ADVERTISEMENT

OT, One Direction

KnightsofChrome

All Conference
Sep 20, 2012
OK, so I just found out who they are. I officially feel very, very old right now.

After Hamilton's little tiriad towards his roommate regarding this " One Direction" I realized he was referring to a band of some sort. So, I looked them up on youtube/videos and realized I have become my Grandparents! They are actually a pretty good vocal group. Asked my grandson(yes grandson), who is 15 and he said, " of course I know them, who doesn't!"
Well, that's it, thought I would share, and see if anyone else has had a similar experience...I'm off to check my life Insurance policy.

I teach in Hong Kong, and it seems none of my students over 20 know anything about them. It could be because of the location and culture, but we do get a lot of western influence here, more than the rest of Asia, I'd say

My personal name for them is "One Erection".

They're the Backstreet Boys of the current decade, as near as I can tell.

Teen girls and teen gay boys wet their collective shorts over these "singers"...personally, I'd rather go to a Bruce Springsteen concert...:flushed:

A house was sold on my street that I saw a moving van in front one day. A few days later I saw a kid out front so I started talking to him. After asking if he had any siblings or if it was just him and his parents, he started laughing and said it was his house. I asked if he hit the lottery and he said pretty much, only it was in the form of being in one of the most popular bands in the world. I said I didn't recognize him from U2. He laughed and said his band is One Direction. From what I have seen, let's just say it is very good to be Harry Styles. Very, very good.

A house was sold on my street that I saw a moving van in front one day. A few days later I saw a kid out front so I started talking to him. After asking if he had any siblings or if it was just him and his parents, he started laughing and said it was his house. I asked if he hit the lottery and he said pretty much, only it was in the form of being in one of the most popular bands in the world. I said I didn't recognize him from U2. He laughed and said his band is One Direction. From what I have seen, let's just say it is very good to be Harry Styles. Very, very good.

Ha Ha - nice story.

geea
geez what do you do for a living

1D are The Beatles of this generation.

OK, this is where I have to step in, "The Beatles of this generation" You have got to be joking, right!? This is a nice group, but to suggest that they could ever be on the same stage in any shape, way or form with the Beatles, is just plain insane! The Beatles changed the way we view music, the initiated the "British Invasion," they transcended music over decades, are still considered the best group of all time, and individually have more hit songs, albums then this cute little group have combined. Just saying.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Cali - that's one hell of a street to live on ! Who is on the other side Minka Kelly!

ha, I wish. there are quite a few celebs though. I used to have some cache around here until Channing Tatum moved in next door to Styles. Based on my wife's reaction, it seems like the women think he is something. I don't get it.

OK, this is where I have to step in, "The Beatles of this generation" You have got to be joking, right!? This is a nice group, but to suggest that they could ever be on the same stage in any shape, way or form with the Beatles, is just plain insane! The Beatles changed the way we view music, the initiated the "British Invasion," they transcended music over decades, are still considered the best group of all time, and individually have more hit songs, albums then this cute little group have combined. Just saying.

All of this applies to 1D.

Well, prepare to think the unthinkable.

Actually, it can even be argued that 1D has better songwriter than The Beatles did.

LMAO! Too funny! So, better then John, Paul and George? They were the "songwriters" for the Beatles, or didn't you know. Oh, and the Beatles played a few instruments to boot.

I can't even believe that this is even a conversation!

I took my girls to see them and they are actually pretty good in concert. When you have yound kids you adapt to their music and I like them, but I like all music so not a hard stretch for me

LMAO! Too funny! So, better then John, Paul and George? They were the "songwriters" for the Beatles, or didn't you know. Oh, and the Beatles played a few instruments to boot.

I can't even believe that this is even a conversation!

1D is full of classically-trained mucisians, and I don't consider "a goo goo gajoob," "Naa naa naa na na na na," or "no one was saved" the zenith of the art of poetry.

Not to mention Lennon's god awful "Woman is the n***** of the World."

1D is full of classically-trained mucisians, and I don't consider "a goo goo gajoob," "Naa naa naa na na na na," or "no one was saved" the zenith of the art of poetry.

Not to mention Lennon's god awful "Woman is the n***** of the World."

Not quite. While there's no denying they're wildly popular and are strong performers/singers, but they don't play any instruments in their shows (and are not particularly talented musicians - don't think any are "classically trained") and they've only started writing songs in their last 2 albums, for the most part.

Yes, the Beatles started out writing mostly sweet pop tunes, but at least they were mostly writing their own songs (and had the good sense to cover some great blues tunes) and always performing them on record and live - and of course, their growth and progression as songwriters and performers was nothing short of astonishing. To go from "Please, Please Me" in 1963 to "Rubber Soul" in 1965 to "Sergeant Pepper" in 1967 is something we may never see again in rock and roll. Over the same 4-year period 1D's "growth" has been modest at best.

I know you may like 1D a lot and that's fine, but there's nobody on the planet who will ever take you seriously if you try to say they're "better" songwriters/recording artists than the Beatles. Just enjoy them for what they are and see if they can truly grow as artists over the next few years.

Reactions: KnightsofChrome
I took my girls to see them and they are actually pretty good in concert. When you have yound kids you adapt to their music and I like them, but I like all music so not a hard stretch for me

The hell you do. I bought my kid a guitar at 7 to get him to stop listening to Justin Bieber. He learned chords to Johnny Cash & Neil Young songs. His favorite bands at 13 are Green Day & the Foo Fighters.

I took a middle path. When our son was young, say 7-11 or so, we let him listen to whatever he wanted and never criticized him for being a big fan of N-Sync and other pop, since he also liked some of the alt/indie and classic rock music we played around the house. With many kids the minute you try to "force" (or at least strongly influence) them to "like" something, that's often when you lose the battle.

As he got a little older, he started getting into indie/alt (new and older) music on his own and by the time he was 13, we started taking him to see lots of bands we liked, especially new stuff. By the time he was 15, he had become quite a student of all forms of rock and roll and had started moving past me with regard to knowledge of new artists, especially. He's been in bands ever since and is still in a band that's doing pretty well on the DIY basement scene

One really interesting thing is that the mixtapes I used to play back in the mid-90s when he was 3-5 years old (and beyond), which were mostly punk/alt mixtapes, are now his "nostalgic" music and he loves a lot of that old stuff. Kind of neat for us.

Ru #'s the kid from Ireland plays the guitar for a very good part of the show so your credibility right there is gone

Reactions: mal359
Ru #'s the kid from Ireland plays the guitar for a very good part of the show so your credibility right there is gone

That doesn't change the fact that none of them are "classically trained" musicians. Nor are any of them particularly good, especially when viewed from the perspective of rock musicians who are truly great.

In other words, wake me up when Eric Clapton says, "Damn, that kid from One Direction is a great guitarist."

I know he does - I own most of 1D's music, since I DJ fairly large events (100+ people) and inevitably somebody wants to hear 1D (and there are even a couple of their songs I'll play without provocation, lol). One guy sometimes playing guitar, to me, is inconsequential relative to the other 4 not playing instruments, with regard to whether to think of them as a "live" band. I guess I could've included that minor detail in my post, but figured I've established decent musical credibility over the years with my many, many posts on music.

That doesn't change the fact that none of them are "classically trained" musicians. Nor are any of them particularly good, especially when viewed from the perspective of rock musicians who are truly great.

In other words, wake me up when Eric Clapton says, "Damn, that kid from One Direction is a great guitarist."

LOL!

Well, prepare to think the unthinkable.

Actually, it can even be argued that 1D has better songwriter than The Beatles did.

The Beatles are way before my time and a few 1D songs are part of my regular playlist, yet this absurdity still made me LOL

ha, I wish. there are quite a few celebs though. I used to have some cache around here until Channing Tatum moved in next door to Styles. Based on my wife's reaction, it seems like the women think he is something. I don't get it.

you live on the same block as Channing Tatum???????

um, Honey, we are going to visit Cali........

I suggest a middle road maybe that they are the "Insync" of this decade

I consider One Direction the U.K. version of Menudo.

Boy bands. The faces change, but the song remains the same.

Only the guy from California, would come up with a "Menudo" comparison! LOL!
A little menudo right now sounds really good, tough to find in my neck of the woods. At least good menudo.

They were the first boy band I remember. Then came New Edition. Not much has changed in the world of boy bands, except one thing. Social media has made these kids incredibly wealthy and wildly popular very fast.

There was a doc on HBO being looped recently on One Direction that I caught pieces of. Their ability through technology to connect with fans and build their fanbase is unprecedented in the boy band world. Hell, there were tens of thousands of people waiting outside of a stadium just because they knew those kids were inside. Crazy stuff.

I think Beiber should join 1D.

I've heard their name every now and again but never really paid much attention to them. I hadn't actually took the time to look them up until this thread. Some of their music is catchy but nothing really special. Just another boy band flavor of the month that make tweens cream their panties.

ADVERTISEMENT