ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mods....What Are the Accepted Topics For OT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
No it's not a faux palindrome and I'm neither mad nor making fun of you.

The question is that a recent post (how's that for not reposting it) was moved to the CE board. I (and others) post OT topics here because it gets the most eyeballs...and responses.

So seriously, are there some OT's that are "kosher" while others are "traife" or will this thread suffer the same fate.

I really would like to know the answer since I see the process as arbitrary and perhaps politically motivated.

Thanks

MO

The question I think you're asking is what gets a thread moved to the CE board - and I don't think that's necessarily caused by the topic.

Just from observation, threads get relegated to the CE board when one of two things happens: 1) they get divisively political, or 2) the tone of the discussion becomes toxic.

For my own part, once a thread gets moved to the CE board it's as good as deleted/locked.

I'm all in favor of bouncing more OT off the board. Particularly those that go in the current events/politics direction. There must be plenty of politics and conspiracy theory boards out there if you look.

Slightly more tolerant of the lifestyle ones at least until camp opens.

just my opinion.. if the mods moved all OT's over to the other board it would prolly make a much more fun board to post on instead of being a politically driven cesspool of people b!tching at eachother all the time.. a thread about a movie? put it over there.. favorite foods? recipies? etc? over there... books? over there.. afterall the board is call current events, politics, and OFF TOPIC banter :sunglasses: .. just my opinion however

just my opinion.. if the mods moved all OT's over to the other board it would prolly make a much more fun board to post on instead of being a politically driven cesspool of people b!tching at eachother all the time.. a thread about a movie? put it over there.. favorite foods? recipies? etc? over there... books? over there.. afterall the board is call current events, politics, and OFF TOPIC banter :sunglasses: .. just my opinion however

I tend to agree.

Reactions: R1776U
I tend to agree.

I disagree. The CE board is really driven by partisan political debate. Moving non-political OT threads to that board would do one of two things. (1) It would cause the CE board to become a non-partisan board, in which case those who enjoy partisan political debate would need a new board for their discussion. (2) The CE board would remain a partisan political board, in which case those who are not interested in partisan debate would continue to avoid that board and the OT topics posted there.

I don't see any middle ground in which that board is both a home for loosely-moderated partisan discussion and a home for non-political OT topics that enjoy wide readership and discussion.

If you want to move OT topics off the football board, then create a new OT board. The CE board is not the right venue.

I disagree. The CE board is really driven by partisan political debate. Moving non-political OT threads to that board would do one of two things. (1) It would cause the CE board to become a non-partisan board, in which case those who enjoy partisan political debate would need a new board for their discussion. (2) The CE board would remain a partisan political board, in which case those who are not interested in partisan debate would continue to avoid that board and the OT topics posted there.

I don't see any middle ground in which that board is both a home for loosely-moderated partisan discussion and a home for non-political OT topics that enjoy wide readership and discussion.

If you want to move OT topics off the football board, then create a new OT board. The CE board is not the right venue.

This doesn't make any sense.

Boards are divided into threads. Somebody who doesn't want to engage in a volatile, politically charged debate has the very easy option of simply not engaging those threads. There's no reason why a participant can't pick and choose the threads they read and respond to. I do it all the time.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
If the CE board were burned to the ground and replaced by a true and thriving OT board, and those seeking an unmoderated partisan board went elsewhere, I certainly wouldn't shed a tear.

I just don't think it would work.

We have boards for "other sports" and "rutgers issues" and no one really goes there - the big news is always brought over to the football board. Even the basketball boards don't enjoy the same level of participation and community as the football board (even in February, when there's no college football going on, and basketball is in fulls wing) - and that's largely because the football board is more of a Rutgers community board. Fragmenting the community by enforcing a football-only thread filter isn't going to build it or make it stronger.

The question is that a recent post (how's that for not reposting it) was moved to the CE board. I (and others) post OT topics here because it gets the most eyeballs...and responses.

So seriously, are there some OT's that are "kosher" while others are "traife" or will this thread suffer the same fate.

I really would like to know the answer since I see the process as arbitrary and perhaps politically motivated.

Thanks

MO
LOL @MO
psychedelic-rock.jpg

Reactions: RutgersMO
Just from observation, threads get relegated to the CE board when one of two things happens: 1) they get divisively political, or 2) the tone of the discussion becomes toxic.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! And to add to that, the mods aren't always around the boards and reading every topic, so I'd highly suggest using the report function if anybody has any issues to directly bring them to our attention. We may or may not agree with your grievance, but we'll at least be able to look at it.

I've suggested a new OT board as well, but it's not my decision. For what it's worth, while the Rutgers board doesn't get a lot of traffic, there is a ton of breaking news on that board. A guy who helps run DevCo? is always on the board providing updates and looking for suggestions to make New Brunswick a more enjoyable place for all.

Moving political OTs to the CE boars to quickly would deprive the normal members of seeing how the political inclind members discuss their political differences

Conservitives :
simpsons-movie-angry-mob.jpg

Liberals :
2170339-52469-189308-Rabble1jpg-620x.jpg

those that just like to read the political OTs:
29xg5dz.jpg

Wait a minute.........South Park against Springfield........that's way too political for this board!

Reactions: MADHAT1
I personally like the OT parts of the football board - a lot of people seemed to be helped by them (myself included). I think most know that a strictly OT sub-board would not work because it wouldn't get any traffic. Furthermore, as someone else alluded to the football board probably keeps a percentage of its visitors, who would otherwise ignore it, interested throughout the year.

The question I think you're asking is what gets a thread moved to the CE board - and I don't think that's necessarily caused by the topic.

For my own part, once a thread gets moved to the CE board it's as good as deleted/locked.

This post is pretty spot-on. There is a core that wants ALL OT posts moved to another board. There is another core who wants NOTHING moved to another board. My stance is that, on a slow news day, things can stay here as long as they don't bust out into a bar room brawl (or start heading in that direction). That is open to interpretation since there are multiple moderators who have different interpretations of when a thread is heading downhill.........If we are talking about the first week of the season or the days leading into a big game, we push a lot more things over to that board. The first topics slated for movement are always the political ones for one reason - the people most likely to derail the threads are attracted to those threads, and they tend to get nasty real fast.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Screw

Don't care if you're laughing at me, with me....this made me smile.

I love the psychedelic reference....especially since I graduated in '68 (Hendrix, Cream) / still absolutely LOVE Alice In Wonderland.

Whoooo R U?

MO
Nah not at ya.

Some people here give good OT advice on food, vacations, cars, homes etc. That should stay. It's obvious which threads get moved. Just silly.

Thanks

MO

which one got moved ? was it the mayo vs. miracle whip thread ? I have to agree with the decision - it was getting a little crazy and heated. One guy even suggested flavored mayo !!!

Last edited:

I agree 100%. Everyone knows never to talk politics among good company, or it will stop being good company. The only OT threads that should be allowed here are football related threads aka tailgate, game day, visiting fans, travel to away games, etc type threads and threads about other Rutgers sports when there is a breaking news story or pro sports when the same thing happens. Every thing else, more so current events stuff should be moved to the CE. CE threads should be banned from the football board and only be allowed on the current events board where they belong.

just IMHO.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
This doesn't make any sense.

Boards are divided into threads. Somebody who doesn't want to engage in a volatile, politically charged debate has the very easy option of simply not engaging those threads. There's no reason why a participant can't pick and choose the threads they read and respond to. I do it all the time.

If everyone thought that way, there'd be no purpose to having separate boards at all. Just have one board for all threads, and pick and choose the ones you want to read.

But this forum does have separate boards for separate sports plus Rutgers issues plus Current Events. Each board has different style of moderation and a different tenor. Placing OT threads that don't fit the style of the CE board on the CE board would result in either changing the style of the CE board (which I assume would dissatisfy those who frequent that board) or result in the non-CE OT threads getting lost. That's why I think if the administrators of this forum want to keep all OT threads off the football board, they need to create a separate OT board for threads for non-CE OT discussion.

Something being overlooked is that we have fans from all over the Rivals network who stop in here regularly. There is a reason for that. This is probably the best board on the network as far as participation, civility, and general breadth of discussion goes. Its a really great place, and the mods have done a great job balancing it. If it were changed in any of the ways suggested, traffic would go down, which is bad for everyone here.

If you limited the board to football discussion only, it would turn into one of the dead zones you see sometimes when you look for another teams boar. Sometimes page 1 of those boards has threads dating back a year or more.

What about Penn State threads? They're guaranteed to get toxic by the 5th post and attract plenty of trolls.

They all follow the same script... even the 7% that are originally football related.

1. OP posts random PSU "fact"
  2. Moderate PSU posters offer some context or dispute it
  3. Moderate RU posters offer counter-arguments
  4. Someone complains about another State Penn thread
  5. Horde of trolls descend
  6. Sandusky, Sandusky
  7. Joe did nothing wrong
  8. Rehash of facts everyone outside of Happy Valley accepts
  9. Sandusky is innocent
  10. Funny Children of the Corn Gifs (Edit: Village of the Damned)
  11. Thread possibly locked.
The only ones that escape this fate are the parking/bus trip/group ticket threads. And even some of those have gone down the drain.

What about Penn State threads? They're guaranteed to get toxic by the 5th post and attract plenty of trolls.

They all follow the same script... even the 7% that are originally football related.

6. Sandusky, Sandusky
  7. Joe did nothing wrong
  9. Sandusky is innocent
The only ones that escape this fate are the parking/bus trip/group ticket threads. And even some of those have gone down the drain.

What about them? Are you suggesting that PSU threads should be moved to the CE board. They aren't political threads, so I don't see how it makes sense to move them to the CE board. The reasonable options are to leave them alone, lock them, or delete them.

Some people here give good OT advice on food, vacations, cars, homes etc. That should stay. It's obvious which threads get moved. Just silly.

Yep, I'm good with the current state. I would hate to see all OT threads moved away from the football board, because 80% of the OT threads are interesting/entertaining and quite a few of them are even enlightening, especially the "how to" ones - I've posted a few of those and gotten good (and weird) advice and I've hopefully given some good (and weird, lol) advice. That's what makes it an interesting community.

However, I can certainly understand the mods not wanting the toxic threads on here, as those turn off posters and drive potential paying customers away, as this board is obviously the main feeder board for Premium - and it's the political threads that are almost always the ones that turn toxic. However, I do like when they can stay here for a page or two, as political threads are far more interesting when they're here, as opposed to the CE board, which leans so much further to the right vs. this board, which seems fairly balanced, politically.

I guess the bottom line to me is I'd love to see all the OT threads here, but completely understand the mods moving the "toxic" ones to the CE board. I would certainly visit/post on this board far less in the off-season, if OT's were all moved to an OT board.

6. Sandusky, Sandusky
  7. Joe did nothing wrong
  9. Sandusky is innocent

Do you REALLY believe Joe did nothing wrong? He and the President allowed this behavior to continue for over 10 years.
Joe was many things....but he wasn't stupid. Maybe, blind, deaf / mute however.

MO

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT