it hunting.

Reactions: KnightsofChrome
Legal or not, why in this day and age would anyone want to kill a beautiful endangered species like that. I love how hunters call what they do a "sport" - when a hunter has a chance of having the same fate as the hunted, then it will be a sport. Otherwise it's just killing as a test of the shooter's skills, i.e., killing for enjoyment, nothing else.

Last edited:
I too have no issues with hunting but this guy was just a dbag. Apparently they tried to destroy the GPS device the lion had also.

I read somewhere that not only will Cecil the Lion die, but all his cubs will be killed so that another male lion can take over the pride with this own bloodline. And that some of the females will die trying to protect their cubs.

Legal or not, why in this day and age would anyone want to kill a beautiful endangered species like. I love how hunters call what they do a "sport" - when a hunter has a chance of having the same fate as the hunted, then it will be a sport. Otherwise it's kust killing to as a test of the shooter's skills, i.e., killing for enjoyment, nothing else.
I think the appropriate retribution would be to insert him solo in the wilds of Zimbabwe with nothing but his bare hands. If he can fashion a weapon from materials in the Savanna to take down another lion, all the power to him. If he becomes the hunted, oh well.

The poachers lured the Lion out into the open with bait, lit him up with a spotlight and this guy shoots it.

The hunter concluded: "I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion."

What part of this does he "love"? And how does a dentist in Minnesota have $50,000 to spend on this?

Reactions: CuredbywinningRU
The poachers lured the Lion out into the open with bait, lit him up with a spotlight and this guy shoots it.

The hunter concluded: "I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion."

What part of this does he "love"? And how does a dentist in Minnesota have $50,000 to spend on this?
Spot on. Hunting and fishing isn't easy, even with all the technological aids that are available today. Anyone who thinks it is has never done it. But what this guy did is not hunting.

Zimbabwe is the only nation in the world that allows lion hunting. That country is so f'd up that it is selling off its natural resources (including lions) for hard currency.

There has to be some sort of law he can be charged with here, similar to going to Thailand for a 14 year old or Cuba for a cigar.

I read somewhere that not only will Cecil the Lion die, but all his cubs will be killed so that another male lion can take over the pride with this own bloodline. And that some of the females will die trying to protect their cubs.

This apparently is natural for the new alpha male of the pride to possibly kill all the cubs so he can introduce his bloodline into the pride. With no cubs the females will go onto heat.

Zimbabwe is the only nation in the world that allows lion hunting. That country is so f'd up that it is selling off its natural resources (including lions) for hard currency.

There has to be some sort of law he can be charged with here, similar to going to Thailand for a 14 year old or Cuba for a cigar.

I say we roofie the dentist, ship him off to you-know-who's farm and release him into the wild.

Reactions: Nova69
Re: rich dentists--not all dentists get rich, obviously, but I think if you have some business acumen and can build a large practice and employ other dentists you can get rich drilling teeth.

Re: lion hunting: you know, I don't want to judge anyone for their hobbies--god knows I watch anime--but if you are a hunter what possible pleasure can you get from outsourcing all the hunting parts to local guides and then only acting as executioner at the end? You're basically saying you only hunt because you like to kill. It doesn't make me want to have much to do with you, and I certainly don't want your fingers in my mouth.

You would be surprised at how common this in. MANY people from all over the world (Including many professional athletes) are into "hunting" big game like this guy. I personally know two people who have been to Africa and hunted every animal imaginable, including lions, elephants, Jaguars etc. I do not agree with it, but The point I'm making is that this is fairly common...especially for many doctors.

It is definitely a strange hobby. Many of the countries allow it because of the amount of money people are willing to pay to do this. Again, I don't really agree with it, I think it is a strange hobby to have but there is big $$ involved and I think there is more people that do it than most realize.

You would be surprised at how common this in. MANY people from all over the world (Including many professional athletes) are into "hunting" big game like this guy. I personally know two people who have been to Africa and hunted every animal imaginable, including lions, elephants, Jaguars etc. I do not agree with it, but The point I'm making is that this is fairly common...especially for many doctors.

It is definitely a strange hobby. Many of the countries allow it because of the amount of money people are willing to pay to do this. Again, I don't really agree with it, I think it is a strange hobby to have but there is big $$ involved and I think there is more people that do it than most realize.

Equally common is the activity on "hunting ranches" in places like Texas, where people pay thousands of dollars to "hunt" exotic animals (including big cats) that are literally chained to trees.

There's no sport to it and true sportsmen cringe at the thought.

As for the guide part... You absolutely need a guide. A lot of times the guides will help teach you how to track an animal and of course allow you to kill it. From what I have heard, the people who do this sort of thing tend to apprectiate the thrill of choosing a weapon, tracking the animal (usually living in the bush for a week or two at a time) then the thrill of killing the animal (adrenaline rush) and then being able to make various trophies from the animal and enjoy eating the meat.

I am surprised that no news network has picked up on any of the MLB players who do this. I would bet that at least 30 of them (probably more) have been hunting big game in Africa.

Nothing wrong with hunting per se. However, the killing of this poor lion is just wrong and evil. As noted above, the killing of the lion disrupted the social hierarchy of the pride which will lead to the unnecessary death of cubs and lionesses. I'd like to shoot the Dentist with a crossbow.

This apparently is natural for the new alpha male of the pride to possibly kill all the cubs so he can introduce his bloodline into the pride. With no cubs the females will go onto heat.

I saw a documentary on a pride of lions that said it's pretty much the norm when a new male takes over.

Killing Cecil is only the tip of the iceberg. Ok, he was the alpha male -- with many young offspring as I was reading. The next in line male will soon become top lion likely killing the weakest of Cecil's offspring -- possibly many dead lions soon.

and, Go Cats !!

It some areas of Africa it makes sense, because a good portion of the tag fees goes to towards the resources to combat poaching and the money coming in to the locals for the legal hunting gives them incentive to resist poaching interests.

In this particular case, the guy was previously cited in the US for illegal bear hunting, so he sounds like a total d****bag.

I used to hunt, mostly pheasants, never shot and killed anything that I didn't eat.

I don't hunt anymore, but I just can't help thinking Trophy hunting for Big game doesn't seem right to me.

Scenario A: Alaskan bush people who hunt bears, elk, Deer, etc. and that meat can keep them alive during harsh winters.

Scenario B: Minnesota Dentist kills for Hobby, has already killed a bear, Rhino, another Lion, but needs to kill more, and spends 50k to go on a hunt, they lure a lion out into the open at night with bait, shine a spotlight on him and our Dentists shoots him with an arrow and the lions dies 40 hours later.

Not all hunting is the same.

Nothing wrong with hunting per se. However, the killing of this poor lion is just wrong and evil. As noted above, the killing of the lion disrupted the social hierarchy of the pride which will lead to the unnecessary death of cubs and lionesses. I'd like to shoot the Dentist with a crossbow.
If the Cubs are going to die anyway they should allow people to hunt them half price.

I bet more than one person here has been whaling late on a Friday night around closing time...

[roll]

they should do the same to the dentist...shoot him with the bow...then let him bleed out for 40 hours...then skin him and stick his head on a spike

there...I feel better

Reactions: mildone
f'in ahole. I hope he losses everything he owns and catches a rare illness from the trip...:uzi:

they should do the same to the dentist...shoot him with the bow...then let him bleed out for 40 hours...then skin him and stick his head on a spike

there...I feel better

My friend's father went "bear hunting" in Maine. Watched a video of it, his dad was in a tree stand, a bear approached to munch on the raw meat left below the stand, and his father put an arrow thru the bear (compound bow). He thought he did something very manly and got the head stuffed and a bear skin rug. I found it disgusting. Deer hunting in NJ is different. We need these guys to prevent an extreme overpopulation.

This reminds me of a King of the Hill episode several years ago where the dad wanted to take his kid deer hunting as a right of passage. They ended up at some hunting resort where they waited in a tree stand and a deer was brought in for them to shoot at point blank range. Both dad and son put down their guns and left disgusted, realizing that was not hunting.

f'in ahole. I hope he losses everything he owns

Yeah. His life is pretty much over as he knows it. His dental practice is going to die, because he won't be able to find enough patients willing to go the the dentist that killed Cecil. If he wants to practice dentistry, eventually he will have to move to another state, where his infamy won't follow him, and try to start a new dental practice. But eventually someone will out him there. He'll end up in a cycle of starting up new practices and moving.

I don't really get the outrage about what "is and isn't" hunting. Lion hunting is legal where he was and the only real question becomes was he aware the paid guides were luring the lion specifically to get it off of protected lands. If not, I really don't see the complaint..if so, I hope there is some way to punish him. Before people accuse me of some nonsense I don't hunt or own/like guns. Would you guys be this upset if someone caught a shark that tagged for that shark app?

Reactions: Piscataway
Yeah. His life is pretty much over as he knows it. His dental practice is going to die, because he won't be able to find enough patients willing to go the the dentist that killed Cecil. If he wants to practice dentistry, eventually he will have to move to another state, where his infamy won't follow him, and try to start a new dental practice. But eventually someone will out him there. He'll end up in a cycle of starting up new practices and moving.
I would bet that doesn't happen. Like all media outrage this will pass(especially if there are no criminal charges). Do you think he kept his hunting a secret from all his employees and patients? Do you think they thought he was going to Africa to watch rugby or surf?

I don't really get the outrage about what "is and isn't" hunting. Lion hunting is legal where he was and the only real question becomes was he aware the paid guides were luring the lion specifically to get it off of protected lands. If not, I really don't see the complaint..if so, I hope there is some way to punish him. Before people accuse me of some nonsense I don't hunt or own/like guns. Would you guys be this upset if someone caught a shark that tagged for that shark app?

Part of the outrage is that no one really believes the dentist when he says he wasn't aware that his guides were illegally leading a protected lion off of protected lands.

The other part of the outrage is when people think of hunting as a sport, they think of the skill required to track and find the game. Having a guide entice the lion and shine a spotlight on him so you can pull a trigger is hardly sport.

Part of the outrage is that no one really believes the dentist when he says he wasn't aware that his guides were illegally leading a protected lion off of protected lands.

The other part of the outrage is when people think of hunting as a sport, they think of the skill required to track and find the game. Having a guide entice the lion and shine a spotlight on him so you can pull a trigger is hardly sport.
I don't disagree but that's how this type of hunting is done. It's not his fault the average person doesn't realize you aren't paying 50k to roam around the bush and hopefully see a lion. as for the lying, I don't doubt people won't believe him but that doesn't mean people in his Minnesota town won't give him the benefit of the doubt.

ADVERTISEMENT