ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Loud Motorcycles: Annoying or Get Off My Lawn

batts

All American
Jun 7, 2001
I spent a beautiful sunny afternoon with my wife in Morristown on Sunday. We had cocktails and dined at an outdoor cafe. The only thing that momentarily spoiled the ambiance of our afternoon were very loud Harleys and the like with obviously doctored tail pipes to make them sound even louder when they cruised up and down the street. Why should we put up with these loud and obnoxious noises that serve no useful function other than to make the riders feel "cool"? Do I have a legitimate gripe or am I being a crusty, middle aged old fart?

I agree with you. I also hate the same thing that they do with some imports. I am sorry a loud Honda civic doesn't impress me. I do think there should be a noise limit and they should be fined.

I spent a beautiful sunny afternoon with my wife in Morristown on Sunday. We had cocktails and dined at an outdoor cafe. The only thing that momentarily spoiled the ambiance of our afternoon were very loud Harleys and the like with obviously doctored tail pipes to make them sound even louder when they cruised up and down the street. Why should we put up with these loud and obnoxious noises that serve no useful function other than to make the riders feel "cool"? Do I have a legitimate gripe or am I being a crusty, middle aged old fart?

Have heard the argument that they are purposely made that loud so other drivers will hear them on the highway before changing lanes. But you would think that there would be a limit to it. They used to set off car alarms all the time in Hoboken as they came down my street, think they got a kick out of that.

The pipes aren't doctored they are called drag pipes or straight pipes they come with baffles or without. Baffles are removable.
some Like loud and some dont.
if yer gonna sit by the road in a busy area yer gonna have to deal with road noise.
HD motor sound is music to my ears
Riding HD's since 78

Last edited:
Depends....there's loud and then there's obnoxious LOUD - like when purposely revving in a residential area at 10 o'clock at night just to make all the noise they possibly could and wake the dead - that is annoying as many other riders just ride normally - that's loud but not overwhelmingly so.

Not a bike fan so wrong guy to ask. Not a fan of the loudness.

Loud bikes and loud boats are usually illegal as most towns have noise ordinances. But rarely, if ever enforced.

I hate it. Mostly middle aged fat guys trying to be cool/midlife crisis and wanting attention. That's fine if you want to ride one but there is no reason it needs to be heard a half mile away.

Hate the aftermarket exhaust systems for those cheap little cars too.

Reactions: drewbagel423

Was it these guys?

latest

The pipes aren't doctored they are called drag pipes or straight pipes they come with baffles or without. Baffles are removable.
if yet gonna sit by the road in a busy area yet gonna have to deal with road noise.
Riding HD's since 78

Thank god for a neutral opinion!

Having an issue with a neighbor right now that is along these lines. This jerkoff has Porche GT, which for those don't know, sound like a rocket. Most of the walls in my house are glass, and it literally shakes them when starts, revs, and drives (which he does poorly) this thing which he does every Sunday, at 6:00am. Meanwhile, he has the nerve to run down my landscaping guys when they use equipment on a Saturday.

I am pretty sure he is an alcoholic. This story is not going to end well, that much I know.

Reactions: MikeR0102
Having an issue with a neighbor right now that is along these lines. This jerkoff has Porche GT, which for those don't know, sound like a rocket. Most of the walls in my house are glass, and it literally shakes them when starts, revs, and drives (which he does poorly) this thing which he does every Sunday, at 6:00am. Meanwhile, he has the nerve to run down my landscaping guys when they use equipment on a Saturday.
You need to invite your landscaping guys to show up earlier on Saturday.

You need to invite your landscaping guys to show up earlier on Saturday.

These are God fearing dudes who didn't take kindly to getting yelled at. I confronted him and said if he had something to say to say it to me. He then proceeded to tell me it is illegal to have machines being used on a Sat., which I am pretty sure isn't true. They usually come on Wed. anyway, which having them come on a Sat. just to make a point is cutting off my nose to spite my face.

He is a retired attorney with no friends or family, so I am sure he is just itching for some focus.

I'm going with the crusty, old fart option. A lovely afternoon with your wife, "momentarily spoiled" by people driving by for what - 15 seconds at most? And you complain about it on the internet 2 days later? Just utterly ridiculous.

And the old people tell us that WE'RE the ones who bitch and moan.

Bikers claim they need loud pipes to be safe on the road, although such loud pipes are illegal in most jurisdictions.
It seems to me, then, that if a vehicle can't be driven safely unless it is driven illegally, it should be by definition an illegal vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy

I am pretty sure he is an alcoholic. This story is not going to end well, that much I know.

I guess you should not throw stones.

bunch of nanny-staters! hahah
If it is just a moment who cares? I dont ride but I can attest that you hear these guys before you see them.
Growing up we had douche bags in the neighborhood who would 'work' on their bikes all hours of the night. those guys are asses.

Reactions: Rokodesh
They have to be loud to be safe on the road? Tell that to the idiot I saw last week who was revving the throttle while white-lining at 60 mph through 10 mph traffic.

They may help safe motorcyclists be safe on the road... but there are plenty of idiots who are just a hazard no matter how loud they are.

Bikers claim they need loud pipes to be safe on the road, although such loud pipes are illegal in most jurisdictions.
It seems to me, then, that if a vehicle can't be driven safely unless it is driven illegally, it should be by definition an illegal vehicle.

I agree. NJ Law requires that all motorcycles be equipped with a muffler in good working order. By definition, a muffler should muffle or decrease engine and exhaust noise. The ridiculous after market tail pipes used by the Hells Angel's wannabees enhance noise levels.

I agree. NJ Law requires that all motorcycles be equipped with a muffler in good working order. By definition, a muffler should muffle or decrease engine and exhaust noise. The ridiculous after market tail pipes used by the Hells Angel's wannabees enhance noise levels.
What's with the wannabe comment, very ignorant on your part.
In NJ motorcycles are not inspected as other vehicles. Also, LOUD pipes are legal as long as they have baffles in them. Furtherther more I dont know of anyone who's been pulled over for loud pipes.

Don't like the loud noise. Our farm is on a lightly traveled road. They like to ride my road on the weekends because of this and it sucks to hear. We moved here for the peace and quiet as did my 5 neighbors who own farms. We are the only occupants on this road. We all hate these riders with the loud pipes.

Morristown has a noise ordinance.

http://www.morristownvt.org/images/Noise_Ordinance.pdf

It is clearly a violation of the law. People should not have to constantly complain about loud motorcycles on local roads and Cigarette boats going down a lagoon at over 100 Db where you can't hear the person you are talking to or hear yourself think. Towns need to enforce the law.

Nobody here is saying there shouldn't be motorcycles or Cigarette boats in NJ. We are saying Grown Men should be considerate and not feel the need to remove the mufflers from their toys to prove your manhood in a pissing match ritual with other toy owners.

Reactions: koleszar
In NJ motorcycles are not inspected as other vehicles. Also, LOUD pipes are legal as long as they have baffles in them. Furtherther more I dont know of anyone who's been pulled over for loud pipes.

By wannabees, I am referring to riders who dress as if they were members of an outlaw motorcycle gang. If they are not members of such a gang but dress as if they were, then they are wannabees. Hell, if they want embarrass themselves by pretending that they are bad ass outlaws, more power to them. To each his own I suppose.

Reactions: Bagarocks

They are not legal if they make excessive noise, which we all know that is what pipes are designed to do. Morristown has a noise ordinance, I posted it in another thread. The motorcycles refered to by the OP are in violation of that ordinance, and clearly are not legal.

But you are right, I don't know of any town in NJ that enforces the noise ordinance for Motorcycles or Boats.

if yer gonna sit by the road in a busy area yer gonna have to deal with road noise.
Riding HD's since 78

So, its ok to break the law (noise ordinance) because you like it and don't care about anybody else. And of course while you are making yourself happy with your noise, everybody else should stay off the roads or not eat at outdoor cafes because they should just accept the fact that if you would like to break the law they should just understand that its just tough s_ _t for them?

Wow, what a wonderful, considerate person you are, extremely mature, and probably the kind of neighbor everybody in America would want living next door to them.

So, its ok to break the law (noise ordinance) because you like it and don't care about anybody else. And of course while you are making yourself happy with your noise, everybody else should stay off the roads or not eat at outdoor cafes because they should just accept the fact that if you would like to break the law they should just understand that its just tough s_ _t for them?

Wow, what a wonderful, considerate person you are, extremely mature, and probably the kind of neighbor everybody in America would want living next door to them.
Wow yer really putting words in my mouth arentcha
Let see road noise... Trucks cars motor cycle police cars fire trucks ambulances extremely loud car stereos all contribute to ROAD NOISE.
Where the rest of your hyperbole comes from is beyond me.
One question When was the last time you willfully went over the speed limit?
Rolled through a stop sign? spedup when the light turned yellow?
Enough said or are you the only perfect driver in NJ?

Wow yer really putting words in my mouth arentcha
Let see road noise... Trucks cars motor cycle police cars fire trucks ambulances extremely loud car stereos all contribute to ROAD NOISE.
Where the rest of your hyperbole comes from is beyond me.
One question When was the last time you willfully went over the speed limit?
Rolled through a stop sign? spedup when the light turned yellow?
Enough said or are you the only perfect driver in NJ?

When was the last time a motorcyclist rolled through a stop sign, went through a yellow? This is not what we are talking about. This isn't about who is a perfect driver, there are none in NJ, Nobody here is talking about how people drive, that is another subject why are you obfuscating? This is about Motorcycles creating unwanted noise while people are trying to enjoy some quiet time.

You are intentionally breaking the law and know it will bother others because you like it and you don't care. Stop using well people "roll through stop signs" so I should be able to annoy people with my loud motorcycle.

Are you comparing background road noise to the noise a motorcycle with pipes makes? Are you serious?

Go back and read what you wrote. I am not putting any words in your mouth. You said it all.

You like the noise, and you don't care about anybody else not liking loud motorcycle noise because anybody who is near a road should expect that kind of noise.

BTW, I am not against motorcycles, there are many mature and considerate motorcyclists out there, and I have absolutely no issue with them.

I hate those loud bikers with a passion. It's one of the most obnoxious behaviors that I see on a regular basis, up there with public cigar smoking.

Reactions: mal359
I agree that ridiculously loud motorcycles, rice cars, trucks and so forth are obnoxious. Also agree that it's not that big of a deal when you're getting day-drunk on 4th of July weekend in Morristown. So count me as a "yes" to both questions in the OPs last sentence.

Reactions: mal359
Riding HD's since 78

When was the last time a motorcyclist rolled through a stop sign, went through a yellow? This is not what we are talking about. This isn't about who is a perfect driver, there are none in NJ, Nobody here is talking about how people drive, that is another subject why are you obfuscating? This is about Motorcycles creating unwanted noise while people are trying to enjoy some quiet time.

You are intentionally breaking the law and know it will bother others because you like it and you don't care. Stop using well people "roll through stop signs" so I should be able to annoy people with my loud motorcycle.

Are you comparing background road noise to the noise a motorcycle with pipes makes? Are you serious?

Go back and read what you wrote. I am not putting any words in your mouth. You said it all.

You like the noise, and you don't care about anybody else not liking loud motorcycle noise because anybody who is near a road should expect that kind of noise.

BTW, I am not against motorcycles, there are many mature and considerate motorcyclists out there, and I have absolutely no issue with them.
read my post again, you ride on such a high horse you couldn't see my point of calling you a hypocrite!
No where did I say anything you ave posted that I said! If yer gonna sit by the road yer gonna have ROAD NOISE period What do only Motorcycle's make Road Noise? I said some people like loud and some don't,
I said an HD motor is music to my ears. Did I say I like DRAG PIPES and loud pipes. NO I didn't.
Did I say it was ok to break the law? no I didn't. So by reading above yer putting words in my mouth.

Lets get this much straight Are ya listenin? You said Bikes r breaking the sound laws, well laws r laws so you cant pick and choose which ones are relevant to your arguments.
I ride a Harley that has a performance package with pipes that are tuned at the factory for maximum performance that are louder than STOCK (ie. not drag pipes not straight pipes) pipes. They meet all Federal DOT regulations and meet all noise regulations.
So all yer gobbledy gook about laws an crap are just that crap!
I love people who form opinions about others such as "wannabe Hells Angels" And how Im intentionally breaking the law with a street legal HD that would pass any motor vehicle inspection!

In the mean time its hypocrite's like YOU about how loud bikes "break the laws" while Im sure you daily go out and break multiple DMV laws on a weekly basis. speeding, crossing double yellow lines to turn and so on, your a typical hypocrite do as I say not as I do!

Are you really from NJ? Not many places you can go without hearing noise from a road. But then again you must be from Jersey cuz ya bitch about sumpthin just ta bitch about it while putting words in peoples mouths.

We also spent much of the afternoon on Sunday in Morristown, eating a late lunch (~2 pm) at an outdoor table at Marjan Persian Grill (fantastic food) downtown on 202. Walked around the downtown at the little park at the center of town and did a little shopping, then went to Washington's Headquarters and finished up at the Arboretum - quite a nice day. Heard some loud motorcycles, but didn't really bother me; wife was a bit annoyed, though. Not sure if they were "illegal" loud or not, though.

read my post again, you ride on such a high horse you couldn't see my point of calling you a hypocrite!
No where did I say anything you ave posted that I said! If yer gonna sit by the road yer gonna have ROAD NOISE period What do only Motorcycle's make Road Noise? I said some people like loud and some don't,
I said an HD motor is music to my ears. Did I say I like DRAG PIPES and loud pipes. NO I didn't.
Did I say it was ok to break the law? no I didn't. So by reading above yer putting words in my mouth.

Lets get this much straight Are ya listenin? You said Bikes r breaking the sound laws, well laws r laws so you cant pick and choose which ones are relevant to your arguments.
I ride a Harley that has a performance package with pipes that are tuned at the factory for maximum performance that are louder than STOCK (ie. not drag pipes not straight pipes) pipes. They meet all Federal DOT regulations and meet all noise regulations.
So all yer gobbledy gook about laws an crap are just that crap!
I love people who form opinions about others such as "wannabe Hells Angels" And how Im intentionally breaking the law with a street legal HD that would pass any motor vehicle inspection!

In the mean time its hypocrite's like YOU about how loud bikes "break the laws" while Im sure you daily go out and break multiple DMV laws on a weekly basis. speeding, crossing double yellow lines to turn and so on, your a typical hypocrite do as I say not as I do!

Are you really from NJ? Not many places you can go without hearing noise from a road. But then again you must be from Jersey cuz ya bitch about sumpthin just ta bitch about it while putting words in peoples mouths.

We are talking about loud motorcycles. Nothing else, Stop bringing up superfluous mumbo jumbo.

You think loud motorcycles are ok. You believe that anybody sitting next to a road should expect it.

Leave out all the other crap, sorry I disagree with you. And if you think that when you get a ticket for violating a noise ordinance you can go into court and say people roll through stop signs, etc. as a defense, good luck.

You have no idea how silly you sound saying I am a hypocrite. Your ridiculous accusation boils down to me being a hypocrite because I don't appreciate loud motorcycles breaking a noise ordinance and interfering with my speech because I may have rolled through a stop sign at some point in my life? Seriously? That's hilarious.

Bottom line, if you think you are a mature and considerate motorcyle rider, all power to you. You have the right to think whatever you want. Have a wonderful day.

By wannabees, I am referring to riders who dress as if they were members of an outlaw motorcycle gang. If they are not members of such a gang but dress as if they were, then they are wannabees. Hell, if they want embarrass themselves by pretending that they are bad ass outlaws, more power to them. To each his own I suppose.
Says the guy pretending to be a gangster. The irony is thick with this one.

ADVERTISEMENT