ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mets on verge of pulling off big trade

Oh the pain ! Maybe the best trade is the one you don't make.
Sounds like the cheapsake Mets backed out due to money issues. They asked the Brewers to cover some of Gomez' $9m salary for next year and they said no. Looks like the Mets then used the "medical" angle to back out. What a Mickey Mouse org!

Sounds like the cheapsake Mets backed out due to money issues. They asked the Brewers to cover some of Gomez' $9m salary for next year and they said no. Looks like the Mets then used the "medical" angle to back out. What a Mickey Mouse org!
It seems pretty clear that he's had an ongoing hip issue.
Here's a link to the Brewers blog saying just that last month:
m.jsonline.com/sports/blogs/307220301.html

Why would a team trade for an injured CF, when they already have one on the roster?

It's Wheeler and Flores for Gomez, and I don't like it,in fact Flores has more HR's and 3 less RBI's than Gomez. How is that the big bat they needed.
Or it is the Brewers and Boras trying to spin the situation to ensure that Gomez' trade value stays high.

"If the Mets would trade Wheeler and Flores for Todd Frazier I think it would be a better deal."

Poof !
Wake up...you're dreaming.

"If the Mets would trade Wheeler and Flores for Todd Frazier I think it would be a better deal."

Poof !
Wake up...you're dreaming.
Frazier's stats are similar to Gomez's

Both are 29

For 2013 and 2014
Gomez hit 284 with 23.5 hr and 73 RBIs per season
Frazier hit 254 with 24 hr and 76.5 RBIs per season

For 2015
Gomez is hitting 262 with 8 hr and 43 RBIs (Compare to Cuddyer's 250 avg with 8 hr and 30 RBIs)
Frazier is hitting 271 with 27 hr and 67 RBIs

Frazier's stats are similar to Gomez's

Both are 29

For 2013 and 2014
Gomez hit 284 with 23.5 hr and 73 RBIs per season
Frazier hit 254 with 24 hr and 76.5 RBIs per season

For 2015
Gomez is hitting 262 with 8 hr and 43 RBIs (Compare to Cuddyer's 250 avg with 8 hr and 30 RBIs)
Frazier is hitting 271 with 27 hr and 67 RBIs

A few points of information:
Gomez turns 30 in December. Frazier next February. Not a huge difference, but Gomez is from the Dominican Republic where players have lied about their age in the past.

Gomez' career OPS: .735 (OBP - .315 Slugging - .420) OPS+ = 98
Frazier's career OPS: .797 (OBP - .325 Slugging - .472) OPS+ = 116
For those who aren't familiar with sabremetrics OPS+ is the home ballpark averaged out OPS to provide a better way to compare players. Higher numbers are of course better.

Gomez' 2015 season OPS: .751 (OBP - .328 Slugging - .423) OPS+ = 105
Frazier's 2015 season OPS: .886 (OBP - .326 Slugging - .560) OPS+ = 139

They aren't similar at all. Frazier is considerably more productive at the plate.

FWIW, it is now being reported that the Astros have landed Gomez in exchange for four prospects.

If the Mets would trade Wheeler and Flores for Todd Frazier I think it would be a better deal.

There is absolutely no chance that Cincy makes that deal. However, if the Mets want Bruce, I believe that package will get the deal done. From what I am reading, Cincy covets Wheeler, but the Mets would prefer to bring back someone who can play center, which Bruce has not done since his rookie year.

Not sure what this says about Lagares. In the aborted Gomez trade, the Mets reportedly first proposed Wheeler/Lagares, but Milwaukee was fond of neither his elbow condition nor his contract extension.

Sounds like Wheeler and a prospect is heading to the Reds for Jay Bruce; a more expensive and less productive player than Carlos Gomez.

That being said, only G Stanton has more HR's since the start of 2011.

Cespedes for Michael Fulmer and Luis Cessa. Fulmer was their top remaining pitching prospect who will step right into the Tigers' rotation. A steep price for a rental. Alderson said he was willing to overpay, and he was true to his word.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT