ADVERTISEMENT

OT: R U Installing Windows 10 Tomorrow?

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
I have two laptops. One from 2008 Toshiba Qosmio running Windows 7 / the other 2013 Toshiba Qosmio running Windows 8.1.

I'm converting the newer operating system (8.1) to Windows 10 tomorrow/ holding off on the other mainly because I LOVE the Hearts game / Chess Titans that came pre-installed with Windows 7. It appears that both (definitely Hearts) will be wiped out.

Any suggestions for purchasing a Good Hearts, Contract Bridge / 3 D Chess Game (if only Chess Titans were available).

Also what will those of you who switch to Windows 10 do for video since Windows Media Player will also be wiped out? XPMX or Plex and why?

Thanks in advance.

Tech MO

Im gonna install windows 9 since the price will drop drastically after 10 is out.

You can always tell the Pioneers by the arrows in their asses. I learned back in the late 60's NEVER to install a major software update as soon as it's released. Let someone else find the bugs. And there WILL be bugs.
One other thing. Whenever I get a new computer or upgrade the OS one of the first things I do is to delete the GAMES folder. I have more important things to do on my computer than to waste my time playing games.

Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight
I left Windows for OS X years ago and will likely never return (I'd probably move to Linux before ever going back to Windows), but I would suggest not upgrading unless it's a secondary machine. If your Windows 7 machine is your primary, then go ahead and upgrade the other one to check it out, but wait a while before upgrading your primary, especially with a Microsoft product.

Now Windows 10 might be cool to play with, but I do not want it on my PC. It is like Windows 8 only much worse. You are giving Microsoft license to control your computer. Gone will be the days when you can install a copy of Office. Now it will be an app, that only the user that installed it can use, no one else, and Microsoft can update your computer, at will.

Now Windows 10 might be cool to play with, but I do not want it on my PC. It is like Windows 8 only much worse. You are giving Microsoft license to control your computer. Gone will be the days when you can install a copy of Office. Now it will be an app, that only the user that installed it can use, no one else, and Microsoft can update your computer, at will.
Is that true? If that is the case Microsoft will drive everyone to a different OS all together.

I have two laptops. One from 2008 Toshiba Qosmio running Windows 7 / the other 2013 Toshiba Qosmio running Windows 8.1.

I'm converting the newer operating system (8.1) to Windows 10 tomorrow/ holding off on the other mainly because I LOVE the Hearts game / Chess Titans that came pre-installed with Windows 7. It appears that both (definitely Hearts) will be wiped out.

Any suggestions for purchasing a Good Hearts, Contract Bridge / 3 D Chess Game (if only Chess Titans were available).

Also what will those of you who switch to Windows 10 do for video since Windows Media Player will also be wiped out? XPMX or Plex and why?

Thanks in advance.

Tech MO

I'm doing what you are doing: installing Windows 10 on a laptop running 8.1, and holding off on the desktop running Windows 7. Except I am going to wait a few months before installing Windows 10 on the laptop, in hopes that any bugs/issues with the new release are fixed by then. After I see how Windows 10 runs on the laptop, I'll make a decision on whether to install Windows 10 on the desktop after I see how I like it on the laptop.

I'm doing what you are doing: installing Windows 10 on a laptop running 8.1, and holding off on the desktop running Windows 7. Except I am going to wait a few months before installing Windows 10 on the laptop, in hopes that any bugs/issues with the new release are fixed by then. After I see how Windows 10 runs on the laptop, I'll make a decision on whether to install Windows 10 on the desktop after I see how I like it on the laptop.

Upstream, Onthebanks thanks!

I appreciate your input and have decided to WAIT on installing Windows 10 on my main computer.

You guys made a lot of sense....

The Rutgers Board... can be a really great place to flesh/ flush out ideas! [smoke]

MO

So I see in that article where Microsoft is planning to automatically update Microsoft software in non-enterprise versions of the operating system. But that is not even close to the same as "giving Microsoft license to control your computer". And I don't see anything in that article about "Gone will be the days when you can install a copy of Office. Now it will be an app, that only the user that installed it can use, no one else." That is not true at all. Microsoft has expanded the license options for Office, providing may different options. A low-cost personal web license is one option. But the option to buy a copy and install it on your computer, is also available for a one-time cost of $139.99.

So pretty much, everything in your post, except for the last 7 words, is untrue. [In edit: From what ATIOH posted, even your last 7 words are false.]

Last edited:
Reactions: ATIOH
8.1 May be the worst thing ever invented. My wife has it, and I hate it.
It's not that bad once you get used to it.. win7 is better though.. I have 7 on my desktop and 8.1 on my laptop.. couldn't get a laptop with 7 and im not upgrading to 10 on it cuz im not sure if it's gonna run Serato (DJ software)

I have Windows 8 and hate it..signed up for the free windows 10 upgrade but I doubt I'll install it for a while

Have had it installed for a few months now on my htpc. I really only use the box to play games like Rust and Project Reality, but have had no issues with the OS to date.

I'm gonna wait until all of these hundreds of thousands of beta testers pound on it a bit.

From the link (Click here):

Windows 10 testers who've complained about mandatory updates in Microsoft's new operating system might have a solution at hand. The tool, available as an optional download, lets you hide or block any update for Windows or a hardware driver

One of the most controversial decisions Microsoft made in its design of Windows 10 is a fundamental change to the way Windows Update works.

Windows 10 Home offers no way to block security updates and new features. And even the Pro edition has only limited control over updates.

...but Microsoft does have a well-hidden troubleshooter package,KB3073930, which allows you to hide or block Windows Updates and, crucially, driver updates.

Last edited:
I am on Win10 right now.

I did have a problem with multi-monitor setup and nvidia card. The problem shows as Nvidia being unable to install or update drivers once in Win10. The solution was to revert back to Win7 (which was pretty easy.. a couple menu clicks).. download an nvidia driver removal tool.. which rebooted into safe mode to do its work.. then reinstall Win10 with only generic video card drivers. Then once in win10 reinstall Nvidia drivers for Win10. THEN REBOOT and all was well.

Other things to note.. if you use roboform it does not yet work with the new browsers MS Edge. IE is still available so you can just run that. MS Edge has a weird way to set default search engine.. you have to go to google.com and then use seetings-advanced settings to set the search default. Also, while it can import your favorites to a favorites toolbar you can display, they will be alpha sorted and you can only drag and place the ones you can see. I think Edge is still a work in progress,

Everything else I have tried seems to work well.

So, to review, if you are considering the update to win10 and use multi monitors with nvidia card.. uninstall all nvidia stuff first in Win7/8 and then upgrade. Save yourself some headaches.

You can always tell the Pioneers by the arrows in their asses. I learned back in the late 60's NEVER to install a major software update as soon as it's released. Let someone else find the bugs. And there WILL be bugs.
One other thing. Whenever I get a new computer or upgrade the OS one of the first things I do is to delete the GAMES folder. I have more important things to do on my computer than to waste my time playing games.[/QUOTE]

..like preach on a sorts message board.

Reactions: Knight_Light
From the link (Click here):

Windows 10 testers who've complained about mandatory updates in Microsoft's new operating system might have a solution at hand. The tool, available as an optional download, lets you hide or block any update for Windows or a hardware driver

One of the most controversial decisions Microsoft made in its design of Windows 10 is a fundamental change to the way Windows Update works.

Windows 10 Home offers no way to block security updates and new features. And even the Pro edition has only limited control over updates.

...but Microsoft does have a well-hidden troubleshooter package,KB3073930, which allows you to hide or block Windows Updates and, crucially, driver updates.

Money. Thanks!!

I tried to upgrade from y current OS, and it would not let me?
94206-Ms_Dos_1.25_(1982)(Microsoft)-1.jpg

One other thing. Whenever I get a new computer or upgrade the OS one of the first things I do is to delete the GAMES folder. I have more important things to do on my computer than to waste my time playing games.
DING DING DING,,w have a winner!!!!

Wait 6mo until the bugs are discovered and the "fixes" are installed. 10.1 will be the fix,,,just like 8.1 was the fix for 8.0.

DING DING DING,,w have a winner!!!!

Wait 6mo until the bugs are discovered and the "fixes" are installed. 10.1 will be the fix,,,just like 8.1 was the fix for 8.0.

Win 10 is win 8.2 for all intents and purposes. So there shouldn't be too many holes.

II installed win 10 pro on an HTPC I was putting together yesterday and all went fine except for a couple of driver issues which were easy fixes.

Only messed around with it a little bit so too soon to tell for sure but I kind of like it. The UI is much more PC friendly than 8.1 which is geared towards touch screen.

typing this using my Fam rm TV for monitor on that machine right now. I will let everybody know if any issues pop up. I agree not to use unproven software on your every day driver though. Win 10 will not be on my office PC until necessary. Win 7 is just fine.

The enterprise version is getting released this weekend, in case anyone wants to upgrade their work laptops, etc. If you work in IT, of course

Found another issue today..

I have icons pinned to the taskbar for some simple things like Calc.exe, notepad.exe and so on. They are still there after the upgrade but point to the Windows.Old locations.. and the libraries needed for them to fully function are not running. You'll need to find the new versions of these items to pin to the taskbar. The new ones were in C:\Windows.

I needed to print some notes I had taken and the old notepad looked lie it was functioning perfectly.. util I asked it to print something. It warned me about something not running.. then couldn't find any printers and told me to add them (which was unnecessary if I had run the correct notepad.exe) . Then the app hung.

Found another issue today..

I have icons pinned to the taskbar for some simple things like Calc.exe, notepad.exe and so on. They are still there after the upgrade but point to the Windows.Old locations.. and the libraries needed for them to fully function are not running. You'll need to find the new versions of these items to pin to the taskbar. The new ones were in C:\Windows.

I needed to print some notes I had taken and the old notepad looked lie it was functioning perfectly.. util I asked it to print something. It warned me about something not running.. then couldn't find any printers and told me to add them (which was unnecessary if I had run the correct notepad.exe) . Then the app hung.

Yep. These are the types of issues that will cause me to wait a month or two before upgrading. Let you and others figure this out, and I'll upgrade when most of this has been fixed.

OS hate always amuses me. I'm pretty platform agnostic, Windows works fine, Mac works fine they are platforms to store some files and launch programs.

Windows 8.1 is essentially windows 7 with a different start screen (that you can easily change). The main difference is that it is way, way faster than 7.

That said, no way would I upgrade a windows 7 machine to 10, skipping an OS and putting a new version on older hardware is bad news.

I upgraded last night. 15 seconds after first login blue screen of death. With lightning like typing skills, I was able to reboot into safe mood and use recovery to roll back to 8.1. I'll try again in another couple of weeks. Me thinks MS is in trouble with the media on this forced upgrade thing.

LOL @ Windows users!:joy:

The arrogance of Apple fanboys amuses me.

"Oh the most prolific OS in the world is too difficult for me to use.. So Ill pay twice as much for Apple products and then act intellectually superior to windows users who don't need Apple to hold their hands".

Same thing is true for Android now and probably soon enough for Chrome OS users.

And all Apple did was embrace UNIX, not invented by Apple, the Inte architecture, not invented by Apple, and digital music players, again, not invented by Apple. So keep paying more for Apple stuff.. My portfolio loves you cult members.

Reactions: megadrone
If you're gonna hold off on 10, and have 8.1, then install classic shell...it gives you the regular start button back and basically turns 8.1 into W7. free ware too. google it.

Reactions: MoobyCow
ADVERTISEMENT