ADVERTISEMENT

OT:LET'S GO METS

The slo-mo of this is incredible. When he swings, 60 pounds of belly fat shifts from his left to his right, and he somehow keeps his feet. An amazing display of athleticism.

The Great Bartolo

Originally posted by KingHigh:
The slo-mo of this is incredible. When he swings, 60 pounds of belly fat shifts from his left to his right, and he somehow keeps his feet. An amazing display of athleticism.
His arms look to be in pretty good shape. Whatever gets him through. To be playing ball and competing at 41 years old is impressive.

Being a Phillies fan, I don't pay full attention to the Mets.

Has your front office issues been straightened out at all yet where you don't mind actually spending money on the team? If not, how long do you think it'll be to get over the whole Ponzi scheme thing or whatever it was?

(And no, I'm not trolling. As a Phillies fan I don't have many positive things to look forward to with our team either.)

They seem to be my only chance for a championship in the teams I follow. However, I don't see any consistent hitters in the lineup, other than maybe Duda. We will find out shortly or TC will be bounced by June 1st. Let's go Mets. $$$$

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:

Has your front office issues been straightened out at all yet where you don't mind actually spending money on the team? If not, how long do you think it'll be to get over the whole Ponzi scheme thing or whatever it was?

(And no, I'm not trolling. As a Phillies fan I don't have many positive things to look forward to with our team either.)
They still don't spend money. They are full on Tampa Bay Rays circa 2008, but not as good.

They still don't spend money. They are full on Tampa Bay Rays circa 2008, but not as good.
This isn't entirely right - they overpayed for Granderson last year and signed Cuddyer this year (although at $8.5 million/year, he's a not a high-priced guy). DeadSpin puts the payroll at arond $101 million, still in the bottom 1/3 but well up from the last couple of years; within the division, it's 3rd, ahead of the Marlins and the Braves, and behind the Nats and Phillies, although the Phillies basically are paying a bunch of guys who aren't doing anything for them. As Harvey, Wheeler, DeGrom et al. enter their arbitration years, the payroll ought to go up considerably.

Originally posted by BeKnighted:

This isn't entirely right - they overpayed for Granderson last year and signed Cuddyer this year (although at $8.5 million/year, he's a not a high-priced guy). DeadSpin puts the payroll at arond $101 million, still in the bottom 1/3 but well up from the last couple of years; within the division, it's 3rd, ahead of the Marlins and the Braves, and behind the Nats and Phillies, although the Phillies basically are paying a bunch of guys who aren't doing anything for them. As Harvey, Wheeler, DeGrom et al. enter their arbitration years, the payroll ought to go up considerably.
That's absolutely pathetic. They should have the 2nd highest payroll every year. What makes you think they'll spend the $$ to keep their pitchers? Remember Jose Reyes? The Wilpons have driven me from the park.

Shocking that $103MM is in the bottom third of spending. The average MLB is just north of $4MM this year. Baseball is awash in money and the cheap Wilpons need to play ball.

I'm disappointed that they didn't get a hitting/fielding SS. It is going to be a big problem this year. Also, they should go get Raphael Soriano, who is sitting at home waiting for a contract.

Absolute pathetic move by Bob Geren or whomever to have Wright steal 2B in 8th inning........minimal gain for huge loss...which just occurred with Wright's hammy pull....he's headed to DL and lord knows how long he'll be out for....

Have the younger guys try to steal 2b...not your 32 year old captain who is injury prone.....

Originally posted by BigEastPhil:

Absolute pathetic move by Bob Geren or whomever to have Wright steal 2B in 8th inning........minimal gain for huge loss...which just occurred with Wright's hammy pull....he's headed to DL and lord knows how long he'll be out for....

Have the younger guys try to steal 2b...not your 32 year old captain who is injury prone.....
Oh c'mon man. He ran and he slid. That is what baseball players do. What, you want him to not run and not slide?

Originally posted by Doctor Worm:

Originally posted by BigEastPhil:

Oh c'mon man. He ran and he slid. That is what baseball players do. What, you want him to not run and not slide?
I agree. This is baseball. Wright is good for 15-20 sb's a year. What are they supposed to say? Hey no more SB attempts that's it? And that steal set up what might have been a big insurance run in what turned out to be only a one-run game. The Mets are not a team that is gonna have 3 guys hitting 30 hr's or anything. They need to manufacture runs sometime. Next I guess he shouldn't dive for any balls hit down the 3rd base line.

Originally posted by Jumba72:

That's absolutely pathetic. They should have the 2nd highest payroll every year. What makes you think they'll spend the $$ to keep their pitchers? Remember Jose Reyes? The Wilpons have driven me from the park.
They don't have a history of trading players during their arbitration years (unlike, say, the A's). Reyes was a free agent. I'm not saying they'll keep the pitchers when they become free agents, but that's a ways off.

7-3 and all alone in first place and a fun team to watch. Duda has been on fire to start the season. Hopefully Wright will be back May 1st. Let's GO Mets!

Wilmer Flores homered? Concerned about hitting besides Cuddyer, Duda and D'Arnaud. 3 hitters, including Grandy, hitting below .200. Yes, it's early, but they have to get the bats going.

Ummm...last year Wright played a full season and stole 8 bases and was caught stealing 5 times....cmon man...this isn't 2009....he is 32 years old now and has lost speed and flexibility....you take it easy with your superstars...and again no need for him to run when winning in the 8th inning....

Originally posted by brianoc:

Wright is not a superstar. He may be the Mets best hope but he is not a superstar.
He's currently 13th among active players in WAR, 14th in career batting average among active players, 15th in career OPS among active players (no mean feat playing at Shea and Citi Field), 15th in career RBIs among active players and a 7-time All Star. Just saying.

Originally posted by Knight Shift:
Wilmer Flores homered? Concerned about hitting besides Cuddyer, Duda and D'Arnaud. 3 hitters, including Grandy, hitting below .200. Yes, it's early, but they have to get the bats going.
First good thing I've seen out of him. Hope he's starting to come around.

This is starting to feel like 1985, when the Mets just missed out on the playoffs and went on to own NYC the rest of the decade. The talent they have to bring up,or trade for better players is among the best in all of baseball.

BeKnighted- do you think Wright puts up superstar numbers this year? He was a very good player and his best years are behind him.

I do not think he ever was a superstar though.

BeKnighted- do you think Wright puts up superstar numbers this year? He was a very good player and his best years are behind him.

I do not think he ever was a superstar though.
He's been having injury problems the last few years, and the hamstring isn't a good sign for this year. But I think he's still capable of doing quite well if he's healthy.

Wright is not a superstar. He may be the Mets best hope but he is not a superstar.
He's currently 13th among active players in WAR, 14th in career batting average among active players, 15th in career OPS among active players (no mean feat playing at Shea and Citi Field), 15th in career RBIs among active players and a 7-time All Star. Just saying.
Agree completely. Wright may not be hall of fame material (certainly not first ballot or two anyway), but he's definitely one of the better players in the league and yes a superstar.

He was on his way to a hall of fame career until he began breaking down 3 years ago. Now durability is a constant issue with him, and with it his production has dropped considerably.

As a big time Mets fan, I'd blame Wright's declining production on 4 things:

1. Health
2. Beaned in the head by Matt Cain (he was gun shy for a while, can you blame him?)
3. Citi Field with the original dimensions being the second coming of the Polo Grounds. Took away all those oppo bombs he had at Shea
4. Lack of productive players around him (awesome with Beltran and Delgado batting around him, didn't have any one of note protecting him until this year and last year with Duda and now Cuddyer. Ike Davis couldve been a help, flamed out quickly here in NY)

All of these factors played into David's declining production for sure. He's a true gamer and last season and other seasons, played thru injuries, maybe at a detriment to the team. Gotta respect that competitive fire though.

Don't think he was ever a superstar, but he is a damn fine ball player and will hold all Mets offensive records by the time he is done. A Met-great, not quite enough production for the Hall. His days of 30 homers are long gone but i think he can come back this season and still hit 290/15/80 rbi, and in a full healthy season could go 290/20/90 with a lot of doubles. Solid numbers in this pitching-dominated post-steroids era

I am a hard marker. David Wright to me is as rock says a fine ballplayer but not a superstar.

I do not want to be critical because he is a class act. Fine ballplayer but not a superstar is not a putdown.

This is a good Mets team. Doing the little things to help win games. Like Eric Campbell having sac flies two games in a row since replacing Wright. Often times in recent years you've seen guys not put the ball in play in situations like that. As long as you have a quality at bat and put the ball in play it can be a productive plate appearance. Even if you don't get a hit.

Originally posted by willisneverrana43:

He was on his way to a hall of fame career until he began breaking down 3 years ago. Now durability is a constant issue with him, and with it his production has dropped considerably.
In 2013, he was about as productive as ever when he played (OPS over .900), but he dropped off a lot last year. The question is whether that's a trend or he can recover.

7 in a row! The first time in 5 years that they've been able to pull that off. Harvey Day tomorrow!

what are the odds for Mets to win the NL East. Would gladly take that now.

edit: WOOOOO I got a Like :)

Reactions: RUfromNJ
Was at the game on Saturday night against the Marlins. I've never experienced Citi Field with a sold out crowd and a great, loud atmosphere. I'm looking forward to getting out to many more of those this year. We Mets fans have been looking for a reason to believe and this feels like a team we can finally rally around.

Well - if you assume the Mets are a 500 club, that projects to 74-74 from here forward. If they finish at 85 wins, that is likely a Wild Card season and not a division crown. Baseball prospectus predicts just that (they give the Nationals the division with 89 wins). Main competition (projected) for the wild card spots: the Padres and the Cubs.

Well - if you assume the Mets are a 500 club, that projects to 74-74 from here forward. If they finish at 85 wins, that is likely a Wild Card season and not a division crown. Baseball prospectus predicts just that (they give the Nationals the division with 89 wins). Main competition (projected) for the wild card spots: the Padres and the Cubs.
WIth that math, if they win just 53% of their games they get to the same 89 wins they project for the Nats. Mets have put themselves in a nice early season position.

I'm in a similar state,,,

Can't stand the Wilpons but going to Citi to see MH and JG this year...

I think they win middle 80's........
So you have them playing .500 ball the next 148 games? That gets them to 85. They really should be thinking about getting to 90 or better off of this start.

The last time the Mets started the season with this good of a record.....1986. Let's Go Mets!!!

Down on the farm Herrera and Reynolds are hitting in AAA. Conforto is crushing in A and may be moved to double a soon. They have some great pieces to trade if they want to make a splash at the deadline. Or will they have Reynolds and Herrera at 2B and SS in 2016.

ADVERTISEMENT