ADVERTISEMENT

OT Lake Real Estate in the Poconos

fg7321

All Conference
Nov 29, 2009
Folks

Just stating to look into this and was looking for opinions and experiences.....

This would initially be a vacation home and then a retirement home from May to Nov. Nov to May would be a condo type in a warmer spot.

Probably around Wallenpaupack.....

Any specific gotchas to be aware of?

Rental market

etc

My Mom had a place in The Hideout a few years back, and it was a pretty cool place not far from central Jersey. IIRC correctly it was a gated community, but it was definitely in the woods--very hilly, bears, deer, the usual things you'd expect in PA--but with paved roads and city water/sewer/electric. Here's the link just to give you an idea. It took about two hours to get there from New Brunswick.
http://www.hideoutassoc.com

My Mom had a place in The Hideout a few years back, and it was a pretty cool place not far from central Jersey. IIRC correctly it was a gated community, but it was definitely in the woods--very hilly, bears, deer, the usual things you'd expect in PA--but with paved roads and city water/sewer/electric. Here's the link just to give you an idea. It took about two hours to get there from New Brunswick.
http://www.hideoutassoc.com

3200 homes???

Not much of a hideout.

3200 homes???

Not much of a hideout.

Yeah, that's a pretty big community. By the way, can someone provide some Poconos 101? What are the high-end places/communities and those that should be avoided?

Folks

Just stating to look into this and was looking for opinions and experiences.....

This would initially be a vacation home and then a retirement home from May to Nov. Nov to May would be a condo type in a warmer spot.

Probably around Wallenpaupack.....

Any specific gotchas to be aware of?

Rental market

etc
Have a vacation home on the SW end of Lake Wallenpaupack for 10 years now. That's what I'd recommend.

What I meant was Lake Wallenpaupack vs. other lakes in the vicinity which are very small comparatively. The SW end of the lake is closer to the river which is the source for the lake and is narrower and shallower.

I live in the tobyhanna/ mt pocono area. Can tell you lake wallenpaupack is a great area to buy a home. Stay away from greentown. Lots of drug problems going on in there. I'm a bit farther out so don't have too much insight on communities though. If you're looking to move more towards tobyhanna I can tell you to stay out of PCP and emerald lakes

3200 homes???

Not much of a hideout.
I can't tell if they have 3200 homes or 3200 residents (perhaps it's both), and even though I'd been there many times it was still tough to tell. Somehow you don't get the sense of a large community at all, perhaps given the size of the properties and the hilly, woodsie nature of the place. Also, many people have a home there a second home, so aren't there all that much. In any case, it did blend the quietude and feel of the woods and nature with the convenience of not having to fill a propane tank or drawing water from a well.

Yeah, that's a pretty big community. By the way, can someone provide some Poconos 101? What are the high-end places/communities and those that should be avoided?

Avoid PCP (Pocono Country Place). Huge crime problem.

NJ 1 what are the good towns? If you have a place on the river is it navigable to the lake?

From what I've heard about vacation homes, they're not a good investment.

Haven't been up there at all in a few years but have heard the same about Pocono Country Place.
My family used to own a house in Arrowhead Lakes (between Mount Pocono and Blakeslee) so I'm a bit biased to that area.

We used to go up to Wallenpaupack on vacation when I was a kid. It was fun, at least back then. And the local chicks were always really accommodating.

Lesson learned, however - check IDs.

You have to think about what you are looking for. Lake Wallenapaupak is a large lake that is very nice and also very popular. There are also a lot of smaller lakes if looking for peace and quiet. For example I have a place on a small about 40 acre lake about a half hour west of Wallenpaupak that does not allow gas engines (so fairly quiet) but also is great for swimming and has wonderful bass fishing.

Lake Wallenpaupack definitely what you want. I go up there for the summer and winter and its great for both seasons

Lk Wallenpaupack can be very noisy with Jet skis . If you want peace and quiet go for a smaller community ....

ADVERTISEMENT