ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Rangers down 3-2 to the Bolts

"No effect". A team being battle tested, and having experience, has no "no effect"? Lundqvist even ADMITTED last night that it does have an effect. He knows he's dominant in these games and he wants to live up to his billing. Past trends to impact future results. Thats a naive statement by you

Looks like I won't get to go to game 7, but will still be a great game to watch on TV - absolutely love playoff hockey.

Now looking likely that I will get to go to Game 7, as our friend's ticket-mate really can't afford all these playoff games at $180 per ticket this series and she offered the ticket to either my wife or me. I tried to convince my wife to go, as she's best friends with our friend, the ticketholder, and has never been to a playoff hockey game, but my wife countered that I should go, since I'm a much bigger hockey fan than she is (nice of her). Still not decided, but one of us will be there. Pretty cool.

"No effect". A team being battle tested, and having experience, has no "no effect"? Lundqvist even ADMITTED last night that it does have an effect. He knows he's dominant in these games and he wants to live up to his billing. Past trends to impact future results. Thats a naive statement by you
I don't know what the context is, but you can't take what these players say in post-game interviews too seriously. They always just say exactly what the media and fans want to hear, and usually the question is framed in a manner in which you already know what the player is going to say before he even starts speaking. Do you think he would want to win any less if he didn't have to "live up to his billing?" Do you think the Lightning are going to be nervous just because it's a home Game 7 for the Rangers? Of course not, these guys are professionals! Every one of these players has played in huge do-or-die games throughout their entire lives. Regardless of which team comes out on top, it will be because they executed and the other team didn't.

Johnson has the most points and goals in the postseason, Kucherov is tied for second in both categories, and Stamkos isn't far behind. If these guys playing in the Stanley Cup Finals would be boring for you, then you might as well not watch regardless of who is in it. Also, the Rangers were the epitome of all-out defensive shell a few years ago when Tortorella's master plan was just to block as many shots as possible. It wasn't exciting, but good defense usually isn't so you can't hold that against them or any other team. The players and coaches aren't trying to put on a show, their job is just to win.

Style is a product of the whole team and not a few players with "statistics". Lightening have demonstrated that they have only one way to win. Surround Booth and let the big dude take up as much room as possible. I am a Ranger fan so no surprise I watch their games regardless. Given the full gambit of games on Center Ice, I would never pick a Devils game, for instance, because it is boring. Lightening haven't been that way all season but that is what they will do against any team left in the playoffs. It's their best chance to win, which is the objective, of course.

Meanwhile, the Ducks goalie just gave up 3 in the second period, with 7 minutes still to play. If Boudreau loses this series, I fear for his health. The poor guy was cursed in Washington for years and he gets so red in the face it is scary.

Very happy to see Chicago win tonight. Both semis going to Game 7 with four of the top seven teams in the NHL this year and with nearly every game being a barnburner - it doesn't get much better than this. Kind of a shame these games aren't on network TV, as there could be no better advertisement for hockey than these two series. I continue to want to see the Original 6 teams, NY and Chicago, make it to the finals, but will watch the finals no matter what.

Style is a product of the whole team and not a few players with "statistics". Lightening have demonstrated that they have only one way to win. Surround Booth and let the big dude take up as much room as possible. I am a Ranger fan so no surprise I watch their games regardless. Given the full gambit of games on Center Ice, I would never pick a Devils game, for instance, because it is boring. Lightening haven't been that way all season but that is what they will do against any team left in the playoffs. It's their best chance to win, which is the objective, of course.
They are the Lightning, not the Lightening, and by Booth do you mean Bishop? Either way, I'm not sure what you mean by surrounding him. Are you saying they are boring because they rely on their goalie to carry them? Because that sounds exactly like the Rangers for the past nine years. Also the word you are looking for two sentences later is "gamut," not gambit. I can tell you haven't watched much Devils hockey over the past ten years because anyone who has would know that they don't play the boring, trapping style they used to. Either way, this is a stupid point to make. A "boring" hockey game is still more fun to watch than an "exciting" basketball or baseball game.

Guess you missed it when Lou was back behind the bench this past season. Boring, compared to other hockey games. I would rather watch Curling than those other pro sports you mentioned. Curling is something women do to their hair right after lightening it.

Very happy to see Chicago win tonight. Both semis going to Game 7 with four of the top seven teams in the NHL this year and with nearly every game being a barnburner - it doesn't get much better than this. Kind of a shame these games aren't on network TV, as there could be no better advertisement for hockey than these two series. I continue to want to see the Original 6 teams, NY and Chicago, make it to the finals, but will watch the finals no matter what.

And so does the NHL. Two O6 teams plus two of the top three television markets although I don't think they would shed any tears if it's Anaheim/NY either. I think Doc mentioned it last night, the last time two conference finals both went 7 was 2000 (Devils/Flyers; Stars/Avs). Compare this to all the excitement going on in the NBA where you knew who was going to be in the Finals back in November and both CF were essentially over after three games. The contrast is amazing.

Where is the excitement for game 7? Devils fan here and cant wait until tonight's game.
Game 7s rarely disappoint.

I'm sure your aware of this already, but in case your not: You are a loser.

Think the one-sided third period actually plays in TB's favor. It's a very similar game / outcome to Game 4 with the NYR extending the lead late like that, and then TB learned from that and played a shut-down G5. Cooper clearly alluded to this as well in his post game. I think TB comes out in similar fashion and will shut down the Rangers again but anything can hapen in a G7.

Wow. Ru cheese called it with this post. Congrats cheese.

Reactions: 40Berg
What a game!!!

Rangers will get many more chances at this...very young team with a goalie in his prime. But they bet the farm for this year with no 1st round picks in 2 years..wonder if it hurts them.

As a hockey fan though, looking forward to seeing these Lightning keep playing. Very fun team to watch.

Moose - what the hell is wrong with you? I'll never understand trolling, I guess.

Anyway, was lucky enough to be at the game tonight at the Garden - 2nd straight game 7 I got to go to. It's good to have friends with tickets, one of whom was trying to make back some money on the tickets. Plase was electric to start, but it wasn't as wild as the Caps game 7, probably because this game was the worst game of the series, excitement-wise.

The first two periods were a tentative, overly-conservative snore-fest, with neither team sending more than 3 men into the offensive zone and usually only sending two down low - hard to play dump and chase and be effective without committing players occasionally. And then Henrik somehow let that backhander in through the 5-hole and the air just went out of the place.

For some reason, the Rangers just seemed flat and lethargic and never really mounted a strong challenge, even after the 2nd goal, which HL had no chance on. That one was on the backchecking winger, who simply failed to pursue Palat, letting him in alone on HL. Lundqvist made several amazing saves, though, earlier, so this one was not on him. The Rangers offense was simply anemic - I'm not sure Bishop had to make more than 2-3 moderately difficult saves and none of his saves were close to as good as at least 3-4 that Lundqvist made.

I feel badly for my friend, as she's such a die-hard Rangers fan. Oh well. Tampa was just better tonight. Hate seeing non-Original-6, non-snow cities having a chance to win the Cup - it's just not right. I'll be rooting for the Hawks tomorrow and against Tampa, if they can beat Anaheim.

Moose - what the hell is wrong with you? I'll never understand trolling, I guess.

Just having a little fun at their expense, #s. I've encountered too many dickhead obnoxious Rangers fans to count over the years. One perfect example was Game 4 of the ECF against Ottawa at the Meadowlands back in '03. This was when the Rangers hadn't sniffed the playoffs in something like 5 years . This Rangers fan shows up in his Brian Leech jersey and is just asking for a beer bath all game long. He got his hat trick: A beer bath, excorted out of the building, and a Devils win... LOL. Another example was the burly man with the shaved head and sunglasses sitting on forhead (oh that's so cool isn't it ?) at the bar last night who didn't like my Bolts t-shirt or the fact that I had the audacity to root against the Rangers. Thought I was going to have to fight my way out of there.

To go so far as to purchase the apparel of a team playing your enemy team is not something I'd admit to.

Having said all this, it's the little brother syndrome that you and other Devils fans have that gives thus rivalry juice. Filling up the rock and booing your home team off the ice the last game of the season in a 5 goal romp was great. I guess you expunged that memory from your cranium.

I'm not gonna get into this Bc I'm tired, but Devils have far more pressing issues than competitivesness. Look at it this way -- your very lucky you fill up the arena with away fans vs the rangers and flyers, Bc games against the likes of the Panthers and stars get UGLY. Don't see how that's even arguable.

What a game!!!

Rangers will get many more chances at this...very young team with a goalie in his prime. But they bet the farm for this year with no 1st round picks in 2 years..wonder if it hurts them.

As a hockey fan though, looking forward to seeing these Lightning keep playing. Very fun team to watch.

I think they have 1 maybe 2 more seasons to win it. Unfortunately for them, Lundquist is at the end of his prime as almost all goalies decline in their mid 30s.

Congrats on going 1 out of 5 Moose. That's slightly better than the 1 out of 6 forwards the Devils actually have in order to fill out their top two lines adequately.

But let's hear some more about that guy who bothered you over a decade ago.

Just having a little fun at their expense, #s. I've encountered too many dickhead obnoxious Rangers fans to count over the years. One perfect example was Game 4 of the ECF against Ottawa at the Meadowlands back in '03. This was when the Rangers hadn't sniffed the playoffs in something like 5 years . This Rangers fan shows up in his Brian Leech jersey and is just asking for a beer bath all game long. He got his hat trick: A beer bath, excorted out of the building, and a Devils win... LOL. Another example was the burly man with the shaved head and sunglasses sitting on forhead (oh that's so cool isn't it ?) at the bar last night who didn't like my Bolts t-shirt or the fact that I had the audacity to root against the Rangers. Thought I was going to have to fight my way out of there.

So let me get this straight... A guy needs beer dumped on him because he's wearing a #2 jersey at the Meadowlands, yet you wear a Tampa shirt as a Devils fan to a bar for game 7 and you wonder why the guy is ticked? Are you listening to yourself? I'm extremely confused with your logic here because it sounds like you're the one being obnoxious. This thread by its very nature is obnoxious.

I have no beef with the Devils. Never did. When I first started following hockey as a young lad they were simply a mediocre expansion team a few years removed from KC and Colorado. Since that time they've had great success as a franchise so there is no reason for Devils fans to carry such a complex. Just enjoy your Cups and call it a day.

To go so far as to purchase the apparel of a team playing your enemy team is not something I'd admit to.

Having said all this, it's the little brother syndrome that you and other Devils fans have that gives thus rivalry juice. Filling up the rock and booing your home team off the ice the last game of the season in a 5 goal romp was great. I guess you expunged that memory from your cranium.

I'm not gonna get into this Bc I'm tired, but Devils have far more pressing issues than competitivesness. Look at it this way -- your very lucky you fill up the arena with away fans vs the rangers and flyers, Bc games against the likes of the Panthers and stars get UGLY. Don't see how that's even arguable.

Not sure your obsession with our attendance is. Again Randal, you are wrong. As a Devils season ticket holder, we've sold out games other than Rangers and Flyers the past few seasons..so the fact u say we NEED those fans to fill our building is silly.

So let me get this straight... A guy needs beer dumped on him because he's wearing a #2 jersey at the Meadowlands, yet you wear a Tampa shirt as a Devils fan to a bar for game 7 and you wonder why the guy is ticked? Are you listening to yourself? I'm extremely confused with your logic here because it sounds like you're the one being obnoxious. This thread by its very nature is obnoxious.

I have no beef with the Devils. Never did. When I first started following hockey as a young lad they were simply a mediocre expansion team a few years removed from KC and Colorado. Since that time they've had great success as a franchise so there is no reason for Devils fans to carry such a complex. Just enjoy your Cups and call it a day.

Not defending what Moose did (wearing a TB shirt as a Devils fan)...but u r assuming the guy who poured beer in him knew he was a Devils fan.

I've had my share of obnoxious Ranger fans as well..worse than many other fan bases I've dealt with. Doesn't mean everyone who roots for Rangers are bad. Hate when threads turn into arguments about the fans and not the teams.

You filled up the Rock after the Devils were already eliminated and fans sold their tickets knowing it would be a shit show with obnoxious Ranger fans?? Congrats. If I was on my laptop I would post the video from game 4 of the playoffs in 2006 when the Devils swept the Rangers. When Elias scored to seal the game, the Garden exploded with Devils fans. It's okay though, I understand the only solace you can take right now is talking about the attendance of a meaningless regular season game.

Reactions: BleedinRutgersRed
I think they have 1 maybe 2 more seasons to win it. Unfortunately for them, Lundquist is at the end of his prime as almost all goalies decline in their mid 30s.

I think u right with 1 or 2 more seasons..but that's of being elite.

I can see the Rangers making the playoffs far longer than that. Not sure of their salary cap situation..but the core is young, and they proved they can win this year even without Henry.

I think u right with 1 or 2 more seasons..but that's of being elite.

I can see the Rangers making the playoffs far longer than that. Not sure of their salary cap situation..but the core is young, and they proved they can win this year even without Henry.

Not speaking to next season because I have no idea what their roster will look like, but the Rangers were far from elite this year. The biggest predictor of postseason success is possession, and the Rangers were 20th in the league. That's indicative of a playoff bubble team, not a Cup contender. Stanley Cup champions are typically in the top 5 with a few exceptions (Boston was 14th the year Tim Thomas went crazy in the playoffs). Tampa was #3 in the league in possession, so they're truly the elite team. The Rangers are a good team because of Lundqvist, but they were far from elite this season.

Tampa will take the Cup this year. They're 4th in CF% (Corsi), 3rd in FF% (Fenwick), and 2nd in GF%. Those are elite numbers. The Rangers were 20th in CF%, 19th in FF%, and 3rd in GF%.

You filled up the Rock after the Devils were already eliminated and fans sold their tickets knowing it would be a shit show with obnoxious Ranger fans?? Congrats. If I was on my laptop I would post the video from game 4 of the playoffs in 2006 when the Devils swept the Rangers. When Elias scored to seal the game, the Garden exploded with Devils fans. It's okay though, I understand the only solace you can take right now is talking about the attendance of a meaningless regular season game.

I was at the 06 game. Far from exploding. I made the point in response to an obnoxious poster. I don't just bring this crap up randomly. It's just funny to me that this is a victory to Devils fans. Sad.

I was at the 06 game. Far from exploding. I made the point in response to an obnoxious poster. I don't just bring this crap up randomly. It's just funny to me that this is a victory to Devils fans. Sad.

Very sad. Devils fans itching to get back to playoffs. But always good to see your rivals lose..it's not just Devils. Other fan bases do this too.

As a Devil's fan, I actually respect the way this Rangers team was put together...no longer just signing every old, free agent, and building from within. This Ranger team scares me as a Devils fan.

At the same time, I was very happy to see the Lightning win last night. Just like the Ranger fans would gloat over poor Devil's attendance and parades in parking lots when the Devils were winning Cups and the Rangers weren't any good, it isn't unreasonable now that the Rangers are the better team that Devil fans wouldn't take some pleasure in having three Stanley Cups since the last Rangers Cup as something to gloat about. If the Rangers win it all, we lose that.

Reactions: BleedinRutgersRed

Anyway, was lucky enough to be at the game tonight at the Garden - 2nd straight game 7 I got to go to. It's good to have friends with tickets, one of whom was trying to make back some money on the tickets. Plase was electric to start, but it wasn't as wild as the Caps game 7, probably because this game was the worst game of the series, excitement-wise.

The first two periods were a tentative, overly-conservative snore-fest, with neither team sending more than 3 men into the offensive zone and usually only sending two down low - hard to play dump and chase and be effective without committing players occasionally. And then Henrik somehow let that backhander in through the 5-hole and the air just went out of the place.

For some reason, the Rangers just seemed flat and lethargic and never really mounted a strong challenge, even after the 2nd goal, which HL had no chance on. That one was on the backchecking winger, who simply failed to pursue Palat, letting him in alone on HL. Lundqvist made several amazing saves, though, earlier, so this one was not on him. The Rangers offense was simply anemic - I'm not sure Bishop had to make more than 2-3 moderately difficult saves and none of his saves were close to as good as at least 3-4 that Lundqvist made.

I feel badly for my friend, as she's such a die-hard Rangers fan. Oh well. Tampa was just better tonight. Hate seeing non-Original-6, non-snow cities having a chance to win the Cup - it's just not right. I'll be rooting for the Hawks tomorrow and against Tampa, if they can beat Anaheim.

Lundqvist is easily one of, if not the best goalies of the past decade. However his glove-high is average at best. The second goal was savable.

Lightning played an almost flawless defensive game. Kudos to them.

Would 'like' this post twice if I could.

Much LOVE to my Tampa Bay Lightening. Been to a few games and adore being able to walk out of the arena and see palm trees and warm temps.

I have no use for winter but if I did I would have stayed in Buffalo and rooted for the Sabres(OK,,no,,,I wouldnt do EITHER LOL)

GO BOLTS!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT