ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Printer recommendations?

Leonard23

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
I have an HP Photosmart Premium all in one C309a that has had a ton of problems over the years (wireless connectivity, firmware, feeder, misaligned prints) & I'm looking to replace it. I'm not sure if I should get a laser or ink jet but I use it for regular printing, copying & scanning & pics. Suggestions? TIA
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I use an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium All in One Wireless with 2 trays, 1 for Legal Size and 1 for Standard Size in my Home Office. Connects easily to Wireless Network, Prints, Scans and copies well. Works nicely with my iPhone and iPad. Ink Cartridges are not outrageous in price as I can usually get a deal with Staples or Mason that helps. I have this about 2 years with no issues. Replaced a similar model which I had for about 5 years. It's usually available with a significant discount at Staples. I don't buy the extended warranty or service contract, because if it breaks, I would toss it. I would rate it ****.

How many pages per day (or week) do you print?
Is most of your printing in color or B/W?
Do you scan multipage documents, or just single pages/photos.
Do you copy multipage documents?
Are you using the printer for business purposes, or just for personal purposes?
How important is printing speed (i.e., pages per minute)?

Originally posted by Upstream:
How many pages per day (or week) do you print?
Is most of your printing in color or B/W?
Do you scan multipage documents, or just single pages/photos.
Do you copy multipage documents?
Are you using the printer for business purposes, or just for personal purposes?
How important is printing speed (i.e., pages per minute)?
We use it mostly for personal (pics, web, docs, kids stuff) stuff & some work. I don't know how many pages per day but it gets used some most days. I'm not printing 50-100 pages a day.

Scan & copy multiple page docs & individual pics & pages.

Speed is nice but not critical.

We have an Epson XP-820 that we use at home the same way you do.

In our house we have an I-Pad, Chromebook and a HP laptop for wireless printing along with a connected HP desktop with no issues to hook up or to print from.

Fax part has worked pretty good too.

Originally posted by Leonard23:

We use it mostly for personal (pics, web, docs, kids stuff) stuff & some work. I don't know how many pages per day but it gets used some most days. I'm not printing 50-100 pages a day.

Scan & copy multiple page docs & individual pics & pages.

Speed is nice but not critical.
Sounds like you are pretty much a casual user. You probably just want to get an inexpensive all-in-one printer/scanner with an automatic document feeder to handle scanning multiple page documents. I wouldn't spend more than $120 ... because then you are buying features and specs you really don't need. Go to Staples or Costco and just pick up the printer that has the features you want at the low price point.

I wouldn't stress too much over it. Any name-brand printer in the $70 - $120 price will perform adequately for you.

I got the HP Office jet Pro 8625 @ Costco for $185. Hopefully, it's better than my last HP. Thanks.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

This post was edited on 3/7 10:07 PM by Leonard23

I just purchased an HP ENVY 7640 wireless all-in-one 2 weeks ago for $129 from Staples. (I think it was an HP promotion - everyone seemed to have the same price that week; list price is $199 but regular price at Staples is $149.) I'm 100% happy with it so far. Print speed is fast, scan and copy quality is very good. It has a feeder and two-sided print capability. Setup was pretty easy and I've been able to print successfully via email and my iphone. The online reviews that I've read correlate well with my own experience.

I started a printer thread a couple of months ago. Ended up going with the Brother HL-L2380DW multifunction laser printer.

I only needed B&W, but there's a color equivalent.

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:
I started a printer thread a couple of months ago. Ended up going with the Brother HL-L2380DW multifunction laser printer.

I only needed B&W, but there's a color equivalent.
I started a printer thread a couple months before PhilaPhans and got the same Brother laser printer. At that time everyone said get anything except the HP Office jet Pro 8625. That one breaks in 3 2 1...

Just kidding about the HP. :-)

Just picked up the Dell c1760nw and it is nice. Color laser and wireless. I needed color and didn't want to deal with the ink issues. I believe the c1765nfw is the multifunction version and you can get it regularly for $140 if you keep an eye on the deal websites.

My next Printer won't be HP.
The replacement cartridges cost a small fortune.
That's were the money is..... sure they can lose money on selling the Printers knowing they will rip off consumers on the cartrdges.

hp 7520 is a great 3 in 1 printer but as said before the ink relpacement is way too high, if you want a great photo printer try the canon 7520 its a six cartrige printer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT