ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MLB HOFer Ryne Sandberg-Bad news, prayers needed

Anyone have medical insight on how treatable this is? They are supposed to put a statue of him up at Wrigley field on June 23.

Only 64 but this is another reason for getting exams from at least age 50 . PSA…,finger wave by your Doc… history in the family… at least if caught early you have a chance.

Tough news. As a huge Cubs fan, he was one of my all-time favorite players growing up. He could do it all and it was great knowing that second base was locked down for a decade or so.

Tough news. As a huge Cubs fan, he was one of my all-time favorite players growing up. He could do it all and it was great knowing that second base was locked down for a decade or so.
As a Met fan- he was the guy I hated to face but also always had a ton of respect for. Always seemed to carry himself the right way. Sort of reminds me of the way Jeter played.
Prayers to him...

Announced he is battling metastatic prostate cancer, ugh,.
Only 64 but this is another reason for getting exams from at least age 50 . PSA…,finger wave by your Doc… history in the family… at least if caught early you have a chance.
Forget 50. I started exams at 40 and was diagnosed with this at 44. One of if not the most treatable and curable forms of cancer if discovered early. Strikes and kills African-American men at a higher rate for some reason. Prayers for the best for him.

Forget 50. I started exams at 40 and was diagnosed with this at 44. One of if not the most treatable and curable forms of cancer if discovered early. Strikes and kills African-American men at a higher rate for some reason. Prayers for the best for him.
Actually started at an earlier age with kidney infection from stones at 21… have over the years been checked because of several more stone occurrences. Also normal yearly physicals. Yes , it is treatable if found early enough but realize in some forms it can come in a highly aggressive form. Sandberg was a great player for sure.

How did they find yours? From what i understand our detection methods are a bit, let's say unrefined for such a prevalent disease.
Prostate specific antigen blood test (PSA) and a finger or two up the proper are the two most common screening tools.

guy was awesome, just pure class, drive, quiet determination, lockdown defense, solid offense. big fan, have his rookie card too! hope he gets better

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Prostate specific antigen blood test (PSA) and a finger or two up the proper are the two most common screening tools.
This. Annual exam by the urologist. The blood testing came afterwards just as part confirmation and as testing of Gleason score, psa level etc. Gleason score is how its determined how aggresive it is. A full body scan was done to check for any spread.

Last edited:
Survivor here too. Diagnosed right before the Covid shutdown. Elevated PSA at yearly physical and confirmed with biopsy. Caught very early. Watched it for 18 months then treated with Cyberknife radation.

Luck is a big thing in life . Hearing and ad yesterday that 1 out every 3 people will test positive for cancer. Not a comforting statistic if correct.

Anyone have medical insight on how treatable this is? They are supposed to put a statue of him up at Wrigley field on June 23.

Prostate cancer is very treatable: multiple options surgery, chemo, radiation seeds, cyber knife radiation.

Metastatic cancer anything is the problem. Depending on where it has spread and at what point they are finding it the "treatability" of it is possible or it's more palliative.

Last edited:
As a Met fan- he was the guy I hated to face but also always had a ton of respect for. Always seemed to carry himself the right way. Sort of reminds me of the way Jeter played.
Prayers to him...
You know what's weird, I picked up that Feinstein book on the minor leagues again after buying it several years ago. Figured it would be fun to read in anticipation of spring training.

There was a passage in there about Sandberg wanting to manage in the majors but paying his dues at the minor league level before he got a shot at managing the Phillies, which ultimately didn't work out. A lot of guys in the minors respected him for that. Then I see this news after reading that.

Since we’re on the subject, also advise folks to start screening their colons. Medical guidance is 45 right now, but incidence of colon cancer on the rise in younger folks.

Out of an abundance of caution, got a colonoscopy at 40 and found/removed 6 polyps. All benign but glad they didn’t fester for 5 more years where they could have become a problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT