ADVERTISEMENT

OT NJ State Trooper killed in Car/Deer accident on 195

The call from the car into dispatch post-incident is chilling.

The identity of the trooper is known. but I'm not certain that it's been made public as of yet. The 2nd trooper in the vehicle was transported to RWJ with non-life threatening injuries.

#RIP7425

The identity of the trooper has been officially released as Anthony Rappa, age 24, of Highland Park.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the Rappa family.

I hit a deer once on Rte. 72 in Barnegat. Seemed like it fell out of the sky. Was impossible to avoid hitting that deer. I was fortunate that no one in my car was injured. I imagine hitting one at 90 mph would be much worse, instead of the lower speed that I was traveling.

One of the things I miss the least about working for a living was seeing all of those dead deer alongside rt. 80 while driving to and from my job during certain times of the year.

What a terrible thing to happen. It sounds like running off the road and hitting the trees was what led to his death.

Once when I was driving up from VA, on a county road between Sperryville and Front Royal, a deer came out of the woods and ran up the side of the road. I clocked him at just about 45mph. Obviously this was over a short distance, and they can't keep that pace for very long, but that's damn fast.

Is there a time of year where the odds of this happening are higher?

Is there a time of year where the odds of this happening are higher?

Mid to late autumn - "the rut". Late October through most of November the females go in season, the males get straight-up crazy and either one is liable to run into the road chasing the other, at any time.

Mid to late autumn - "the rut". Late October through most of November the females go in season, the males get straight-up crazy and either one is liable to run into the road chasing the other, at any time.

Yeah, I was sitting in traffic on Rt 24 just outside Chester many years ago. First deer sprinted right between me and the car behind me. The second one ran right into the side of my car. Guess he was really concentrating on the lady.

My condolences to the Troopers family.

What a terrible thing to happen. It sounds like running off the road and hitting the trees was what led to his death.

Once when I was driving up from VA, on a county road between Sperryville and Front Royal, a deer came out of the woods and ran up the side of the road. I clocked him at just about 45mph. Obviously this was over a short distance, and they can't keep that pace for very long, but that's damn fast.
When I had an ATV I once chased a deer across the field. I was at full throttle and it matched my speed about 50 mph. They can motor.

His name is Anthony Raspa. I went to HS with him and played football with him at Bishop Ahr. Seriously one of the nicest kids I've ever met. This definitely hurts.

I want to say sorry for your loss but in a case like this, it's the entire State of NJ which has suffered a loss.

ADVERTISEMENT