ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pacific Coast Trail

newell138

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Ocean City NJ via South Brunswick and Denville
Anyone ever attempt?

I never really heard much about this journey until recently. My nephew is currently doing it and is about 1,000 miles in. It starts at the Mexican border and goes all the way to Canada! He started in April and should finish in September trying to hike about 20 miles per day. He was an engineer at Picatinny but left there after a few years to do some sightseeing of this beautiful country we all live in. The crazy part is that my nephew is a very calculated guy who plans out everything in his life. He had a big white board in his room as a kid where he always was updating his goals and to do list. So then he meets a girl on the trail and after 2 weeks they get married, so now the 2 of them are hiking the trail together. His new wife is a really great writer and keeping a blog about their journey, its pretty captivating. I honestly feel this would make an incredible movie. They go from 120 degrees in the dessert to cold and snow in a matter of a couple days. Crazy.

There is already a movie on it. It's called Wild starring Reese Witherspoon. Your nephew prob watched the movie and got the bug.

Good for him.

Unfortunately, the success of the book and movie ("Wild") has made this adventure so popular they are having problems with overuse, litter, inadequate facilities and all the other woes of crowding. Sort of takes the "wilderness" out of the walk.

Great movie

Plus you see Reese's cans.
The movie was alright, nothing to write home about. Getting to see Reese's cans was a treat. I also have the hiking bug after seeing that movie. One shorter alternative to the Pacific Crest Trail is the John Muir Trail. It encompasses part of Yosemite and the Redwood Forests. It has become such a popular trail that getting a hiking permit has become an ordeal.

I've done parts of the Pacific,Crest Trail while in college. The Wild is one book and movie about the hike. There have been plenty of books and personal accounts about hiking the trail. Another great trail to do if you have the time that working adults don't have time to do are the Continental Divide Trail, and the Appalachian Trail.

The movie was alright, nothing to write home about. Getting to see Reese's cans was a treat. I also have the hiking bug after seeing that movie. One shorter alternative to the Pacific Crest Trail is the John Muir Trail. It encompasses part of Yosemite and the Redwood Forests. It has become such a popular trail that getting a hiking permit has become an ordeal.

Hiking "permit".. what a concept. You cannot walk here without a "permit".

I live in South Lake Tahoe so the parts around here are very convenient. I was on the PCT in the Barker's Pass area this past Thu or Fri. The wildflowers are still blooming and adding to the beauty.

I've done parts of the Pacific,Crest Trail while in college. The Wild is one book and movie about the hike. There have been plenty of books and personal accounts about hiking the trail. Another great trail to do if you have the time that working adults don't have time to do are the Continental Divide Trail, and the Appalachian Trail.

I believe the App trail cuts through NW parts of NJ

A great book about hiking the Appalacian Trail is A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson.

I believe the App trail cuts through NW parts of NJ

Yes, it does. Our family had property right off the trail, near Crater Lake (Lake Success). Nice area. Lots of bear, though. Which is good, as it keeps most folks away.

A movie is being released late this year, based on Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods"--his comical memoir of hiking portions of the AT. Hope that doesn't mess with the trail, which is a national treasure.

Hiking "permit".. what a concept. You cannot walk here without a "permit".

It looks to be mostly overnight permits, which are common everywhere, but looks like some parts of the trail actually do have hiking quotas to protect wilderness areas and such.

Always find it fascinating how many people are able to put the time, fitness and money into thru hiking such trails. You think of hiking being free, but the estimated average cost for hiking the AT is $3,000, not to mention the cost of backpacking gear and not working for half a year.

If I ever get the chance, I'd consider doing the Hayduke Trail over the others. It's a fraction as long at about 800 miles and spends most of its length inside national parks.

Saw a movie the other night called "The Way". It told a story of a father hiking the El Camino de Santiago (The Way of St. James). The trail starts in southern France and makes it was across Spain's Basque country. This looks like my kind of hiking. You basically hike from small town to small town along the trail, enjoying what each town has to offer.

Saw a movie the other night called "The Way". It told a story of a father hiking the El Camino de Santiago (The Way of St. James). The trail starts in southern France and makes it was across Spain's Basque country. This looks like my kind of hiking. You basically hike from small town to small town along the trail, enjoying what each town has to offer.

I very much enjoyed that movie. Good call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT