ADVERTISEMENT

OT: outdoor bars in central NJ

ElmiraExpress

Senior
Oct 3, 2004
Now that good weather has finally arrived, I am a big fan of outdoor bars. Not being a native of NJ, I'd like suggestions of good outdoor bars in Middlesex/Somerset/Mercer counties. Here is what I know.

Stagecoach, Somerset, NJ - this is the best one I know

Stuff yer face, New Brunswick, NJ - fun small bar that doesn't usually open until after 4pm, usually either packed with young crowd or empty

Evelyn's, New Brunswick, NJ - this is a really cool rectagular bar in the back, but Evelyn's is not a bar

Joeys, Somerset, NJ - small bar outside past the pool tables, not used that much

other suggestions or recommendations?

Basking Ridge CC has a restaurant with a nice outdoor bar.

Not sure the name of it.

"The Landing" in New Hope has an outdoor bar and outdoor dining on the Delaware.

I second Lambertville and New Hope. Wander around either side of the river and you'll stumble across plenty of great places to have a drink (there is more on the New Hope side). A personal favorite of mine is The Boathouse in Lambertville. VERY small, but has a nice outside area and a very unique feel.

Nik's Wunderbar in Whitehouse. Homemade brats, insane beer menu, outdoor biergarten. Nuff said.

Reactions: mesa4234
Gabriele's in Piscataway has an outdoor tiki bar.

TikiBar.jpg

http://gabrielesbarandgrill.com/contact-us.php

Centro Grill in Robbinsville has a big outdoor patio.

Marcellos in Bordentown has an outdoor deck and bar

Green Knoll Grill in Bridgewater has a pretty big outdoor bar area. OK to bad food, not a great beer menu the last time I was there.

Lambertville/New Hope. The bridge is free(walkable) and there are tons of bars in New Hope on the Pa side.

I believe the name is Delicious Heights Outpost - same people who run Delicious Heights in Berkeley Heights and Far Hills.

Reactions: RUissy
Now that good weather has finally arrived, I am a big fan of outdoor bars. Not being a native of NJ, I'd like suggestions of good outdoor bars in Middlesex/Somerset/Mercer counties. Here is what I know.

Stuff yer face, New Brunswick, NJ - fun small bar that doesn't usually open until after 4pm, usually either packed with young crowd or empty

Evelyn's, New Brunswick, NJ - this is a really cool rectagular bar in the back, but Evelyn's is not a bar

Joeys, Somerset, NJ - small bar outside past the pool tables, not used that much

If you can expand your horizons a little get off of exit 109. Brannigan's in Red Bank is a bar next to Marine Park. You can "tailgate" at Brannigan's and then walk down Wharf Avenue 100 yards and Boondocks is on the water. Recently rated # 3 in the state for on water food. BYOB and they provide buckets of ice. Spectacular views of the north shore platinum coast in Middletown. Lobster specials on Tuesday and Wednesday nights but get there early like 6 pm. If you want to stay overnight the Molly Pitcher and Oyster Point Hotels are about a 500 yard river walk around the upper Navesink River. Spectacular views down the river from both hotels. Have fun.

P.S. Boondocks is located at Irwin Marine who is a huge supporter of Rutgers football. They donate a wine and cheese cruise every year to the TD Club silent auction at the spring game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peteyd
If you can expand your horizons a little get off of exit 109. Brannigan's in Red Bank is a bar next to Marine Park. You can "tailgate" at Brannigan's and then walk down Wharf Avenue 100 yards and Boondocks is on the water. Recently rated # 3 in the state for on water food. BYOB and they provide buckets of ice. Spectacular views of the north shore platinum coast in Middletown. Lobster specials on Tuesday and Wednesday nights but get there early like 6 pm. If you want to stay overnight the Molly Pitcher and Oyster Point Hotels are about a 500 yard river walk around the upper Navesink River. Spectacular views down the river from both hotels. Have fun.

P.S. Boondocks is located at Irwin Marine who is a huge supporter of Rutgers football. They donate a wine and cheese cruise every year to the TD Club silent auction at the spring game.

And if you do make it to Red Bank, you can also check out The Dublin House and Jaimin's (both on Monmouth St.) as both places have outdoor bars in the back. And while not bars, Red Bank has some great restaurants that offer outdoor seating as well for some excellent people watching on the main drag of Broad Street. Red Bank is a great little town with a great deal of cool places to check out.

Reactions: lighty and gunboat
Rho in Trenton near Thunder stadium - not sure if they still have outdoor bar area.
Went past Pier 9 in Belmar and it looked very busy.
Di Mattias in Allentown - very small but a few tables outside

The Brick House on Stelton Road (Piscataway or South Plainfield?). They just opened another one last month in Princeton on RT1. A free standing building near PF Chang's at the Market Fair.

BTW,

Irwin Marine has a wonderful marina and rents really nice boats to fish or crab the Navesink River.

You can't go wrong with a night or weekend down in Red Bank.

Reactions: gunboat
Here's a great hidden BYOB patio in Belmar if anyone is interested in a nice Italian meal and bringing some wine or beer. It's Tulipanos on Main Street. In the very back of the restaurant they have a terrific outdoor patio.

When working on/by the NJ Turnpike in Mercer County, I was always partial to Tavern on the Lake in Hightstown for lunch..

The Brick House on Stelton Road (Piscataway or South Plainfield?). They just opened another one last month in Princeton on RT1. A free standing building near PF Chang's at the Market Fair.

I've been trying to remember the name of brick house for the longest time lol. I was thinking it was called bear rock or something.

One of the best outdoor bars in the country imo is Avenue in Long Branch, on the beach. Beautiful. I like Evelyns patio as well, in New Brunswick.

One of the best outdoor bars in the country imo is Avenue in Long Branch, on the beach. Beautiful. I like Evelyns patio as well, in New Brunswick.
Ditto on both! Avenue is awesome - not only is the view top-notch, but the food is some of the best in NJ. Down the shore I also really like the Asbury Park locations on the boardwalk, like Langosta Lounge (good, ecelctic menu, but slow service since it's so busy) and Stella Marina (good Italian), which have great outdoor seating and even the indoor spots have great views of the beach/ocean.

And for NB, Evelyn's is probably my favorite outdoor dining/drinking location - it just has a cool vibe and the food is very good. Although Stuff Yer Face has the best eye candy and, of course, bolis.

By Stagecoach do you mean Stage House Tavern?

Ellery's and Kerwin's Middlesex come to mind. Also there's a local pub in South Plainfield called Kozy Korner or something like that. It's right there where Oak Tree Road begins. Stopped there after a softball game a few weeks back. Nice bar and they have an outdoor area/bar although it was still a little too cold to check it out when I was there.

YES, Stage House Tavern - a great place! Not sure how I got the name wrong since I drive past it about 10 times every week.

The patio is very nice .... huge and nicely landscaped. But service is slow, prices are too high, food is mediocre, beer list is poor, and martinis are served too warm. However it is always crowded, so either people don't care about the other stuff, or are willing to overlook the other stuff because the patio is very nice.

The patio is very nice .... huge and nicely landscaped. But service is slow, prices are too high, food is mediocre, beer list is poor, and martinis are served too warm. However it is always crowded, so either people don't care about the other stuff, or are willing to overlook the other stuff because the patio is very nice.

There aren't a lot of other options in the immediate area - aside from, say, Freddy's on Pierce St. which has a small outdoor area. Obviously New Brunswick is a short drive but Stage House is convenient for the immediate area (residents and workforce).

ADVERTISEMENT