ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Happy Valley/Sandusky Documentary on Netflix

RUKeystone

All Conference
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2009
New York, NY
So my buddy told me about a week ago that Netflix had recently added a Happy Valley documentary covering the Sandusky story and how it affected the community etc.

Not trying to rehash what we have already known for quite a while but I just finished the documentary and I must say it is truly scary how delusional some of these State College residents are. One of the students they kept interviewing in the documentary should be ashamed of himself as he underplayed the Sandusky victims in favor of his reverence for JoePa.

Based on that documentary, the majority of State College seems like a very backward place. Seems a lot like M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village" lol. I'll be visiting Happy Valley for the first time this Fall for the RU game and while I am excited, I am also preparing myself to see some weird a** sh*t. Thankfully I'm rolling 10+ deep lol.

I have no problem with State College trying to repair its image post-Sandusky/Paterno era, but it seems like the majority of the community just cannot get over the fact that JoePa did himself in by clearly choosing to brush the 1998 Sandusky incident and future Sandusky incidents under the rug in the name of the football program. Even JoePa's son, Jay, recognized towards the end of the documentary that he is in fact in denial about his father.

Worth a watch if you want to see how reverence for one man can blind an entire community...

The photo and interview with JoePa days before he passed away was shocking how sick he looked, very sad.
JoePa's son's came off pretty good I thought, where as the fans getting pictures at JoePa's statue pushing away the old guy and giving him a hard time, with the small anti coverup sign was a bad reflection on the Penn St fan's part.
The student riot scene was crazier than I remember from when it happened.
Not sure why the writer of the piece gave so much air time to that jerky fan who must have been all of 20 years old. He had more air time than almost anyone.

Last edited:
So my buddy told me about a week ago that Netflix had recently added a Happy Valley documentary covering the Sandusky story and how it affected the community etc.

Not trying to rehash what we have already known for quite a while but I just finished the documentary and I must say it is truly scary how delusional some of these State College residents are. One of the students they kept interviewing in the documentary should be ashamed of himself as he underplayed the Sandusky victims in favor of his reverence for JoePa.

Based on that documentary, the majority of State College seems like a very backward place. Seems a lot like M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village" lol. I'll be visiting Happy Valley for the first time this Fall for the RU game and while I am excited, I am also preparing myself to see some weird a** sh*t. Thankfully I'm rolling 10+ deep lol.

I have no problem with State College trying to repair its image post-Sandusky/Paterno era, but it seems like the majority of the community just cannot get over the fact that JoePa did himself in by clearly choosing to brush the 1998 Sandusky incident and future Sandusky incidents under the rug in the name of the football program. Even JoePa's son, Jay, recognized towards the end of the documentary that he is in fact in denial about his father.

Worth a watch if you want to see how reverence for one man can blind an entire community...

Haven't watched it but have heard by people outside of PSU that it was fair to both sides. Honestly didn't know that Paterno knew about the 1998 incident since it was fully investigated by DPW.

I wish that whole situation never happened. Nothing earth-shattering about that, but I would like to have a normal rivalry with PSU rather than the frequent Sandusky-related invectives that are thrown around. We are border rivals, and even though they look down their noses at us for being newbies, that's not totally unfounded. I would like to develop into a true rivalry based on football, basketball, wrestling, volleyball, and other sports, rather than the shit one whackjob did and an administration's failure to handle it properly.

One thing I keep thinking is, I am glad it didn't happen at RU because I wouldn't want to be saddled with the guilt-by-association merely because I have a block R on my car.

State Penn, like a lot of college cultures out there is nothing but a cult...with some good academic programs thrown in...but make no mistake...IT IS A CULT!

Penn state as a whole is a good place. The problem with PSU fans is they just can't stop idolizing JOPA. If they'd admit he didn't do enough people would move on but for some reason they can't. I'm at taste of country this weekend and the RV next to me has a JOPA cutout. Why? It's just creepy

The obsession with PSU continues . . . .

IDK if i would call it an obsession but we are rivals now and when you turn on your netflix now its one of the first things you see since its a new release. I thought it was a fair piece and Scott Paterno actually came off as a fairly decent guy. Joe to me came off as an old man who seemed like he didn't know what was going on, even his son kind of attested to that fact. I was also surprised at how big Joe's man boobs were. In the one scene he comes out of his house to greet the students, his boobs looked pretty healthy.

The likes of zappaa and RUsmrt would rather put on blinders and stick their heads in the sand and make believe this all never happened.

Don't think Board members are obsessed, just have a lot to talk about and Penn St is one of many out there.
Since many RU fans consider the Nits a rival and some Nit fans (good and bad ) post here, naturally Penn St will be brought up more than some feel necessary.
Thread :Fries to PSU talking about a RU target,( discussion got sidetracked into how Nit players behave)
other recruit threads :Harmon gets SC offer
Solomon Manning: 3* LB prospect from Colonia...

New Happy Valley/Sandusky Documentary on Netflix TV show that has and is an issue discussed on this board
TV shows: Game of Thrones Season Finale Tonight! (spoilers)

Might Be OT: Change TTFP > ATFP

in same mode: UNC Scandal... Editorial & Pointed Response
UNC Scandal... A Dookie Perspective
The big 3 together at a table
I'm very jealous of UConn and their new rivalry game

These can't be ignored
OT- How do you get your frozen yogurt home on hot days?
OT: Which knot is your favorite for ties?
OT: what was your favorite Popsicle as a kid
OT- How do you get your ice cream home on hot days from grocery store?
OT - Watches
OT: Do you weed whack before or after you cut the lawn ?

This positive thread about RU hasn't received the attention it deserves
OT: Top business schools
nor this one: VERY REVEALING and positive article about Rutgers (while actually being about Notre Dame)

Haven't watched it but have heard by people outside of PSU that it was fair to both sides. Honestly didn't know that Paterno knew about the 1998 incident since it was fully investigated by DPW.
I agree I though it did well on illustrating both sides of the argument. I also agree that the scene with the people pushing the one protester around put those fans in a bad light, however that was a crazy time.... and Loyalty generally win in your mind when you have to make a quick decision so I cannot fault those people for there reactions

The Sandusky cover-up in Crappy Valley was wider and deeper than revealed even to-date. A buddy of mine has relatives that work in college athletics and it was known for decades that Sandusky was off-limits as a coaching hire by other schools. Ped St wouldn't reveal the disgusting nature of the pedophile to other schools of course, but the word was out from Ped that Sandusky would not be available to any other FB programs. How Ped didn't get a 3-5 yr FB program lockdown will go down as one of the biggest jokes in NCAA history.

I wish that whole situation never happened. Nothing earth-shattering about that, but I would like to have a normal rivalry with PSU rather than the frequent Sandusky-related invectives that are thrown around. We are border rivals, and even though they look down their noses at us for being newbies, that's not totally unfounded. I would like to develop into a true rivalry based on football, basketball, wrestling, volleyball, and other sports, rather than the shit one whackjob did and an administration's failure to handle it properly.

+100

All it should take for a genuine rivalry to emerge is for Rutgers to kick our ass on the field ONCE.

No disrespect intended. A rivalry is started when you walk off the field of battle defeated and dejected. A years worth of anticipation waiting to exact revenge...that makes a rivalry.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
The Sandusky cover-up in Crappy Valley was wider and deeper than revealed even to-date. A buddy of mine has relatives that work in college athletics and it was known for decades that Sandusky was off-limits as a coaching hire by other schools. Ped St wouldn't reveal the disgusting nature of the pedophile to other schools of course, but the word was out from Ped that Sandusky would not be available to any other FB programs. How Ped didn't get a 3-5 yr FB program lockdown will go down as one of the biggest jokes in NCAA history.

First of all, if Penn State didn't reveal it then who did? Also, why did Joe Paterno meet with the chancellor of UVA the weekend that Sandusky went into leading for the HC position. Al Groh was named the following week because UVA and Sandusky couldn't come to an agreement on a contract.

I know for a fact their were rumors because it was posted on our board years before the scandal broke.

+100

All it should take for a genuine rivalry to emerge is for Rutgers to kick our ass on the field ONCE.

No disrespect intended. A rivalry is started when you walk off the field of battle defeated and dejected. A years worth of anticipation waiting to exact revenge...that makes a rivalry.

Right now there's a good chance RU & PSU can have a great rivalry , but agree :"A rivalry is started when you walk off the field of battle defeated and dejected. A years worth of anticipation waiting to exact revenge...that makes a rivalry."
Also one school dominating every year, will keep a rivalry from happening.
The past games between Penn St and Rutgers are meaningless right now, except for smack talk, it's the B1G games between the two that will make or break PSU & RU having a rivalry talked about in the same terms as the great ones like the old Backyard Brawl used to be when Pitt and WV played .

It will take at least 4-5 years before the Nits and Knights show they can have a rivalry like that and the smack talk will be more about the upcoming game than what happens off the field years ago.
Not saying it won't creep into the conversation, but football will dominate the smack talk (hopefully) once a rivalry is established.

It will take at least 4-5 years before the Nits and Knights show they can have a rivalry like that and the smack talk will be more about the upcoming game than what happens off the field years ago.
Not saying it won't creep into the conversation, but football will dominate the smack talk (hopefully) once a rivalry is established.[/QUOTE]

That would be so cool, the current players and staff have zero association with the heinous acts that took place there.

First of all, if Penn State didn't reveal it then who did? Also, why did Joe Paterno meet with the chancellor of UVA the weekend that Sandusky went into leading for the HC position. Al Groh was named the following week because UVA and Sandusky couldn't come to an agreement on a contract.

I know for a fact their were rumors because it was posted on our board years before the scandal broke.
The revelations starting leaking to the public in 2009 due to an investigation by the Pennsylvania AG when a teen boy tells authorities that Sandusky has inappropriately touched him several times over a four-year period. Ped St revealed nothing about this pedophile from the 1980's until the 2009 investigation blew up in its face.So Paterno killed the Sandusky HC bid at UVA, what's your point?

Reactions: Dr. Potato
The revelations starting leaking to the public in 2009 due to an investigation by the Pennsylvania AG when a teen boy tells authorities that Sandusky has inappropriately touched him several times over a four-year period. Ped St revealed nothing about this pedophile from the 1980's until the 2009 investigation blew up in its face.So Paterno killed the Sandusky HC bid at UVA, what's your point?

Well, you said that people with PSU weren't telling anyone about Sandusky. I asked you, who was it then. If it had been going on since the 1980s, who were the people who were leaking these rumors and why didn't they escalate it and take it to authorities?

Well, you said that people with PSU weren't telling anyone about Sandusky. I asked you, who was it then. If it had been going on since the 1980s, who were the people who were leaking these rumors and why didn't they escalate it and take it to authorities?
You're talking in circles now. The story broke in '09 due to the investigation that led back to Ped. Sure they started talking then. Ped St had put the word out in CFB that Sandusky was off-limits but covering up the sick truth of why. I don't know how much clearer that can be.

You're talking in circles now. The story broke in '09 due to the investigation that led back to Ped. Sure they started talking then. Ped St had put the word out in CFB that Sandusky was off-limits but covering up the sick truth of why. I don't know how much clearer that can be.

So the sick truth of why wasn't known? Besides the 1998 incident that was fully investigated? Interesting take since most people say that Paterno et. al. knew all the way back then, which would be consistent with the UVA gig disappearing.

Ped St wouldn't reveal the disgusting nature of the pedophile to other schools of course, but the word was out from Ped that Sandusky would not be available to any other FB programs.

That was literally what you first wrote and I simply said it was inaccurate. That was my point. It is also impossible that PSU could have told other programs that he was not available as he retired in 1999. UVA was 2000.

Ped St wouldn't reveal the disgusting nature of the pedophile to other schools of course, but the word was out from Ped that Sandusky would not be available to any other FB programs.

That was literally what you first wrote and I simply said it was inaccurate. That was my point. It is also impossible that PSU could have told other programs that he was not available as he retired in 1999. UVA was 2000.
OK you said it was inaccurate, how? How exactly is it impossible that Ped got the word out before, during and after 1999 to not hire Sandusky? Ped didn't want background checks on Sandusky revealing his sick truth being he was such an esteemed coach and member of the Ped family for so many decades. You continue to make no sense.

OK you said it was inaccurate, how? How exactly is it impossible that Ped got the word out before, during and after 1999 to not hire Sandusky? Ped didn't want background checks on Sandusky revealing his sick truth being he was such an esteemed coach and member of the Ped family for so many decades. You continue to make no sense.

His background checks wouldn't have shown anything as he was never charged with anything.

First you said Penn State wouldn't have put the word out that he was a pedophile but then you said they wouldn't allow others to interview him. He wasn't a coach so he could interview anywhere he wanted...he wasn't employed by Penn State any longer.

I think we are nitpicking here so let's leave it at that. I'm simply saying that your post was odd since you said Penn State wouldn't say why he was off limits but would still make him off limits. I don't understand that.

kjb, you seem like you have a handle on the facts. What has bothered me about Joe Pa is that there seemed to be smoke around Sandusky going back to 1998, and yet Joe Pa continued to allow Sandusky to be around. In my view, Joe Pa was clueless or willingly indifferent to Sandusky's activities. What is the best defense of Joe Pa? He did not know what was going on all those years despite the multiple red flags?

kjb, you seem like you have a handle on the facts. What has bothered me about Joe Pa is that there seemed to be smoke around Sandusky going back to 1998, and yet Joe Pa continued to allow Sandusky to be around. In my view, Joe Pa was clueless or willingly indifferent to Sandusky's activities. What is the best defense of Joe Pa? He did not know what was going on all those years despite the multiple red flags?

• I have no idea if Paterno knew about the 1998 incident. Common sense would say yes. Paterno's handling of Sandusky's retirement party would say yes. Paterno going to UVA to meet with the Chancellor, a close friend, would say yes. That being said, who knows. Regardless, the accusations were escalated to the DPW and AG and no charges were filed. Therefore, innuendo.
  • Paterno was no longer involved with TSM but his players were. Odd.
  • The defense for Paterno regarding the McQueary incident is that PA state law would not allow Paterno to be kept abreast of what happened once he informed his bosses. I would be fine with that if it were not for that damning email. If not for the email, then I would probably side with Paterno because it would exonerate him as a result of him legally not being able to inquire after the initial reporting. However, the email throws that defense out the window...unless you believe "after talking it over with Joe" is not referencing Joe Paterno. I believe it is.

His background checks wouldn't have shown anything as he was never charged with anything.

First you said Penn State wouldn't have put the word out that he was a pedophile but then you said they wouldn't allow others to interview him. He wasn't a coach so he could interview anywhere he wanted...he wasn't employed by Penn State any longer.

I think we are nitpicking here so let's leave it at that. I'm simply saying that your post was odd since you said Penn State wouldn't say why he was off limits but would still make him off limits. I don't understand that.
Too funny-he was never charged of anything until 2011 because of the cover-up at Ped. And you find it odd that Ped wouldn't reveal the sick truth about Sandusky but still keep other CFB schools away from him-wow you're a little slow on the uptick there, and we can leave it at that.

Too funny-he was never charged of anything until 2011 because of the cover-up at Ped. And you find it odd that Ped wouldn't reveal the sick truth about Sandusky but still keep other CFB schools away from him-wow you're a little slow on the uptick there, and we can leave it at that.

Ummm, the DPW and AG both investigated the 1998 incident and didn't post charges. I guess you forgot that part. Who are you saying influenced that decision? Was it Penn State, Paterno, Corbett, TSM or MBNA?

Ummm, the DPW and AG both investigated the 1998 incident and didn't post charges. I guess you forgot that part. Who are you saying influenced that decision? Was it Penn State, Paterno, Corbett, TSM or MBNA?
No idea why District Attorney Ray Gricar decided not to charge Sandusky criminally. Maybe a grand jury would've turned out differently, but wow Gricar blew that big time, no pun intended. True Pedders will never believe in the cover-up anyway, just keep on going in circles to put your minds at ease.

No idea why District Attorney Ray Gricar decided not to charge Sandusky criminally. Maybe a grand jury would've turned out differently, but wow Gricar blew that big time, no pun intended. True Pedders will never believe in the cover-up anyway, just keep on going in circles to put your minds at ease.

Considering I don't defend Joe Paterno, you're wrong. Interested to hear who you felt influenced Gricar since you eluded to the fact that there was a cover up in 1998. I gave you a pretty comprehensive list of those who may have been involved in the cover up so go ahead and let me know who you believe it was.

I don't believe I'm talking in circles here yet you seem to be very quick to avoid direct questions. Hoping you aren't an attorney.

Considering I don't defend Joe Paterno, you're wrong. Interested to hear who you felt influenced Gricar since you eluded to the fact that there was a cover up in 1998. I gave you a pretty comprehensive list of those who may have been involved in the cover up so go ahead and let me know who you believe it was.

I don't believe I'm talking in circles here yet you seem to be very quick to avoid direct questions. Hoping you aren't an attorney.
I didn't avoid anything smart guy. I stated I don't know why the DA refused to indict. Maybe someone got to him. maybe he's just a complete dumbarse, like I would know who was pulling the strings to cover-up decades of now overwhelming evidence of a pedophile on the loose at Ped St. But as a one-time high profile Ped recruit from Central Jersey 25+ years ago tells it : "JoePA closes the mountains out in Happy Valley when he needs to".
6-mitzvos.jpg

I didn't avoid anything smart guy. I stated I don't know why the DA refused to indict. Maybe someone got to him. maybe he's just a complete dumbarse, like I would know who was pulling the strings to cover-up decades of now overwhelming evidence of a pedophile on the loose at Ped St. But as a one-time high profile Ped recruit from Central Jersey 25+ years ago tells it : "JoePA closes the mountains out in Happy Valley when he needs to".
6-mitzvos.jpg

So you can say I'm slow on the uptick but when taken to task about not answering direct questions and basically babbling incessantly but I'm the smart guy when you can't defend your posts. This is probably the point where you report me to the mods.

Try knowing what you are talking about prior to becoming an expert on it.

So you can say I'm slow on the uptick but when taken to task about not answering direct questions and basically babbling incessantly but I'm the smart guy when you can't defend your posts. This is probably the point where you report me to the mods.

Try knowing what you are talking about prior to becoming an expert on it.
What do you believe you've taken me to task about that I need to defend? I need another good laugh from you. I wrote I have heard from a very credible source that Ped St blocked Sandusky from getting jobs at any other schools as part of a cover-up. And you find that odd. Gee, I'm so unworthy. [roll]

What do you believe you've taken me to task about that I need to defend? I need another good laugh from you. I wrote I have heard from a very credible source that Ped St blocked Sandusky from getting jobs at any other schools as part of a cover-up. And you find that odd. Gee, I'm so unworthy. [roll]

Dude, you are all over the place. You said that Penn State wouldn't reveal why not to hire Sandusky and it was this huge cover up. Since you are so in the loop, what was their reasoning to not hire him?

Dude, you are all over the place. You said that Penn State wouldn't reveal why not to hire Sandusky and it was this huge cover up. Since you are so in the loop, what was their reasoning to not hire him?
All over the place how, dude? I already stated Ped's reasoning behind blocking Sandusky from going through any thorough background checks as part of any new coach hiring process. Try keeping up ,dude...

All over the place how, dude? I already answered Ped's reasoning behind blocking Sandusky from going through any thorough background checks as part of any new coach hiring process. Try keeping up ,dude...

There were no charges. What does the background check do?

And again, you say you have these ties to a source but don't state how Penn State was keeping Sandusky from being employed by someone.

Do you ever answer direct questions or do you just dance around them?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT