ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mullin Signs Tenn Transfer - Link

For those who don't know who this kid is, here are some article quotes from when he signed at Tennessee (article linked).

"Owens (6-10, 210 pounds) originally signed with Ohio in the early
period, but received a release in the all-too-familiar coaching-change
scenario."

"He's still a developmental prospect who's attractive because of his
upside, but at 6-10, and with solid athleticism, he should be an
immediate presence in the paint for a squad that sorely needs one."

"If Owens is nothing more than a part-time rim-protector and rebounder in
his first year in Knoxville that's a big win for Tyndall and his staff
given obstacles they were facing."

I believe that Rutgers needs these types of 6'9+ athletic players, but this guy is a project, which is where the "ho hum" seems to come from.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1643355

A Rutgers fan having an opinion on what a school like SJU is doing is like a fish riding a bike. They are ranked ahead of us.

Originally posted by 78CollegeAve:
Mullin hires Slice away from Kentucky. RU has Shoes. That's says it all.
I'm sure Rutgers had the money to offer Slice and Book Richardson as well. What the heck, lets hire the top recruiter for Florida, let's get Hopkins from Syracuse. Throw in the top recruiter for Kansas. Because, we all know Rutgers pays top money for assistants.

Originally posted by Knightmoves:
Not sure how good this kid is but you can't teach 6'-10" who can run the floor. Looks like the momentum is already building at SJU.

Gold Rush starting at SJU ?[/B]
Ok...so a Freshmen is transferring to SJU...and in the article you linked, it clearly read that he averaged 1.2 pts per game and 1.1 rebounds per game....yet you came up with the headline ::Gold Rush starting at SJU?"

Chop -- EJ could have left some money on the table for a decent staff but he took a mill for a huge raise from his NBA assistant gig ... and the unemployment line. I guess he thought that a couple of flyweights like Cox and Macon would combine with, you know, the cache of the Eddie Jordan brand and h.s, kids would be banging on the door. Really?

You see Mullin using his budget on an NBA lifer like O'Koren? Of course not. Yeah, Mullin has a nice budget. But he also had a clue on Day 1 that recruiting is the lifeblood of a program.

Mike Bleepin' O'Koren. You just can't make this $h!t up.

Mullin will be making more than the $1.8 million per year and have far more funding to give his staff.
Jordan's the lowest paid HC in B1G MBB and you can bet his staff is too.
Guess you expect Eddie to work for free, won't happen no matter how much he cares for Rutgers

Slice ios supposed to be getting a 6 year contract , which shows St John's commitment to winning
and you can bet his salary will be a big one.
You want assistants like Slice , you pay for it and not begrudge the HC's salary when it is as low as Jordan is making.

It won't be 6 years but it is a multi-year deal hich is not usual for an assistant.

SJU is going all in with the hire of Mullin. They have made it clear $$$ will not be an issue for this staff and for Coach Mullin himself considering his overall package will pay him $2 million+.

But keep in mind money is not everything. Obviously it helps but do you really think UK could not come up with the $$$ if this decision by Rohrssen was all about $$$? They have deep pocketed donors that could more than match SJU.

His relationship with Chris and long standing fondness for coaching in NYC and for SJU went along way in closing this deal. You don't leave the premiere program in America with 5 star kids lined up to hear your pitch unless you really want to do something else.

Originally posted by MADHAT1:
Mullin will be making more than the $1.8 million per year and have far more funding to give his staff.
Jordan's the lowest paid HC in B1G MBB and you can bet his staff is too.
Guess you expect Eddie to work for free, won't happen no matter how much he cares for Rutgers

Slice ios supposed to be getting a 6 year contract , which shows St John's commitment to winning
and you can bet his salary will be a big one.
You want assistants like Slice , you pay for it and not begrudge the HC's salary when it is as low as Jordan is making.

This post was edited on 4/12 10:12 PM by michstfr

Originally posted by michstfr:
It won't be 6 years but it is a multi-year deal hich is not usual for an assistant.

SJU is going all in with the hire of Mullin. They have made it clear $$$ will not be an issue for this staff and for Coach Mullin himself considering his overall package will pay him $2 million+.

But keep in mind money is not everything. Obviously it helps but do you really think UK could not come up with the $$$ if this decision by Rohrssen was all about $$$? They have deep pocketed donors that could more than match SJU.

His relationship with Chris and long standing fondness for coaching in NYC and for SJU went along way in closing this deal. You don't leave the premiere program in America with 5 star kids lined up to hear your pitch unless you really want to do something else.

The Post said Slice was offered 6 years and mentioned his salary at KY was $375,000. I imagine St John's will come close to that since the Post reported that they were told money wouldn't be a factor filling out Mullin's staff.
I believe the length of Chris' contract will be what Slice gets an.
Yes Mullin and Rohrssen go back quite a long time , but Barry will get the years and salary he wants to make the move.. Mullin will back him on that and Slice will help make Mullin a success ( at least in getting the recruits needed to be successful).

I don't disagree with your general thrust but again if it was simply about money Kentucky could more than match SJU even if SJU ponies up which they will.

That is my point.

Originally posted by 78CollegeAve:
Chop -- EJ could have left some money on the table for a decent staff but he took a mill for a huge raise from his NBA assistant gig ... and the unemployment line. I guess he thought that a couple of flyweights like Cox and Macon would combine with, you know, the cache of the Eddie Jordan brand and h.s, kids would be banging on the door. Really?

You see Mullin using his budget on an NBA lifer like O'Koren? Of course not. Yeah, Mullin has a nice budget. But he also had a clue on Day 1 that recruiting is the lifeblood of a program.

Mike Bleepin' O'Koren. You just can't make this $h!t up.
Just a quick comment.... You do know that the so-called flyweights that Jordan retained in year one were originally hired by Mike Rice. I hope you know that..... based on your comments I am not sure.

Did you call them flyweight when Rice hired them in 2011.

I don't disagree with your general thrust but again if it was simply about money Kentucky could more than match SJU even if SJU ponies up which they will.

That is my point.
I think it was a mutual partying of the ways...as Slice was barely at UK for 10 months...as he was a late replacement when USF finally hired then UK Asst Antigua after their 1st choice Masiello ended up not having a 4 year degree so USF had to go searching again for a HC.

Plus, Cal was looking to get Tony Barbee (long-time asst with him at UMASS and Memphis) back on the bench, as the failed Auburn HC (did pretty good though at UTEP), had a non-coaching spot (Ops Dir) this past season.

That's also why $$ was probably not much of a factor for Slice...as odds are...he was going to move on this season anyway...and I don't think Cal or UK cared about offering him more $$$ (you don't really need recruiters at UK...Cal just needs to be with those that he is comfortable with).

Tony Barbee was on the staff already.

It was not mutual in the sense that Calipari was pushing him out the door. Totally false.

Ask anyone at the Final Four, Rohrssen was torn over this.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

And again you are forgetting Cal tried to get Barry back when he was in Memphis. Asked him to resigne from Manhattan and Rohrssen stayed.

Originally posted by Knight_Light:

That is my point.
I think it was a mutual partying of the ways...as Slice was barely at UK for 10 months...as he was a late replacement when USF finally hired then UK Asst Antigua after their 1st choice Masiello ended up not having a 4 year degree so USF had to go searching again for a HC.

Plus, Cal was looking to get Tony Barbee (long-time asst with him at UMASS and Memphis) back on the bench, as the failed Auburn HC (did pretty good though at UTEP), had a non-coaching spot (Ops Dir) this past season.

That's also why $$ was probably not much of a factor for Slice...as odds are...he was going to move on this season anyway...and I don't think Cal or UK cared about offering him more $$$ (you don't really need recruiters at UK...Cal just needs to be with those that he is comfortable with).

In a non-coaching position (special asst to Calipari) since there were no asst coaching openings when he was hired last summer...but now with Slice gone, Barbee is expected to take that Asst Coach position.

The hiring of Barry R by Mullin is huge for the Johnnies. One good thing is maybe Kentucky, Duke etc. may not get as many locals as they usually do. It would be nice to keep a lot of these kids in the east.

Originally posted by Knight_Light:

In a non-coaching position (special asst to Calipari) since there were no asst coaching openings when he was hired last summer...but now with Slice gone, Barbee is expected to take that Asst Coach position.
The fact that it was an administrative position is irrelevent. He was fired by Auburn before Cal pursued Slice and hired him and before Antigua took the USF job. Your post about Cal hiring Rohrssen as some last minute hire is absurd. Yeah he just needed a warm body because the Antigua thing hit him at the last minute so just hired for $375K one of the best recruiters in the country. The argument is ridiculous besides being completely false.

John Calipari[/B] @UKCoachCalipari · 5h 5 hours ago

I wish Slice and Kerry nothing but the best in their new opportunity.49 retweets 234 favorites

5h 5 hours ago

Slice is not only a great person, he's a terrific coach and recruiter, and one of my most loyal friends.71 retweets 231 favorites

5h 5 hours ago

As we do with players and staff, when these things arise, I want our family to do what's right for them. I couldn't be happier for Slice.49 retweets 203 favorites

5h 5 hours ago

At the end of the day, it was an offer in every way - including going home - that I didn't think Slice could pass on.44 retweets 187 favorites

5h 5 hours ago

You have to understand, we've been friends for 30 years. Not only that, he loved this place and the #BBN.50 retweets 234 favorites

5h 5 hours ago

Let's all congratulate Slice on his new opportunity at St. John's. When he talked to me about the offer, we both got emotional.202 retweets 476 favorites

8h 8 hours ago

Thanks so much to Pop's Southern Style BBQ for coming over from Morehead to deliver lunch to the staff today. It was great!

The staff is definitely going to make NJ a priority:

Jeremy SchneiderVerified account þ@J_Schneider 4h4 hours ago

St. John's is hitting NJ even harder than I expected. Some interesting recruiting battles brewing #NJhoops

The fact that it was an administrative position is irrelevent. He was fired by Auburn before Cal pursued Slice and hired him and before Antigua took the USF job.
1) Please don't cut and paste (not sure you know how it works)...it hurts the eyes.

2) Cal only hired Slice AFTER USF hired Antigua. (Actually hired one month after Antigua left for USF).

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/05/01/3222097/kentucky-hires-assistant-coach.html

http://www.bradenton.com/2014/04/01/5078766/usf-hires-orlando-antigua-dubbed.html

NOTE: Calipari hired Barbee August 1, 2014 as a special assistant to the HC (non-coaching position)
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2014/08/01/kentucky-hires-tony-barbee-as-special-assistant/13473809/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT