ADVERTISEMENT

OT: need help with paint?coat? for outdoor deck

sharmoota

Junior
Aug 27, 2009
This might be a noobie question, but what's the best way to protect wood deck that has been sanded and powerwashed once it's dried out for 3 days?

probably people here with experience can suggest proper procedures, and specific products (brands) that are best for this work.

Thanks in advance.

This might be a noobie question, but what's the best way to protect wood deck that has been sanded and powerwashed once it's dried out for 3 days?

probably people here with experience can suggest proper procedures, and specific products (brands) that are best for this work.

Thanks in advance.
I used a product on a concrete garage that also makes a painting product for wood surface. All cracks or wood imperfections are sealed to a smooth surface. Painter that I used suggested it and plan to use on arbor in the backyard. The name of company is Rock Solid Floors out of Blaine, MN

The best I have found is Cabot Australian Timber Oil. Approximately $44 a gallon. Not cheap but well worth it. Its an excellent preservative and comes in various colors as well.

Do not use paint and do not use low grade Lowes or Home depot products, you won't be happy.

My deck is over 20 years old and in great shape. First off it does not get a ton of sun which will kill a deck faster then anything else. don't paint, don't coat, stain your deck.

I stain mine about every two years and it keeps the deck in great shape. I did rip down the old wood railings and put up new PVC railing and that looks great and easy to clean.

So I'm assuming Cabot is the best brand? Available in any brick n motar?
Also, do I apply it as if I were painting?

So I'm assuming Cabot is the best brand? Available in any brick n motar?
Also, do I apply it as if I were painting?

Brushing is recommended, you can spray, but they recommend brushing over what was sprayed for better penetration. Might as well just brush. If you just google it, you will find the instructions. Good luck.

Brushing is recommended, you can spray, but they recommend brushing over what was sprayed for better penetration. Might as well just brush. If you just google it, you will find the instructions. Good luck.

Thanks!

where did you buy your stain? I'm having a hard time finding any place with it in stock

Thompson water seal is good, but they just discontinued my color, so I have enough for one coat this year. Probably will move to Cabot in the near future

The best I have found is Cabot Australian Timber Oil. Approximately $44 a gallon. Not cheap but well worth it. Its an excellent preservative and comes in various colors as well.

Do not use paint and do not use low grade Lowes or Home depot products, you won't be happy.

I have used Cabots in the past and loved the results. Ditto on the Home Depot/Lowes stuff, its crap.

Thanks in advance.

Just sanded and stained my deck. I used Benjamin Moore Arborcoat solid deck stain. Looks real good. I'm hoping to get 4 years out of it.

The freeboard strikes again! Turns out I just stripped my porch of the Restore from Home Depot I applied only last year. Sounds like the Cabot stain will get a hard look next week. I`m assuming it can be rolled?

I just powerwashed and applied Behr's Deck Over to my very old, very weathered deck. If I wasn't doing a new kitchen next week, and having my son start college, I would have put on a Trek Deck. The stain was easy to apply on the rails and spindles, but was heavy pushing applying to the deck floor itself. Even after 2 coats on the deck floor, I had to still apply a third coat in certain areas. For a approx 19 x14 deck I went through 4 gallons at approx $35/gal, and probably could have used one more. Reviews for Behr's Deck Over were mixed at best, but since I did it myself it only cost about $200 including the power washer rental from Home Depot (which worked great). However between my wife, son and I , it took about 10 man hours.

PS- so far it looks pretty good, but from the reviews it might only last 1-3 years.

ADVERTISEMENT