ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lou Lamoriello OUT as Devils GM

mikemarc1

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2005
Yes! He was great in his prime, but made lots of head-scratching decisions the last few years.

He will remain with the organization as Team President..and announced former Penguins GM Ray Shero will take over immediately.

Love the move!

• Sad
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Thanks for posting mikemarc1, this was the first I heard of this. I tend to be fiercely loyal when it comes to my sports rooting interests. I am a former Devils season ticket-holder and had the good fortune to be in the building for two of their cup wins. Lou has enough good will built up with me that I am basically OK with whatever he wants to do. Since he's staying as Team President, he probably realizes it's time for a new direction himself. I'm looking forward to the future with the new regime.

I'll preface this by saying I love and respect what Lou has done for the Devils since 1987!! But this is a horrible move. Shero, like Lou, is a washed up, old-school thinking has been. This is like going from bad to worse. There's a reason this bozo was fired a year a ago by Pitt. Dark days ahead for the New Jersey Devils.

He has done a lot of good but it was time for a change. I don't have enough knowledge of hockey GMs to know if his replacement is a good move or bad move.

I was at the Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals when they swept the Detroit Red Wings!!!!
I think it was 1995 (my memory is getting old).
Great atmosphere even in the old building.

Shero washed up?

Not even 50 years old yet. Huge part of USA hockey. Very well respected hockey guy.

Also has a lot of experience rebuilding rosters. Like the hire.

Just hope his old coach Dan Bylsma doesn't follow him.

The Devils front office need to find a way to attract more Devils Fans in the New Jersey Sports Market because winning 3 Stanley Cups and really being a dynasty, has not helped! If not, I feel their years are numbered in New Jersey....

The Devils front office need to find a way to attract more Devils Fans in the New Jersey Sports Market because winning 3 Stanley Cups and really being a dynasty, has not helped! If not, I feel their years are numbered in New Jersey....

LOL. Devils aren't moving anywhere with new owners and modern arena.

Devils attendance is fine for a team that's been pretty boring to watch for the last 3 seasons.

Lou did more with less than any GM in all sports in my lifetime. Won 3 Stanley Cups never with a top payroll. The acquisition of Scott Stevens was simply brilliant which is why they no longer have that rule. To those that think he has lost it aren't paying attention to what has happened with ownership the the last 9 years our so.
If he wants a job there are 20+ teams that would hire him in a second. Including the Islanders now that they will be clear of the worst arena deal ever in the world of sports

Lou did more with less than any GM in all sports in my lifetime. Won 3 Stanley Cups never with a top payroll. The acquisition of Scott Stevens was simply brilliant which is why they no longer have that rule. To those that think he has lost it aren't paying attention to what has happened with ownership the the last 9 years our so.
If he wants a job there are 20+ teams that would hire him in a second. Including the Islanders now that they will be clear of the worst arena deal ever in the world of sports

After such a succesful season, why would the Isles ax Snow and hire a 72-year old WAY past his prime? Not gonna happen. No one will hire him.

Love Lamoriello, and consider him one of the BEST GMs in all of sports while he was in his prim.. The way he built teams, without the high payroll and star players, so quickly will not be matched. But he's 70+ years old..and hasn't truly adjusted to the new NHL. 4 playoff misses in 5 seasons isn't gonna cut it.

What's the rule you're referring to?

What's the rule you're referring to?
There was a time if you signed a free agent from another team the other team could select a player from the acquiring team. The acquiring team would post there player to be acquired. St. Louis signed Brendan Shanahan. Offered up a nobody. Lou figured they would and put Scott Stevens name into the envelope for the arbitrator. Devils got Stevens. A no brainer.

Actually it seems you have not been paying attention. As much as I love everything Lou has done for the Devils he has not been a good GM at all for the greater part of post lockout. Always seemed a step behind the new Nhl way of playing. Mcgillis, Malakhov, Mogilny.... when the league was opening up with faster more wide open style. More recently when the league continues to get younger he continued to stockpile older forwards past there better years. Refusing to make any changes to the scouting dept (Conte) that hasn't found a top 6 forward since Travis Zajac.

Also though never the top payroll they were always quietly top 10. He managed yhe cap very poorly most years even giving away a high draft pick to get out of the mess he created. As an executive people may line up to hire Lou but as a GM there would be no line for the current version.

did he rresign? I got home from work about an hour ago and shocked when I saw the news. a sad day indeed for Devils fans. Truly, I'm just very surprised

Actually it seems you have not been paying attention. As much as I love everything Lou has done for the Devils he has not been a good GM at all for the greater part of post lockout. Always seemed a step behind the new Nhl way of playing. Mcgillis, Malakhov, Mogilny.... when the league was opening up with faster more wide open style. More recently when the league continues to get younger he continued to stockpile older forwards past there better years. Refusing to make any changes to the scouting dept (Conte) that hasn't found a top 6 forward since Travis Zajac.

Also though never the top payroll they were always quietly top 10. He managed yhe cap very poorly most years even giving away a high draft pick to get out of the mess he created. As an executive people may line up to hire Lou but as a GM there would be no line for the current version.

Lou has always stated the "R word" (rebuilding) is not in his vocabulary hence you get what you said. Like in any sport, sometimes you have to take a step back to take two forward. Lou would never do that and that's part of the reason I thing this is the right move regardless of how it went down. I think that started to change this year as the Devils were clearly sellers at the trade deadline' exporting Jager and Zidlicky for picks. Hope Lou writes a book someday about his philosophy, etc. That's one mind I'd like to pick.

did he rresign? I got home from work about an hour ago and shocked when I saw the news. a sad day indeed for Devils fans. Truly, I'm just very surprised

Officially he "resigned" as GM..and is staying on as President. But there's a report he was pushed out by new ownership..

I guess kind of how J-Baum "resigned"...to make a Rutgers reference.

Sad day indeed as a Devils fan, but the time was right.

LOL. Devils aren't moving anywhere with new owners and modern arena.

Devils attendance is fine for a team that's been pretty boring to watch for the last 3 seasons.

Really.... Here are attendance rankings for Devils for last few seasons:

26 out of 30 Teams in 2014-2015,
24 out of 30 Teams in the 2013-2014
20 out of 30 Teams in 2012-2013
24 out of 30 Teams in the 2011-2012 Season (Stanley Cup Final Year)

Link as proof- http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

You consider this good?

Attendance would be in the top 10 if they moved them to say, Quebec?

You consider this good?

where did I consider it "good"?

For a team that's been brutal the last 3 years..there's teams with far worse attendance issues than NJ. the Rock attendance is fine and will only get better as the team improves.

Heard the same argument since 95..Devils don't draw..they're moving. Please, give it up.

Now back to the Lamoriello discussion.

Only ones who dwell on the Devils attendance issues are the Rangers fans and their 1 Stanley cup win in the last 75 years. If we are talking about things that are really pathetic.

Must really suck to have been a Rangers fan over the last 3 quarters of a century.

Good luck tonight against washington

You consider this good?

Rangers fans should worry about the Capitals and not Devils attendance. Every time I've been to a Devils game this past season, the attendance was always solid, not always sold out but definitely well north of 15k. I think Florida will become Nordiques 2.0 if Seattle or Hamilton, Ont doesn't get them first.

Rangers fans should worry about the Capitals and not Devils attendance. Every time I've been to a Devils game this past season, the attendance was always solid, not always sold out but definitely well north of 15k. I think Florida will become Nordiques 2.0 if Seattle or Hamilton, Ont doesn't get them first.

You obviously missed the point..... Nothing to do with Rangers!

You obviously missed the point..... Nothing to do with Rangers!

I missed the point too, i guess. A whole discussion on Lou Lamoriello then a shot a Devils attendance.

Still not sure the point...but whatever.

Funny I've always felt the same way about Florida since they put the new division structure in place. That divisional placement was ready made for Florida to move to Hamilton, OT or Quebec City without having to change any of the divisions. That being said I wouldn't write off Seattle or if there's an interested group Portland either.

Guess I have to go there..... No one cares about your 3 cups, that is the problem! Hence my original post.................

Wow, I knew that the new board format had extra features like being able to store posts for a long time, but I didn't realize that it was able to store and then post comments from as far back as the early 90s such as the one quoted above. What an age we live in.

Reactions: mikemarc1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT