ADVERTISEMENT

OT:LET'S GO METS

Harvey Day today! This is a big series. If they take it v the Nats, the Mets should be buyers; especially since they play the Phils and Braves 14 times in September.

Harvey Day today! This is a big series. If they take it v the Nats, the Mets should be buyers; especially since they play the Phils and Braves 14 times in September.

Yeah....the Mets should be buyers.
But they shop at K-Mart.

Yeah....the Mets should be buyers.
But they shop at K-Mart.

You can find some decent stuff in the bargain bin if you look hard enough. The Mets don't need to add an all-star, they just need a guy who can hit 270ish, take a walk and have a little pop.

They'll probably be bidding on both Justin Upton and Carlos Gomez; whom they've both been reportedly scouting.

The New York Mets....the only MLB team where the pitcher should be the cleanup hitter.
Only on a technicality, as the White Sox have the lowest runs scored to this point, with only 303 through 90 games even with a DH.

Mets are at 317 through 92 game.
Seattle has 320 through 92 games, but again - they get to use a DH.
Phillies at 325 through 94 games, so very close to the Mets' average runs per game - even with the advantage of their home park.

The Braves were trotting Markakis out at cleanup a lot until Freeman got injured and they moved Markakis up to 3rd.

Markakis: .286 AVG, .372 OBP, 0 HR, 38 R, 29 RBI

I'm kind of rooting for him to finish the season with zero HR. Never seen a cleanup hitter do that before!

Also, Ryan Howard is batting cleanup for the Phillies. I would say he's been worse than Duda.

Howard: .227 AVG, .273 OBP, 16 HR, 30 R, 48 RBI.
Duda: .235 AVG, .340 OBP, 12 HR, 43 R, 38 RBI

But let's not be negative - let's look at team ERA:

St Louis: 2.66
Pittsburgh: 2.93
METS: 3.22

Still hanging in with the 3rd strongest pitching performance in MLB this season!

Poor Jon Niese. He has been pitching as well as the rookiesb (6 earned runs in the last 5 starts), and he gets no run support. Is there a statistic for pitchers with the lowest run support? He must lead in that category.

Yes, there is a stat for everything these days!

Run support per start: bottom 12

Jose Quintana (CHW) 2.63
Aaron Harang (PHI) 2.65
Corey Kluber (CLE) 2.65 (this is how a reigning Cy Young winner is 5-10 with a 3.38 ERA)
Jon Lester (CHC) 2.68
Bartolo Colon (NYM) 2.78
Lance Lynn (STL) 2.82
Felix Hernandez (SEA) 2.89
Yovani Gallardo (TEX) 2.95
Cole Hamels (PHI) 3.00
Shelby Miller (ATL) 3.05
Jon Niese (NYM) 3.11
Andrew Cashner (SD) 3.11

The Braves were trotting Markakis out at cleanup a lot until Freeman got injured and they moved Markakis up to 3rd.

Markakis: .286 AVG, .372 OBP, 0 HR, 38 R, 29 RBI

I'm kind of rooting for him to finish the season with zero HR. Never seen a cleanup hitter do that before!
Well, that did it. Markakis just hit a HR to dead center (over the 400' sign) off of Brandon Beachy. He had the most AB this season without a HR.

You can find some decent stuff in the bargain bin if you look hard enough. The Mets don't need to add an all-star, they just need a guy who can hit 270ish, take a walk and have a little pop.

Mets fans....gotta love them
"find some decent stuff in the bargain bin"
'The Mets don't need an all-star, they just need a guy who can hit 270ish, take a walk and have a little pop."
That depends on what your objective is. Obviously the years of losing have made Mets fans expectations very limited. Amazin'.
:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

Just a reminder that the B-Mets are coming to Trenton Thursday for a four game series. It's a great chance to see Nimmo, Conforti, etc., unless they are in Queens before the weekend. $$$$

Collins is truly an idiot. Has no feel for the game. He's bought in Familia so many times for a 4 or even 5 out save this season. Why he would sit on his sorry ass and watch Parnell give a very big game away is beyond me.
When I saw Parnell was in, I realized the game was over. On to the Dodgers.

Collins blamed himself for the loss for not getting Familia up soon enough. He wanted to bring him in but Familia wasn't ready. A

As much as Collins had a relative good year managing, the guy is a loser who has never won anywhere....Not having Familia available in the 8th inning is beyond comprehension........for his stupidity, punish the manager and bench him for a game.......as a player would be if he committed a stupid play.......Collins' stupidity may have caused the Mets a real chance......imagine being 1 game back and having momentum after taking 2 of 3 from the Nats...Oh well....Meet the Mets...where mediocrity; low expectations and non-accountability reign supreme.....

That loss hurts the way they lost with a nice lead late.
Yankees on the other hand have got healthy and have been impressive of late.
Best bullpen in baseball.

"Oh well....Meet the Mets...where mediocrity; low expectations and non-accountability reign supreme....."

Yeah...go back to the beginning of this thread and you'll see Mets fans talking about their Amazins taking over from the Yanks as top dog in the area. They were so giddy back in April. Pretty funny stuff.

:
Here's the batting averages of the 9 guys starting today for the Metsies:

That's pathetic. And Mets fans think they're gonna win with a lineup like that ?
Even funnier is the idea that one more bat will solve the problem.

I can't believe they actually put a weaker lineup out there tonight vs. Kershaw.
Four of the nine with a batting average below .177. The cleanup and #5 hitter under .177
The pitcher is hitting .139 and he's NOT the lowest average guy in the lineup ?
Playoffs ?????
This might be the weakest lineup I've ever seen.
Good times.

Probably waited until he was in Trenton to save travel expenses. Cuddyer has been a waste of a roster spot

Conforto is the 1000th player to put on the Met uniform!

Not exactly. He is the 1000th Met player to appear in an official game. There have been several who have worn the uniform and have logged roster time, but with no official appearances.

Reactions: redking
We have an Ian Thomas sighting! After leaving RU to focus on baseball, he is now a pitcher on the Dodgers and has thwarted the Mets tonight. I'm sure someone will tell him that it's not really this easy.

To quote a text message I was sent 30 minutes ago:

Kelly Johnson and Juan Uribe? I didn't even know those guys were still in the majors.

Both are solid hitters and exactly what the Mets need most at this time. Good pickup at this time and glad to see management trying to make the playoffs and a deep run.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
ADVERTISEMENT