ADVERTISEMENT

OT - NCAA Lacrosse tournament

Syracuse has a very senior laden team, solid depth, and solved their weakness at the face off x. Not sure how ND became the 1 seed, but I will go with Syracuse. Not so dark horse pick is Denver, even though they have been knocking on the door in the past. Lax is really competitive now, which is great to see. It is still the top dogs who have the best odds, but those odds are getting smaller and smaller every year. Lastly, Hopkins looks to me to be peaking at the right time and is another dark horse, though low odds. Their goaltending is pretty average, but if he can get hot at the right time, they have a shot.

Hats off to the B1G. 3 teams in is a major accomplishment, and only bodes well for the future. It is the only league which truly has the ability to overtake the acc, which I believe it will within 10 years. Too much attention being paid to it from these schools, who obviously have very deep pockets. Being recognized as a B1G sport is a total game changer, and BTN has been giving the teams unprecedented exposure.

Syracuse has a very senior laden team, solid depth, and solved their weakness at the face off x. Not sure how ND became the 1 seed, but I will go with Syracuse. Not so dark horse pick is Denver, even though they have been knocking on the door in the past. Lax is really competitive now, which is great to see. It is still the top dogs who have the best odds, but those odds are getting smaller and smaller every year. Lastly, Hopkins looks to me to be peaking at the right time and is another dark horse, though low odds. Their goaltending is pretty average, but if he can get hot at the right time, they have a shot.

Hats off to the B1G. 3 teams in is a major accomplishment, and only bodes well for the future. It is the only league which truly has the ability to overtake the acc, which I believe it will within 10 years. Too much attention being paid to it from these schools, who obviously have very deep pockets. Being recognized as a B1G sport is a total game changer, and BTN has been giving the teams unprecedented exposure.

There's a RPI for lacrosse too and ND was #1 with Cuse #2. ND beat Cuse earlier in the year. ND did spit the bit against Duke though in the ACC tourney semi's.

If you asked me a few weeks ago I would have said Notre Dame. They still might win it but they will have most likely have to go through both Albany and Denver just to get to the Finals. That is a tough road. Like Cali said Syracuse is very senior laden and doesn't have many weaknesses. Williams has been great at the faceoff x and their attack is fun to watch. Staats is exciting to watch and Rice is just solid. Carolina has played some exciting games this year. They love to run and gun but don't trust them in the tournament. My final four ND vs. Denver and Maryland (even though they are up and down) vs. Cuse. Denver vs. Cuse in Final . Cuse winning it.

Maryland has been struggling their last 5 games. I am not sure they are going to be able to pull it together. I like their coach, and he has the kids prepared during the week, but I am seriously questioning his in game coaching. He seems to be unable to make adjustments in real time.

Syracuse just won the acc tourney and ND didn't even make it to the final. Not sure how ND can be a 1 seed, but I don't think it will matter.

UNC is always fun to watch, but they have coaching issues in the tourney. All the talent in the world and they haven't gotten to the final four since the early 90's.

It's a few weeks 'til the finals. What I'm concentrating on is the Cornell - Albany 1st round game. That one's going to be worth watching.
I agree. One game at a time. Cornell seems to score at will in some games and just bog down for no apparent reason. The last game of the year(reg season) Princeton was mugging us untill we scored 10 straight to pull away by 5. Then we played Princeton in the Ivy Championships...went down big again...and started the rally too late.

Albany has some talent. It could be a close game......I for one love seeing the SUNY teams do well......

I agree. One game at a time. Cornell seems to score at will in some games and just bog down for no apparent reason. The last game of the year(reg season) Princeton was mugging us untill we scored 10 straight to pull away by 5. Then we played Princeton in the Ivy Championships...went down big again...and started the rally too late.

Albany has some talent. It could be a close game......I for one love seeing the SUNY teams do well......

Yeah, I'd say Lyle Thompson has some talent.o_O The key to keeping him from having a 6 and 4 game and causing real problems is controlling face offs. As I recall, Cornell's FOGOs have talent, but not dominant talent. They need a 65% game at minimum to keep this from being a squeeker.

Last edited:
Lyle Thompson is transcendent. Anyone who hasn't seen him play and wants to watch an athletic artist, check that game out. The guy is a magician with imagination on the field.

It isn't often you see an athlete do things that have never been done before. He seems to do something every game like that.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
Though the Fruit and ND are the favorites looking for one of them not making it to the final 4. I think ND has the harder Bracket and could get Albany(my Dark horse) in the 2nd round & then Duke or Denver in the semis. The Fruit on their side can end up with Hopkins next as they have been playing well the last part of the year. and then face either NC or Maryland in the semis. Should be interesting though.

For those interested in going to the semis on Memorial Day weekend Saturday in Philly here is a link for a Family 4 pack deal for $99 that includes a $20 coupon to use at refreshment stands. http://www.ticketmaster.com/ncaa-me...atid=35&tm_link=search_msg-0_02004E93B3FE1D33

As a side note my grandsons that play for the Monroe Youth Lacrosse team played in the Hillsborough Mayhem Tournament this past weekend, the 5th graders that I coach with the youngest went 3-1 and the older on the 7th team went 5-0, which has rarely been done there.

Lyle Thompson is indeed a great player. Cornell beat Albany 16-9 earlier this year. We have a bad history against teams we play 2x in a season.

Lyle Thompson is transcendent. Anyone who hasn't seen him play and wants to watch an athletic artist, check that game out. The guy is a magician with imagination on the field.

It isn't often you see an athlete do things that have never been done before. He seems to do something every game like that.
+1
Rock Star status.

My son did the bow and arrow thing after he scored last week.

Lyle Thompson is indeed a great player. Cornell beat Albany 16-9 earlier this year. We have a bad history against teams we play 2x in a season.

Most teams are hard to beat 2x in a season. It isn't impossible, but if you have two evenly matched teams, they usually split. I think Hopkins will be Uva for this reason.

Most teams are hard to beat 2x in a season. It isn't impossible, but if you have two evenly matched teams, they usually split. I think Hopkins will be Uva for this reason.

As go face offs, so will go this game.

we have almost a tradition....we beat Princeton last week,,,then lose to them in the Ivies.
we do it with Harvard AND Yale sometimes

Its a subject in the laxpower Cornell thread,,,,its like we are"snake bit"......

That said I see Cornell beating Albany if they stay on Thompson....

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
Don't write off 16-0 Ohio Wesleyan in DIII

My grandson plays in their conference. Saw them this year. Don't think they or their conference
is quite as strong as some in the East. Hope I'm wrong.

Actually, while they may not be as good as some of the top clubs in the East, their conference is quite strong. Ohio Wesleyan & Denison are usually at the top, but Kenyon, Wooster, Oberlin, & Wittenberg are all pretty darn good. Some of the others are gaining.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT