ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mold / Fungus on Roof Shingles

batts

All American
Jun 7, 2001
My gutter gleaning contractor, Ned Stevens, recommended that we remove mold and fungus from our 5 year old roof. NS wants to charge us $550.00 for a non-bleach spray treatment. NS advised us that if we didn't remove the mold and fungus, it will destroy the integrity of the shingles and cause leaking. I'm playing the bullsh#t card on this one. Sounds like a scam. Also, I can probably buy a roof cleaner at Home Depot and treat the roof myself with a hose and ladder for a fraction of the what NS wants to charge me. .

I would greatly appreciate feedback on this issue.

Don't know the long term effects of leaving mold and fungus on your roof. However, all of the contractors I've seen removing the stuff have used pressure washers. I'm not sure a hose would get it done.

I agree. BS. In the time it would take for the fungi to destroy your roof you would need a new roof anyway. Cosmetic only. I heard somewhere that the fungi are eating the adhesive in the shingles. Not sure if that's true though.

You can purchase a pressure washer for less than 500.00 and don't your self. Not a difficult task, get a cleaning solution from any hardware store and have some fun getting wet.

I've read the algae is actually growing on a component in the outer shingle material (possibly the limestone).You'll need to add strips of copper or zinc along the upper portion of the roof to prevent regrowth of the algae. The idea is that the metal ions will wash over the shingles when it rains and kill/prevent algae growth. Most new shingles have metals built into the shingle to prevent algae.

Lucky for you that it isn't on your toe nails.UGH!

My gutter gleaning contractor, Ned Stevens, recommended that we remove mold and fungus from our 5 year old roof. NS wants to charge us $550.00 for a non-bleach spray treatment. NS advised us that if we didn't remove the mold and fungus, it will destroy the integrity of the shingles and cause leaking. I'm playing the bullsh#t card on this one. Sounds like a scam. Also, I can probably buy a roof cleaner at Home Depot and treat the roof myself with a hose and ladder for a fraction of the what NS wants to charge me. .

Used wet & forget in Florida with mediocre results, even after months of waiting. On You tube saw a video using pool shock diluted with water in a pump sprayer. Followed the directions and climbed up on my one story hip roof house, pumped and rinsed and presto no more mold whatsoever. Gutters picked up the runoff and no vegetation damaged. For a more permanent solution have your roofer install metal, copper or zinc strips at your peaks. Algae doesn't like the ions or whatever is released from the strips when it rains. Oh, the algae does not damage the roof shingles. Do not use a power washer as you will lose the aggregate which acts to prevent UV light from causing the shingles to deteriorate prematurely.

i've never used a pressure washer on a roof, but i would be concerned that a pressure washer might remove a lot of the granules that coat the shingle.

iirc, the granules on the shingles are to prevent the sun from damaging the asphalt shingle.

best idea might be to contact a shingle manufacturer and ask about the mold thing, and the best way to remove.

i believe GAF and Corning are both big manufacturers of asphalt shingles.

We know better than the shingle manufacturers. For mild cases, which is dark stripping use Spray and Forget. For heavy moss and mold use liquid pool shock.

Chlorine bleach, liquid dish detergent, water, and a pump sprayer are all you need. Test a small area. Let it sit for 15 minutes after spraying, then rinse with water via a garden hose. You may want to cover any bushes with plastic.

This is a very bad roof. The man doesn't say what his secret formula is, but it is liquid pool shock (strong bleach) and detergent. The moss dies before your eyes.

Don't use a pressure washer. It will knock the granules off. Also don't rub the granules off either. They are their to protect the asphalt part of the shingle from degrading as it will now be exposed to the sun.

I never knew this was a thing. The original roof on this house was 17 years old before we got our new Sandy Roof a couple years ago. There's never been mold or algae on either one.

i just did my garage roof that had what looked like dried up moss growing on the north side, maybe like dried kale. I sprayed it with a mixture of bleach and water, let it sit for an hour and then blasted it off with my hose on jet setting. It got 98% of it off. I would not use a pressure washer as previously stated it could damage the roof.

I also used spray and forget. It is a little pricy but I think it says you're not suppose to get any moss for 5 years. So far so good and it's really easy to use.

Mold and algae will damage the shingles, which could lead to water damage inside. This is why insurance companies will require it be removed.

Please remember too that if you use a bleach mixture, when you rinse it off, it runs down the gutters into, your yard, your street, the streams etc.

My neighbor here in Fla pressure washed his shingles and knocked most of the granules off. He had to replace the roof 2 years later. I have a metal roof thats been on the house since I installed it in the early 1980s and will probably outlive me.

Thanks everyone for contributing to this Thread. I think that the mold / algae has to be removed. My buddy fell off a ladder a few years back and ended up with a halo device with screws to fix his broken leg. Can't take that risk so I will contract it out.

Thanks everyone for contributing to this Thread. I think that the mold / algae has to be removed. My buddy fell off a ladder a few years back and ended up with a halo device with screws to fix his broken leg. Can't take that risk so I will contract it out.

Surely your buddy's leg is healed by now. Tell him that you will hold the ladder this time and send him up with the bug sprayer.

My neighbor here in Fla pressure washed his shingles and knocked most of the granules off. He had to replace the roof 2 years later. I have a metal roof thats been on the house since I installed it in the early 1980s and will probably outlive me.

I bet you also have a cat that you keep on your roof. When it is hot.

I wish I could afford a metal roof. Maintenance free forever.

Reactions: mikefla
Love the Billy Batts avatar.

I bet you also have a cat that you keep on your roof. When it is hot.

I wish I could afford a metal roof. Maintenance free forever.

I had it stamped out by a company here in Florida back when Aluminum was pretty cheap
love the sound when it rains

For my other house (inland Mount Dora Fl)we used synthetic(read plastic) slate shingles by Quarrix. Fire rated , impact resistant, impervious to suns heat and should last forever. There are some great roof materials these days. A tad more expensive to purchase but they apply so easily you save a bundle on installation. Evens out.

oddly enough I DO have cats LOL......3 feral ones. Like pets I dont have to take care of that keep the rodents at bay...even squirrels are scarce. One of them LOVES to sleep on the shade side of the chimney..

Yes you need to get rid of it. Do not use a pressure washer, you will take off all the granules on the shingles. More importantly, this will continue to be a problem because you have too much tree cover near your house. Cut down some trees.

Do not power wash it - that's the worst thing you can do for the shingles. Yes, the algae is feeding on the lime in your shingles. Best to get to of it using a chemical solution

ADVERTISEMENT