ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Police report without plate number, should I bother?

Not so fast. So, you are on the GSP on your way to the shore going 74 mph in the left lane (my trooper friends say Speed limit +9 and you will never get a ticket) There is heavy traffic in each lane. You see there are about 4 cars to pass in the right lane next to you, and you gradually speed up to about 77 to pass, you see you are about to pass and move over when an A-hole guido wearing a wife beater T pulls within 10 feet and IMMEDIATELY starts high beaming you and beeping without giving you 1 second to pull over. In this case its not the driver in the left lane its the d-bag guido causing the problem.

Yes, I get it, some people are oblivious, and don't understand going 50 mph is a problem and should be in the right lane. Most of the time, when you get closer (without T-gating) Drivers pull over. THose who don't, you just have to safely get around them.

But entitled d-bags thinking they are mario andretti weaving in an out going 85mph is a much bigger threat than someone going a little slow.

Several things:

-Did you read where I wrote OPEN highway? If there's heavy traffic on the GSP, I just get in the left lane and go with the flow of that lane (55, 65, 75, whatever it is). In light to moderate traffic, this is where the principle of 'keep right, pass left' most heavily applies.
-I make no unrealistic comparison of myself to a legendary F1 driver. However, I travel at higher speeds than the majority of other drivers, and am perfectly comfortable in doing so in my car.
-It's irrelevant whether you're traveling 10 mph under the speed limit or 10 over the speed limit in the left lane; if not passing and there's room to move over, it's illegal. And if I'm traveling at a faster speed than you as traffic volume/conditions allow, you will inevitably be passed.
-believe it or not, driving at the speeds I do and having to pass a lot makes me pay more attention to the road than the oblivious driver going 50 in the left lane.

The rest of the stereotypical drivel in your post was just ignored.

Last edited:
Then pull over as soon as you can. You don't know why the guy behind you needs to go faster than you, but he does. Hopefully for a valid reason, i.e. Family emergency, whatever?

No excuse to turn it into another family emergency.

I'm still trying to figure out why he was passed at you in the first place and what laws he broke.
Serenity now, serenity now

Not so fast. So, you are on the GSP on your way to the shore going 74 mph in the left lane (my trooper friends say Speed limit +9 and you will never get a ticket) There is heavy traffic in each lane. You see there are about 4 cars to pass in the right lane next to you, and you gradually speed up to about 77 to pass, you see you are about to pass and move over when an A-hole guido wearing a wife beater T pulls within 10 feet and IMMEDIATELY starts high beaming you and beeping without giving you 1 second to pull over. In this case its not the driver in the left lane its the d-bag guido causing the problem.

Yes, I get it, some people are oblivious, and don't understand going 50 mph is a problem and should be in the right lane. Most of the time, when you get closer (without T-gating) Drivers pull over. THose who don't, you just have to safely get around them.

But entitled d-bags thinking they are mario andretti weaving in an out going 85mph is a much bigger threat than someone going a little slow.

WRONG!! It has been proven that slow drivers, especially in the left lane cause the most traffic problems. If you are not going to go at least the speed limit get out of the way and certain not stay in the left (passing) lane.

In my particular case (as mentioned above), I was on a single lane road with a 30 mph speed limit, in a long line of cars, with cars parked on both sides of the road. There was literally no way to go any faster that whatever the line of cars was doing - maybe 25.

The person behind me was maybe 3 feet behind at most. I slowed up a little to put even more room between me and the car in front of me because, with someone tailgating me that close, I didn't want to have to brake quickly for anything.

I tried to wave the guy back and his response was to move even closer and ride my bumper. Which is when I started to get pissed off.

As we rolled into town on the same road, there's a pedestrian cross walk. Pedestrians have been hit in the walk. The walk has pedestrian crossing lights (it used to have a warning bell too, but that seems to have crapped out). I slowed up a little to check that nobody was entering the cross walk and the guy behind me took advantage of that to cross completely over the double yellow line onto the wrong side of the road, and gun it through the pedestrian walkway past me and then swerved back in front of me to avoid a head on collision with oncoming traffic that had slowed up.

His actions gained him exactly one car length. So yeah, I was wrong to lose my temper. But this was not a case of me driving too slowly. There is nobody that knows me that wouldn't find any accusation of my driving too slowly to be laughable.

