ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Monmouth U?

My adivice is this - if shes in it for the education she can certainly get a better deal in her state. Monmouth isnt super expensive, but its still a private school and not a great one. Of course if shes in it for the experience instad, Monmouth is fine choice - I think upper classman even have the option of living at Pier Village on the beach at Long Branch (they did a decade ago - not sure if that still holds.)

They still do have that option along with the school owned University Bluffs apartments which is also at the beach.

I knew a few kids that went there about 8 years ago. They told me that a lot of students get grants / scholarships so that the tuition is just a number to be published and not what a lot of the students pay. They liked it over bigger state schools because of smaller class sizes, small campus, and the campus life. As a small school many on campus know each other and there are a lot of campuswide activities where a lot of students participate.

The kids did say there is an ongoing battle between the social life of the school and the surrounding town. A lot of parties are off campus but the town is conservative and likes to shut student parties down.

I knew a few kids that went there about 8 years ago. They told me that a lot of students get grants / scholarships so that the tuition is just a number to be published and not what a lot of the students pay. They liked it over bigger state schools because of smaller class sizes, small campus, and the campus life. As a small school many on campus know each other and there are a lot of campuswide activities where a lot of students participate.

The kids did say there is an ongoing battle between the social life of the school and the surrounding town. A lot of parties are off campus but the town is conservative and likes to shut student parties down.

This has been going on for at least the last 30 years and has never been to out of hand. But, over the last 5 or 10 years a large Orthodox community has been moving into WLB and LB so I don't know if this has changed the dynamic.

This has been going on for at least the last 30 years and has never been to out of hand. But, over the last 5 or 10 years a large Orthodox community has been moving into WLB and LB so I don't know if this has changed the dynamic.

My son lived in Ocean with 4 other guys his last 2 years. Never had a problem. Of course they used to help their neighbors shovel snow, bring in the garbage cans, even mow an elderly couple's lawn just to stay in their good graces.

I have heard as well there have been some issues with the surrounding towns. If she is just in it for the beach, aren't there cheaper options? Depending on academics, UC-Santa Barbara and Coastal Carolina are both known for attracting people wanting a beach vibe, not to mention a bunch of the Florida schools.

Coastal is great if you want a degree in Hospitality. Especially if your concentration is Golf, Lap dancing, or Mixology.

I joke, I joke.

Reactions: mal359
"Locals use it all year round. Fishing. Walk on beach. If you have a wet suit you can go surfing/boogie boarding all year round."

That's absolutely untrue! The beach is closed from the day after Labor Day until Memorial Day each year. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :sunglasses:

Worked with a Monmouth grad many years back. Although third generation American he still spoke like he just got off the boat. Good basketball player though.

"Locals use it all year round. Fishing. Walk on beach. If you have a wet suit you can go surfing/boogie boarding all year round."

That's absolutely untrue! The beach is closed from the day after Labor Day until Memorial Day each year. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :sunglasses:

I have to agree with lightly here. Especially in September. Never ever go to the beach in Sept. It's absolutely horrible. :)

I have to agree with lightly here. Especially in September. Never ever go to the beach in Sept. It's absolutely horrible. :)

I'm surprised there's no mention of Richard Stockton College. Money Magazine rated it as a great value several years ago. Not near anything except pine trees and Lake Fred, but not far from ac either. .

Coastal Carolina and Monmouth are equivalent academically and both by beaches but Coastal is way cheaper, thus the recommendation.

All I know about Monmouth U is that Flood keep beating them for recruits the last couple of years. Old Dominion and Monmouth must really hate Flood...

Wow. I have problems with some aspects of Flood's work here.. but.. to work a slam like this into a thread about Monmouth U? Obsess much?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT