ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Police report without plate number, should I bother?

mal359

All Conference
Nov 22, 2013
Long story short, some guy was pissed off at me, brake checked me across two towns, then pulled up beside me at a light and threatened me. I tried to flag down an officer on the opposite side, but he didn't see me. I have a goid description of his car and appearence, but no license playe number. Should I even bother?

Nope. There's no point to it.

First of all, there's zero that PD will do in that situation unless YOU are willing to sign the complaint. Without a plate they won't do any investigation to narrow down the possibilities.

Nope. There's no point to it.

First of all, there's zero that PD will do in that situation unless YOU are willing to sign the complaint. Without a plate they won't do any investigation to narrow down the possibilities.

I had a feeling that this was the case. Thanks.

What did he threaten, exactly?

It went something like "you better learn to signal before someone breaks your ****in arms..I might do it you just watch."

I looked at him, laughed, and told him to go ahead. He pussied out and rolled up his window.

It went something like "you better learn to signal before someone breaks your ****in arms..I might do it you just watch."

I looked at him, laughed, and told him to go ahead. He pussied out and rolled up his window.
I was about to say that it's better to avoid the confrontation, blah blah blah.

But then I remembered that it wasn't all that long ago when I tried to drag a guy that was aggressively tailgating me out of his car so as to demonstrate one of the very real dangers of tailgating. Lucky for both of us, his door was locked and I wasn't able to break his side windows with my fists. Not a proud moment for me, to be sure.

But I do feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I think back on how freaking petrified he looked. So at least I got that going for me.

Reactions: mal359
About 8 years ago I stopped a guy from being killed on Rt 1 in New Brunswick during a road rage incident.

It unfolded right in front of me, northbound right at the 18 overpass. Two cars were jockeying for position, they bumped and one driver got out, went to the other guy's door, pulled him out of the car and started beating him.

I rolled up in the center lane right to the guy's knees. He looked up and saw a Charger R/T with flashing blue and white strobes and me stepping out of the car wearing (fortunately) my blacked-out EMT windbreaker and holding the microphone of my radio. I pointed at him and yelled, "GETBACKINTHECARBACKINTHEFUKCINGCARDOITNOW!!"

The guy looked like he was gonna have a stroke. I had already called Monmouth County dispatch to alert NBPD and they were there in under a minute, smacked him around for a bit and led him away.

I'm a small guy, but I'm aware how irrationally angry the road makes some people. I also know that people pray on fear.

Well, good thing I keep tire changing equipment in my car...you just never know when you'll get a flat. Especially on NJ's potholed roads!

Reactions: LC-88
About 8 years ago I stopped a guy from being killed on Rt 1 in New Brunswick during a road rage incident.

It unfolded right in front of me, northbound right at the 18 overpass. Two cars were jockeying for position, they bumped and one driver got out, went to the other guy's door, pulled him out of the car and started beating him.

I rolled up in the center lane right to the guy's knees. He looked up and saw a Charger R/T with flashing blue and white strobes and me stepping out of the car wearing (fortunately) my blacked-out EMT windbreaker and holding the microphone of my radio. I pointed at him and yelled, "GETBACKINTHECARBACKINTHEFUKCINGCARDOITNOW!!"

The guy looked like he was gonna have a stroke. I had already called Monmouth County dispatch to alert NBPD and they were there in under a minute, smacked him around for a bit and led him away.
Yeah, that could've been me getting led away, unfortunately. My kid was in the car and all I could think about was how this numb nut was putting my kid at risk with his driving. Totally lost my temper and forgot all about how me getting out of the car and approaching the other car held even greater potential danger for my kid. Like I said, not a proud moment in any way.

Make the report . If he does take you out tomorrow then the only people who know about him threatening you are us. If he murders you then there are two days of possible video to look for. Makes it easier to solve your homicide. Every little bit helps. Sorry to be so honest. Lol.

Guys, first if someone is tailgating you, YOU are obviously going too slow or you need to move over and let them pass. Second, stop all of this road rage. It is not worth it. I used to get into a lot of fights over road rage events, but now that I am older and wiser I know it is just not worth it. Calm down, move over, and wave. There was a road rage incident here in Florida yesterday where a man followed another man home and shot him to death in front of his family. Just simply NOT WORTH IT.

Yeah, that could've been me getting led away, unfortunately. My kid was in the car and all I could think about was how this numb nut was putting my kid at risk with his driving. Totally lost my temper and forgot all about how me getting out of the car and approaching the other car held even greater potential danger for my kid. Like I said, not a proud moment in any way.

Nice lesson you taught your son justifying your road rage.

Other than satisfy your male ego there's no reason to get into it with some nut job. Best case is it doesn't end up with someone getting hurt, worst case is we're saying "What ever happened to Mal?" "Oh, someone shot him." There are just too many crazy people walking around.

Long story short, some guy was pissed off at me, brake checked me across two towns, then pulled up beside me at a light and threatened me. I tried to flag down an officer on the opposite side, but he didn't see me. I have a goid description of his car and appearence, but no license playe number. Should I even bother?

Buy a dashcam...

Best Dashcams of 2015 so far

Just remember.. if you are running into jackholes on the road all day long... chances are that YOU are the jackhole. And a dashcam won't help.

Make the report . If he does take you out tomorrow then the only people who know about him threatening you are us. If he murders you then there are two days of possible video to look for. Makes it easier to solve your homicide. Every little bit helps. Sorry to be so honest. Lol.

Makes sense.

I was about to say that it's better to avoid the confrontation, blah blah blah.

But then I remembered that it wasn't all that long ago when I tried to drag a guy that was aggressively tailgating me out of his car so as to demonstrate one of the very real dangers of tailgating. Lucky for both of us, his door was locked and I wasn't able to break his side windows with my fists. Not a proud moment for me, to be sure.

PLEASE CONTROL YOUR URGE TO BECOME ROAD RAGEOUS.Maybe Jersey has calmed down but down here in South Florida that stuff could get you shot.Then how do you tailgate and watch RU FB?

[QUOTE="RUnumber1, post: 381810, member: 1180"

I used to get into a lot of fights over road rage events...[/QUOTE]

Are you serious?

What made you go ballistic (multiple times)?

I can't recall ever meeting anyone that got into "a lot of fights" over road rage before.

PLEASE CONTROL YOUR URGE TO BECOME ROAD RAGEOUS.Maybe Jersey has calmed down but down here in South Florida that stuff could get you shot.Then how do you tailgate and watch RU FB?

No worries, mostly. Unlike my youth, where that sort of thing was more common, that most recent situation was a highly unusual thing for me. I'm much more mild these days. [winking]

To answer your question, I'd report it just in case the other driver now knows your plate and crazily pursues you to do harm, so there's some report/evidence floating out there.

On a more general note, the closest I've coming to road rage is situations where drivers are too clueless or just refuse to get the hell out of the left lane over miles on otherwise open highways, predictably causing a traffic jam of slower-moving vehicles by their actions. After waiting a cursory 15-30 seconds, flashing brights, beeping, and then briefly tailgating to let them know to move out of the way, the remaining options (besides maintaining an artificially lower speed; not interested in doing so) are not good and get increasingly dangerous for everyone involved. Luckily I have zero interest in angrily confronting/threatening other drivers and rather just aim to pass, so offenders get cut off at sometimes quite extra-legal speeds. Not that I'm making any attempt to justify my actions, but some of these situations could have been quite easily avoided, or even not escalated with a simple lane change.

Take a buddhist approach to rage, any rage. It's just not worth it.

Disney has the right idea.
tumblr_n1zi5rWB2V1r7b6cio1_500.gif

Reactions: Knight_Light
Your actions during the road rage incident gave a poor example to your son. Do you disagree ?
You are being non-responsive. Again.

Here's what you said: "Nice lesson you taught your son justifying your road rage.". That implies that you either failed to read what I actually wrote in my earlier posts, or failed to understand what you read.

So I asked you: "At what point did I justify my road rage?". That was intended to encourage you to reread what I wrote so you could see for yourself that at no time did I justify my actions. In fact, I'd already pointed out, twice, that it was not a proud moment for me.

At that point, you could've come back and apologized for accusing me of something I never did. And I'd have totally let you off the hook because it's really no big deal at all.

Instead, you seem hell-bent on being judgmental about something I didn't do. If you get your jollies beating up on people who already admit they feel bad about something they did, then by all means, tell me how wrong it was for me to lose my temper. I'll survive your condemnation.

But if you want me to feel bad about doing something I didn't do (I never attempted to justify my actions), then I'm afraid you're going to have to go away without the satisfaction of (a) succeeding in making me feel bad and (b) actually being correct in your accusation.

Runumber1 - Being tailgater doesn't obviously mean you are going too slow. Today I was being tailgated. I wasn't going slow. In fact, I was doing 35 in a 25 zone. I'm doing 10 over speed limit and I should pull over on a one lane road? Don't think so.

On the topic, I would make the report in the off chance you have another run in.

Runumber1 - Being tailgater doesn't obviously mean you are going too slow. Today I was being tailgated. I wasn't going slow. In fact, I was doing 35 in a 25 zone. I'm doing 10 over speed limit and I should pull over on a one lane road? Don't think so.

On the topic, I would make the report in the off chance you have another run in.

Then pull over as soon as you can. You don't know why the guy behind you needs to go faster than you, but he does. Hopefully for a valid reason, i.e. Family emergency, whatever?

[QUOTE="RUnumber1, post: 381810, member: 1180"

I used to get into a lot of fights over road rage events...

Are you serious?

What made you go ballistic (multiple times)?

I can't recall ever meeting anyone that got into "a lot of fights" over road rage before.[/QUOTE]

Light,

If you must know, I am a hard driving A-Type person. I drove myself to be very successful in life. I was always in a hurry and always traveled in the fast lane. But those days are over now.
I am much more calm and a lot wiser.
One time in Washington, DC, I was arguing with another driver on a two lane road. We were driving side by side yelling at each other through our open car windows.

You know what started us off? I had a Conservative bumber sticker on my car and he had a liberal bumber sticker on his car. Two hard-headed politics at each other's throats driving side by side down the road arguing. Only in DC.

You are being non-responsive. Again.

Here's what you said: "Nice lesson you taught your son justifying your road rage.". That implies that you either failed to read what I actually wrote in my earlier posts, or failed to understand what you read.

So I asked you: "At what point did I justify my road rage?". That was intended to encourage you to reread what I wrote so you could see for yourself that at no time did I justify my actions. In fact, I'd already pointed out, twice, that it was not a proud moment for me.

At that point, you could've come back and apologized for accusing me of something I never did. And I'd have totally let you off the hook because it's really no big deal at all.

Instead, you seem hell-bent on being judgmental about something I didn't do. If you get your jollies beating up on people who already admit they feel bad about something they did, then by all means, tell me how wrong it was for me to lose my temper. I'll survive your condemnation.

But if you want me to feel bad about doing something I didn't do (I never attempted to justify my actions), then I'm afraid you're going to have to go away without the satisfaction of (a) succeeding in making me feel bad and (b) actually being correct in your accusation.

Be careful, someone might accuse you of thread rage and setting a bad example [roll][winking]
edit: I was pulled over by a cop for road rage.
An unmarked cop car cut in front of me while I was driving on freeway causing me to hit the brakes and I thew my hand up in disgust
( no finger or up yours sign) and moved to another lane shaking my head as I passed him.
Next thing I knew he put his lights and siren on and pulled me over
Came to door with usual license , registration and insurance card request and after I handed them to him asked me if I knew why I was pulled over.
Said because I passed you? He said road rage and I told him I got mad because he cut me off.
He didn't want to accept that and I knew I better be careful , so apologized for getting mad and that satisfied him.
I left and made sure he got ahead of me and I made sure didn't get close to that butthead while on that freeway before turning off of it.
Sometimes road rage is considered one thing by one person and not by another.
As for the police , I've had my car break down and they were more then willing to help me .
Sometimes things just happen and you must make the best out of it that you can and that's not easy to do all the time

Last edited:
Reactions: mildone
To answer your question, I'd report it just in case the other driver now knows your plate and crazily pursues you to do harm, so there's some report/evidence floating out there.

On a more general note, the closest I've coming to road rage is situations where drivers are too clueless or just refuse to get the hell out of the left lane over miles on otherwise open highways, predictably causing a traffic jam of slower-moving vehicles by their actions. After waiting a cursory 15-30 seconds, flashing brights, beeping, and then briefly tailgating to let them know to move out of the way, the remaining options (besides maintaining an artificially lower speed; not interested in doing so) are not good and get increasingly dangerous for everyone involved. Luckily I have zero interest in angrily confronting/threatening other drivers and rather just aim to pass, so offenders get cut off at sometimes quite extra-legal speeds. Not that I'm making any attempt to justify my actions, but some of these situations could have been quite easily avoided, or even not escalated with a simple lane change.

Not so fast. So, you are on the GSP on your way to the shore going 74 mph in the left lane (my trooper friends say Speed limit +9 and you will never get a ticket) There is heavy traffic in each lane. You see there are about 4 cars to pass in the right lane next to you, and you gradually speed up to about 77 to pass, you see you are about to pass and move over when an A-hole guido wearing a wife beater T pulls within 10 feet and IMMEDIATELY starts high beaming you and beeping without giving you 1 second to pull over. In this case its not the driver in the left lane its the d-bag guido causing the problem.

Yes, I get it, some people are oblivious, and don't understand going 50 mph is a problem and should be in the right lane. Most of the time, when you get closer (without T-gating) Drivers pull over. THose who don't, you just have to safely get around them.

But entitled d-bags thinking they are mario andretti weaving in an out going 85mph is a much bigger threat than someone going a little slow.

Guys, first if someone is tailgating you, YOU are obviously going too slow or you need to move over and let them pass. Second, stop all of this road rage. It is not worth it. I used to get into a lot of fights over road rage events, but now that I am older and wiser I know it is just not worth it. Calm down, move over, and wave. There was a road rage incident here in Florida yesterday where a man followed another man home and shot him to death in front of his family. Just simply NOT WORTH IT.
In my particular case (as mentioned above), I was on a single lane road with a 30 mph speed limit, in a long line of cars, with cars parked on both sides of the road. There was literally no way to go any faster that whatever the line of cars was doing - maybe 25.

The person behind me was maybe 3 feet behind at most. I slowed up a little to put even more room between me and the car in front of me because, with someone tailgating me that close, I didn't want to have to brake quickly for anything.

I tried to wave the guy back and his response was to move even closer and ride my bumper. Which is when I started to get pissed off.

As we rolled into town on the same road, there's a pedestrian cross walk. Pedestrians have been hit in the walk. The walk has pedestrian crossing lights (it used to have a warning bell too, but that seems to have crapped out). I slowed up a little to check that nobody was entering the cross walk and the guy behind me took advantage of that to cross completely over the double yellow line onto the wrong side of the road, and gun it through the pedestrian walkway past me and then swerved back in front of me to avoid a head on collision with oncoming traffic that had slowed up.

His actions gained him exactly one car length. So yeah, I was wrong to lose my temper. But this was not a case of me driving too slowly. There is nobody that knows me that wouldn't find any accusation of my driving too slowly to be laughable.

This was a case of someone who truly needed to have his ass kicked. It should be the cops that do the ass kicking; I get that. But it's not like someone flipped me the bird and I got bent out of shape over it. This is a busy town with a ton of pedestrians. He could've easily killed some kid walking out between cars.

Yes but you're not batman or another vigilante crime fighter. You probably should have at most just noted down his number plate and informed the cops of the reckless driving incident and moved on with life. There are a TON of idiots on the road everyday. There's no point in getting personally riled up about their conduct other than reporting said behavior to the authorities. Any other reaction isn't going to solve anything.

ADVERTISEMENT