This was a case of someone who truly needed to have his ass kicked. It should be the cops that do the ass kicking; I get that. But it's not like someone flipped me the bird and I got bent out of shape over it. This is a busy town with a ton of pedestrians. He could've easily killed some kid walking out between cars.

In that case, just focus on what is in front of you and don't worry about what is behind you. Drive with your eyes on the road ahead of you and not in your rear view mirror.

In that case, just focus on what is in front of you and don't worry about what is behind you. Drive with your eyes on the road ahead of you and not in your rear view mirror.
Ah, the old stick your head in the sand and pretend there's no danger approach to defensive driving. No thanks. I think I'll stick w/my current approach of being alert to everything around me when I drive.

Be careful, someone might accuse you of thread rage and setting a bad example [roll][winking]
edit: I was pulled over by a cop for road rage.
An unmarked cop car cut in front of me while I was driving on freeway causing me to hit the brakes and I thew my hand up in disgust
( no finger or up yours sign) and moved to another lane shaking my head as I passed him.
Next thing I knew he put his lights and siren on and pulled me over
Came to door with usual license , registration and insurance card request and after I handed them to him asked me if I knew why I was pulled over.
Said because I passed you? He said road rage and I told him I got mad because he cut me off.
He didn't want to accept that and I knew I better be careful , so apologized for getting mad and that satisfied him.
I left and made sure he got ahead of me and I made sure didn't get close to that butthead while on that freeway before turning off of it.
Sometimes road rage is considered one thing by one person and not by another.
As for the police , I've had my car break down and they were more then willing to help me .
Sometimes things just happen and you must make the best out of it that you can and that's not easy to do all the time
Just had a friend in a similar situation, according to my friend the guy was tailgating him on turnpike in left lane. My friend was going 75 and trying to merge right but couldn't, due to traffic. He said guy was a foot or two from his bumper. Friend got off turnpike....guy followed him. Friend went allllll the way to far right toll, guy followed him at a dangerously close distance. After pulling through toll, my friend stepped hard on brakes. Car sped up, officer held up his badge and yelled to pull over. Friend was reluctant to do so, but did. Turns out guy was some off duty sheriff (or maybe another position I don't recall). He had a kid in his car and asked my friend why he was driving like such an asshole. Went on and on about how he could arrest him yards yards yards and then let him go.

My friend called internal affairs because he felt the officer was instigating the issue. My friend was honestly trying to get out of the guy way and after safely merging into right lane, was tailgates for at least 3 miles.

Crazy

It is hard to figure out whether driving a car tends to change one's personality or just gives one an opportunity to express it.

Yeah, that could've been me getting led away, unfortunately. My kid was in the car and all I could think about was how this numb nut was putting my kid at risk with his driving. Totally lost my temper and forgot all about how me getting out of the car and approaching the other car held even greater potential danger for my kid. Like I said, not a proud moment in any way.

Displaying road rage in front of a child in your car is a very bad idea. Not only do you possibly scare the child but your actions teach him that it's OK to behave that way, setting a very poor example as a parent.

And you can always run into this type of guy when you road rage:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/...se_samurai_sword_in_road_ra.html#incart_river

It is hard to figure out whether driving a car tends to change one's personality or just gives one an opportunity to express it.
The way a person is behind the wheel is how that person really is. That being said someone tailgating me doesn't bother me unless it's a big truck on a snowy road and I know I will be stopping to make a turn soon.

Displaying road rage in front of a child in your car is a very bad idea. Not only do you possibly scare the child but your actions teach him that it's OK to behave that way, setting a very poor example as a parent.
<sigh> Yes, I know that. I basically admitted to having acted poorly.

But, as your comments are in the best interests of my kid, I'll simply take my lumps and thank you for your advice. I also got teased by @RU848789 who brought my post up with that very same kid this morning after our soccer game.

You'll be happy to hear that the kid in question is a student at RU planning on going to law school. He has never been in a fight, doesn't drink (dammit), and has a 4.0 GPA. @RU848789 will confirm, I'm sure, that he's a very mature kid. He seems to have successfully avoided being thoroughly corrupted by witnessing my terrible example(s).

And you can always run into this type of guy when you road rage:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/...se_samurai_sword_in_road_ra.html#incart_river

Ironically, Mildone displayed great patience with Knightmoves - whose comments were quite annoying.

"Hey, I did something I'm not proud of, but I admit that..."

"You set a poor example for your kid, I hope you're proud of yourself"

"I'm not, see my post"

"Stop making excuses and admit you were wrong"

"I was wrong. That was the point of my post."

"Do you have any idea that you were wrong?"

In my particular case (as mentioned above), I was on a single lane road with a 30 mph speed limit, in a long line of cars, with cars parked on both sides of the road. There was literally no way to go any faster that whatever the line of cars was doing - maybe 25.

The person behind me was maybe 3 feet behind at most. I slowed up a little to put even more room between me and the car in front of me because, with someone tailgating me that close, I didn't want to have to brake quickly for anything.

I tried to wave the guy back and his response was to move even closer and ride my bumper. Which is when I started to get pissed off.

As we rolled into town on the same road, there's a pedestrian cross walk. Pedestrians have been hit in the walk. The walk has pedestrian crossing lights (it used to have a warning bell too, but that seems to have crapped out). I slowed up a little to check that nobody was entering the cross walk and the guy behind me took advantage of that to cross completely over the double yellow line onto the wrong side of the road, and gun it through the pedestrian walkway past me and then swerved back in front of me to avoid a head on collision with oncoming traffic that had slowed up.

His actions gained him exactly one car length. So yeah, I was wrong to lose my temper. But this was not a case of me driving too slowly. There is nobody that knows me that wouldn't find any accusation of my driving too slowly to be laughable.

This was a case of someone who truly needed to have his ass kicked. It should be the cops that do the ass kicking; I get that. But it's not like someone flipped me the bird and I got bent out of shape over it. This is a busy town with a ton of pedestrians. He could've easily killed some kid walking out between cars.

mild - did you see the moron in front of me this morning when I left Brewed after soccer? He was making the left onto New St. from Main and instead of just making the left, he proceeded to make a wide sweeping u-turn on New, in front of oncoming traffic and near pedestrians, so he could then make a right and head back the other way on Main. I beeped, but was tempted to chase him down, lol.

While I don't condone getting out of the car to yell at someone, like you did, I can certainly understand being really pissed off about a guy tailgating then endangering people in our little town by passing you in a pedestrian area. I've gotten into a few shouting matches on the highway over the years, but, like many, as I've gotten older, I tend to not get nearly as worked up. But, as I gave you grief about today, driving over 120 mph with your kids in the car is just dumb - I get the thrill part of driving fast, but don't put your kids at risk, too.

But, as your comments are in the best interests of my kid, I'll simply take my lumps and thank you for your advice. I also got teased by @RU848789 who brought my post up with that very same kid this morning after our soccer game.

You'll be happy to hear that the kid in question is a student at RU planning on going to law school. He has never been in a fight, doesn't drink (dammit), and has a 4.0 GPA. @RU848789 will confirm, I'm sure, that he's a very mature kid. He seems to have successfully avoided being thoroughly corrupted by witnessing my terrible example(s).

Yes, despite mildone's best attempts to model horrible behaviors and ruin his children, they have grown up to be great young adults. :>)

Yes, despite mildone's best attempts to model horrible behaviors and ruin his children, they have grown up to be great young adults. :>)

Yes, In spite of the road rage behavior of their old man. I agree that they must be great kids for overcoming this type of poor parenting on the roads. Goes to show that sometimes the parent acts more like a child and vice versa.

Ironically, Mildone displayed great patience with Knightmoves - whose comments were quite annoying.

"Hey, I did something I'm not proud of, but I admit that..."

"You set a poor example for your kid, I hope you're proud of yourself"

"I'm not, see my post"

"Stop making excuses and admit you were wrong"

"I was wrong. That was the point of my post."

"Do you have any idea that you were wrong?"

Well done - saved me some typing, lol. KM simply didn't read mild's posts.

WRONG!! It has been proven that slow drivers, especially in the left lane cause the most traffic problems. If you are not going to go at least the speed limit get out of the way and certain not stay in the left (passing) lane.

Who are you lecturing? Did you read the post? I already mentioned people going below the speed limit should pull over as this is dangerous.

What I am talking about are d-bags who pull right up behind you when you are trying to go right but need to pass a car or two in traffic and are going well over the limit. I go speed limit plus 9, as you will never get a ticket for doing this.

Are you suggesting that going over the speed limit, waiting to pull over in the left lane with no where to go I should somehow immediately get out of the way of and a-hole driver who is came up behind doing 85 with his horn and highbeams on. And you think this is appropriate behavior?

Another bad decision was starting this thread and looking for support/sympathy. :cool2:

mild - did you see the moron in front of me this morning when I left Brewed after soccer? He was making the left onto New St. from Main and instead of just making the left, he proceeded to make a wide sweeping u-turn on New, in front of oncoming traffic and near pedestrians, so he could then make a right and head back the other way on Main. I beeped, but was tempted to chase him down, lol.

While I don't condone getting out of the car to yell at someone, like you did, I can certainly understand being really pissed off about a guy tailgating then endangering people in our little town by passing you in a pedestrian area. I've gotten into a few shouting matches on the highway over the years, but, like many, as I've gotten older, I tend to not get nearly as worked up. But, as I gave you grief about today, driving over 120 mph with your kids in the car is just dumb - I get the thrill part of driving fast, but don't put your kids at risk, too.
Very funny, but I never drive 120mph.

Who are you lecturing? Did you read the post? I already mentioned people going below the speed limit should pull over as this is dangerous.

What I am talking about are d-bags who pull right up behind you when you are trying to go right but need to pass a car or two in traffic and are going well over the limit. I go speed limit plus 9, as you will never get a ticket for doing this.

Are you suggesting that going over the speed limit, waiting to pull over in the left lane with no where to go I should somehow immediately get out of the way of and a-hole driver who is came up behind doing 85 with his horn and highbeams on. And you think this is appropriate behavior?

Hoboken,

All I am saying is to avoid a confrontation. If someone is that aggressive or in that much of a hurry. Let them pass you. It is not your job to teach him right from wrong. Let the police do their job. All you should do is let them pass and report them to the police.

Ah, the old stick your head in the sand and pretend there's no danger approach to defensive driving. No thanks. I think I'll stick w/my current approach of being alert to everything around me when I drive.

Done,

Not at all, but you drive your car by looking where you are going. Not looking in the mirror to see where you have been. Be more concerned about what is in front of you and much less concerned as to what is behind you. I really hate drivers who drive by looking in their rear view mirrors all of the time. Keep your eyes on the road ahead of you and you will be fine.

Meanwhile, in a road rage incident the other day that lasted less then 3 mins...with both drivers calling 911...one man (with wife, kid and grandchild in his car) followed the other vehicle to that person's house...and Driver of car with family got out of his car was shot and killed by homeowner of car #2, who is also now charged in this death.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/07/26/road-rage-shooting-nr-sot-valencia.cnn

Was it really worth it to get involved in this or ANY road rage incident?

I think not.

When I get in my car, I realize that 40,000 people are killed in just car accidents in this country alone (many at no fault of their own)..and my goal is always to arrive alive wherever I am going...and I don't give a flip if my machismo is ever hurt by anyone in another car.

Last edited:
It is amazing how on edge some people are when driving. It's like they are looking for reasons to blow a gasket. We all get mad from time to time, but for some people, it is every time they get behind the wheel. I hate riding with people like that.

My high school friend's older brother (a big guy) was driving, thought a guy in tiny red sports car cut him off, both cars ended up pulling to the side of the highway. My friend's brother jumped out of his truck and started briskly walking up to the sports car to confront the driver. The other guy gets out and is absolutely massive. He proceeds to chase the aggressor back to his truck. My friend's brother pulls away and that was the end of it. You just never know who is in that other car.

It is amazing how on edge some people are when driving. It's like they are looking for reasons to blow a gasket. We all get mad from time to time, but for some people, it is every time they get behind the wheel. I hate riding with people like that.

My high school friend's older brother (a big guy) was driving, thought a guy in tiny red sports car cut him off, both cars ended up pulling to the side of the highway. My friend's brother jumped out of his truck and started briskly walking up to the sports car to confront the driver. The other guy gets out and is absolutely massive. He proceeds to chase the aggressor back to his truck. My friend's brother pulls away and that was the end of it. You just never know who is in that other car.

Years ago my buddy was driving North on the GSP around Saddle Brrok Exit 159. A late model sports car cut him off as he approached the Northbound toll. Enraged, my friend starts giving the guy the three fingered salute from behind before pulling up next to him and opening his window to start screaming at the guy.

The other driver rolls down his window and gives a stern look to my friend. Recognizing the other driver my buddy smiles, waves and says, " Hey LT, have a nice day !"

You never know who is in the other car or what they may do next.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT