ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Penn Relays Yesterday

Veiox

Senior
Sep 30, 2013
A few weeks back I mentioned my little sister would be competing in the Discus Championship of America at Penn Relays. It was yesterday and the field was comprised of 12 Americans and 8 foreigners. It was very cold and extremely windy.

My sister threw a PR and made the finals (Top 8) and ended up finishing 8th. Not bad for a future heptathlete going against the best throwers. She was the smallest (5-8 129 lbs) girl by a decent amount. Here is a link to a mention in local paper:

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/sports/high-school/track/2015/04/23/penn-relays-thursday-notebook/26272831/?hootPostID=['4624e6d21202a54b6c2fa77d2962dd1b']

11047910_10205178304231272_7960828788737825618_n.jpg

Reactions: JoeRU0304
A few weeks back I mentioned my little sister would be competing in the Discus Championship of America at Penn Relays. It was yesterday and the field was comprised of 12 Americans and 8 foreigners. It was very cold and extremely windy.

My sister threw a PR and made the finals (Top 8) and ended up finishing 8th. Not bad for a future heptathlete going against the best throwers. She was the smallest (5-8 129 lbs) girl by a decent amount. Here is a link to a mention in local paper:
Congrats on your sister's personal best throw.Track is a great sport in which to participate.Going for the Hep is a great idea since at her stature it would be frustratingly difficult to compete with some of the "whales " in the Field throws.
http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/sports/high-school/track/2015/04/23/penn-relays-thursday-notebook/26272831/?hootPostID=['4624e6d21202a54b6c2fa77d2962dd1b']

11047910_10205178304231272_7960828788737825618_n.jpg

Reactions: Veiox

Congrats to your sister. Just getting there is quite the accomplishment let alone making the Finals. Best of luck to her in the future.

Stopped by Franklin Field today. I cannot for the life of me figure out how this place seats more than HPSS.

Stopped by Franklin Field today. I cannot for the life of me figure out how this place seats more than HPSS.

Looks are deceiving I guess. Did you watch any of the boys events today?

Congrats to your sister. Just getting there is quite the accomplishment let alone making the Finals. Best of luck to her in the future.
Agreed. Even more of an accomplishment is the fact she is not a thrower. She practices discus one day a week during the spring.

Last edited:
"Stopped by Franklin Field today. I cannot for the life of me figure out how this place seats more than HPSS."

I think the main difference is that FF has more seating in the upper deck. It's been a long time since I was there, probably since the 1980 season opener against Temple (because the Phillies tied up the Vet that weekend).

Congratulations to your sister. Having coached cross country and track for 36 years I know how outstanding of an accomplishment this is. I love the Penn Relays. I attended a few times and was always so impressed. It is without a doubt one of the greatest athletic events in the USA.

Anything over 120 feet for HS females is pretty darn good...170 is excellent. I used to coach throwing events for HS girls back in the late 70s at the Shore conference which had most of the best in the state at that time. Our main comp was a girl from Jackson who holds the national Jr AAU record at 190', which, at the time was the best overall and national record for all women. Strangely, she did not make it to the Olympic team (Which the US protested), for reasons I cannot verify.

If that pic posted is your sister, then I have just one suggestion.....tell her to try and keep her head and shoulders looking down field toward the middle of the throwing vector at the moment the disc is released. It's similar to a batter doing the same thing. Pulling the head away generally causes the throw to go awry and pulls it in the direction of the spin. It's hard to master but the rewards are better. Giver her my congratulations. Great job.

If that pic is her very solid finish position only suggestion is her shoulders should be parallel with the ground not tilted toward the block. That is probably caused by her block and it is too close to her body my elbow was always trying to stay in a straight line with the throwing arm. But for a hs throwers really solid throwing position and great distance. Really good job

If that pic is her very solid finish position only suggestion is her shoulders should be parallel with the ground not tilted toward the block. That is probably caused by her block and it is too close to her body my elbow was always trying to stay in a straight line with the throwing arm. But for a hs throwers really solid throwing position and great distance. Really good job

I will pass along your comment because it is exactly what my dad and her coach have been telling her. She pulls her block arm down and tight to her body. She works on it in practice but seems to resort to old habits when in big meets.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Anything over 120 feet for HS females is pretty darn good...170 is excellent. I used to coach throwing events for HS girls back in the late 70s at the Shore conference which had most of the best in the state at that time. Our main comp was a girl from Jackson who holds the national Jr AAU record at 190', which, at the time was the best overall and national record for all women. Strangely, she did not make it to the Olympic team (Which the US protested), for reasons I cannot verify.

If that pic posted is your sister, then I have just one suggestion.....tell her to try and keep her head and shoulders looking down field toward the middle of the throwing vector at the moment the disc is released. It's similar to a batter doing the same thing. Pulling the head away generally causes the throw to go awry and pulls it in the direction of the spin. It's hard to master but the rewards are better. Giver her my congratulations. Great job.

I will pass along your comments and thanks for well wishes and reply. Our whole family is proud of what she has accomplished. Almost all schools are recruiting her for the Heptathlon. I hope she stays home and goes to RU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT