ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Quick Question -- Beren"stein" or Beren"stain" Bears???

Who cares, but give it an hour and a group of adult males will be arguing over why recruits are fooling themselve for wanting to play for the Bears.

Who cares, but give it an hour and a group of adult males will be arguing over why recruits are fooling themselve for wanting to play for the Bears.

Ha! Well, I remember it as Beren"STEIN" -- big part of my childhood, but apparently all the books in the whole world have been changed to Beren"Stain."

So need to settle this before I can sleep! LOL

815xvi7p8gL.jpg

I've got your back - I remember it as Berenstein, too. I assume you saw the Wiki page where there was discussion of whether the name was changed or not. Maybe folks reading it to you as a child just said it "stein" because that's a more common name.

I'm more interested in WTF kind of bear they're supposed to be. They look more like a coyote to me.

I've got your back - I remember it as Berenstein, too. I assume you saw the Wiki page where there was discussion of whether the name was changed or not. Maybe folks reading it to you as a child just said it "stein" because that's a more common name.

I'm more interested in WTF kind of bear they're supposed to be. They look more like a coyote to me.

Exactly. Then a little google search here and there, and whamo -- lots of people across the world are checking their attics, etc. and even their old books from the 60s now say Beren"stain"! LOL

Agreed .. upon closer examination, the bears look more like a family of werewolves or something. Thanks for the validation! :)

Don't let your kids read those books. In every book, the father is an idiot jerk and the mother has to correct the father.

That's the pattern of a generation of television sitcoms from the Honeymooners in the 50s, Happy Days in the 70's, and Everybody Loves Raymond in the 90s.

Agreed! All part of the anti-traditional family game plan. By whom? Powers, principalities, etc.? Knowing or unwittingly? I don't know -- maybe some know and some are just swept up in the agenda. But it's still here and getting worse everyday.

Now before this thread gets castoff to the CE Board, how do you remember it? Stein or Stain???? :)

There is a hypothesis that the family name Einstein derived from Berenstein. Einstain doesn't sound like a kid who would grow up to first see e=mc2

Regardless of how you may have remembered it, or whether or not earlier editions of the books printed "STEIN" on the cover, BerenSTAIN is the last name of the authors (Jan and Stan Berenstain). That's how they spell their name. They may have corrected publishers, in later years, to use the appropriate spelling.

Regardless of how you may have remembered it, or whether or not earlier editions of the books printed "STEIN" on the cover, BerenSTAIN is the last name of the authors (Jan and Stan Berenstain). That's how they spell their name. They may have corrected publishers, in later years, to use the appropriate spelling.

Thanks. The general consensus from my brief survey of the internet is that all of the old books people have in their homes now say "STAIN," not that later printed editions were changed to correctly spell the authors' last name.

And a Google search shows that it seems impossible to find a picture of a copy of any older editions of these books with the spelling "STEIN."

I do appreciate your non-relativist view of things though .... truth is truth is truth. We could use more of that around here.

Thanks.

Agreed! All part of the anti-traditional family game plan. By whom? Powers, principalities, etc.? Knowing or unwittingly? I don't know -- maybe some know and some are just swept up in the agenda. But it's still here and getting worse everyday.

Now before this thread gets castoff to the CE Board, how do you remember it? Stein or Stain???? :)
The Honeymooners was part of a subsersive Hollywood plot to subvert the traditional the man is the only thing that matters and the wife is nothing but a live in maid/nanny/hooker family?

Always called them the "Berenstain Bears". Didn't realize people said "-stein" until I saw it on the internet today. Weird. The bigger quesiton is what the overlap is between people who incorrectly saw a white/gold dress and people who incorrectly read it as "Berenstein"... :p

Berenstain is actually the Anglicized transliteration of Berensteen, pronounced Ber-en stain. It's a Dutch-Flemish derivative meaning "bear stone or rock". Steen could also mean a castle or fortress.

Thanks. The general consensus from my brief survey of the internet is that all of the old books people have in their homes now say "STAIN," not that later printed editions were changed to correctly spell the authors' last name.

And a Google search shows that it seems impossible to find a picture of a copy of any older editions of these books with the spelling "STEIN."

I do appreciate your non-relativist view of things though .... truth is truth is truth. We could use more of that around here.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what to make of your response. In your original post, you ask how any of us remember the spelling. I merely commented that, even if we did remember it otherwise, that was likely corrected to reflect the correct spelling of the author's names. But, then - after pointing out the "new" spelling (stain), you ask, "Is that right?" To which, I answered, yes - because the author's names are spelled that way. So, it's right, if they say it's right. It has nothing to do with my opinion, relativist or not.

I'm not sure what to make of your response. In your original post, you ask how any of us remember the spelling. I merely commented that, even if we did remember it otherwise, that was likely corrected to reflect the correct spelling of the author's names. But, then - after pointing out the "new" spelling (stain), you ask, "Is that right?" To which, I answered, yes - because the author's names are spelled that way. So, it's right, if they say it's right. It has nothing to do with my opinion, relativist or not.

I would take it as a compliment. No offense intended. You started your response off with "Regardless of how you may have remembered it ...."

I happen to agree with you -- the truth owes no regard to my memory ... or my perceptions ... or my preferences ... etc.

I am sorry if I insulted you; not intended.

The Honeymooners was part of a subsersive Hollywood plot to subvert the traditional the man is the only thing that matters and the wife is nothing but a live in maid/nanny/hooker family?

Ha! Is that really a fair characterization of my post??? LOL
I recommend you take a second pass and see if you might come away with a little better understanding of my view. I have never known the traditional family to be defined as you suggest.

Happy Wednesday!

Berenstain is actually the Anglicized transliteration of Berensteen, pronounced Ber-en stain. It's a Dutch-Flemish derivative meaning "bear stone or rock". Steen could also mean a castle or fortress.

So they were Dutch, but everyone made them Jewish in their heads.

The author, Stan Berenstain was a secular Jew (according to his son). I've never met someone Dutch named Berenstain but if Alamo Al says it (on the internet) it must be true.

By the way, the Berenstain name was put on the the books by Dr. Seuss when he was a children's book editor at Random House.

ADVERTISEMENT