ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Real Estate Attorney Recommendation

RUevolution36

All American
Sep 18, 2006
Yes, another OT.

Does anyone have any recommendation for a good real estate attorney in the Princeton/South Brunswick area? My wife and I are planning on buying a new home and are looking to have a RE attorney on hand if and when the time comes.

Thank you all in advance for any advice you might have.

Law firm of Schztman and Baker in Princeton. Richard Schatzman is a Rutgers Alumnus. Very good at real estate and land use matters.

I would HIGHLY recommend Mark Busch. His law office is in North Brunswick. Most important, he is a great real estate attorney but also a Rutgers grad and RU sports fan.

Ian Hammett of Hartsough Kenny Chase & Sullivan, 609-588-9800

Small world, this website - Hammett was my closing attorney when he worked for a different firm over a decade ago in Pennington
My realtor actually highly recommended him as I had no prior candidates.
Flawless closing, as he handled certain contingencies and escrow issues most adeptly.
He seemed to know a lot of his adversaries and their, ahem, methodologies.

Last edited:
Save your money. I have bought and sold 5 homes in my 25 year marriage, 1 in New Brunswick, 2 in South Brunswick and 2 in Ocean City. The first 3 I used attornies, it wasn't until I moved to Ocean City that the realtors told me not to bother. Unless you have a complicated purchase/sale, there is no need. Down here the realtors did all the negotiating on terms of sale and it was done a lot quicker. Lawyers just slow down the whole process since they take forever to get back to each other and it becomes a power struggle. Real estate agents want the sale done quickly so things happen quicker.

I wind up working with a lot of real estate attorneys (and more importantly, whomever their assistants are) all over the state, but can speak for the recommendations of Busch and Busch in North Brunswick....people that would be happy to help you and nice RU friendly people as well. I would think South Brunswick/Monmouth Junction or Princeton areas are fine for someone like Busch and Busch to help with, just a few miles away off of Route 1 South.

I have their info if you want to email or give them a ring.....you can mention that you saw their referral request here, in case they don't have a chance to see it.....email me at gginn@myinvestorsbank.com or give me a call at 732-742-4367......I would like to be the person that helps with the financing or mortgage portion of the purchase your home as well. Always great to help buyers and people refinance from this board, made lots of new friends (and tailgating crews) because of it. (my advertisement is on the board as always).

Reactions: needmorecowbell
Sorry Hawk, but as a realtor, whom you know, I'm anti Busch. I like lawyers, who do the right thing.
Like Carl Gensib. No. Brunswick based. 732-247-2100.
If all you care about is using a RU lawyer, the Hendricks brothers, George & Pete, in New Brunswick are good as well. They have represented several RU interests in the past.
Reasonably priced as well.
BTW, I'm with ReMax Diamond Realtors in So. Brunswick.
Just post, if I can help.
RU alumn & season ticket holder.

Last edited:
Save your money. I have bought and sold 5 homes in my 25 year marriage, 1 in New Brunswick, 2 in South Brunswick and 2 in Ocean City. The first 3 I used attornies, it wasn't until I moved to Ocean City that the realtors told me not to bother. Unless you have a complicated purchase/sale, there is no need. Down here the realtors did all the negotiating on terms of sale and it was done a lot quicker. Lawyers just slow down the whole process since they take forever to get back to each other and it becomes a power struggle. Real estate agents want the sale done quickly so things happen quicker.

I have to laugh at the realtors telling you not to bother with a lawyer. Of course...why would they want to risk any lawyers messing up the closing? Just push it through and get the commission check. That advice is so insanely inappropriate its comical.

Realtors are not there to protect your interests, they are there to facilitate a deal. They will not tell you what you should have in your contract, and what you shouldn't. At the end of the day, they want to parties to agree on terms (any terms) so the deal closes and they get paid.

Sure, 95% of the time it won't matter-- but when it does matter, you will pay big time for not having a good contract. The purchase of a home is by far the largest purchase most people will make in their lives, and most will have no clue what is going on as they are going through the process. I always get a kick out of people who want to do it without a lawyer to save $1,000. Same goes for people who don't want to bother with a home inspection. Its a small price of insurance for something that can turn into a disaster.

The critical thing is for you to convey your goals to your attorney. They are working on a flat rate...no attorney is going to make more work by engaging in a "power struggle" that delays things unless the client wants it. The more letters go back and forth, the more money the attorney loses on the matter. Good lawyers will explain to you the stuff worth demanding, and the stuff that is okay to let go. No lawyer is going to fight for something if you tell them not to fight over that issue. If the contract is being held up because the other side won't agree to something, any decent lawyer will explain what the hold up is, so you can decide whether it is worth it or not.

Last edited:
Sorry Hawk, but as a realtor, whom you know, I'm anti Busch. I like lawyers, who do the right thing.
Like Carl Gensib. No. Brunswick based. 732-247-2100.
If all you care about is using a RU lawyer, the Hendricks brothers, George & Pete, in New Brunswick are good as well. They have represented several RU interests in the past.
Reasonably priced as well.
BTW, I'm with ReMax Diamond Realtors in So. Brunswick.
Just post, if I can help.
RU alumn & season ticket holder.
Do you have a personal issue with him? It seems very unprofessional to call out a highly regarded lawyer who many people have terrific experiences with and a friend of RU.

Sorry Jerzee but I disagree with you on the Busch firm. I have been practicing real estate law in Middlesex County for over 15 years. I have had numerous transactions with them and never had an issue. I typically keep out of these threads because I read the boards for enjoyment - not work. I also agree with Cowbell - there's no need to disparage a firm in that manner.
I will agree that the Hendricks brothers (and their partner Patricia Love) do a good job.

I have to laugh at the realtors telling you not to bother with a lawyer. Of course...why would they want to risk any lawyers messing up the closing? Just push it through and get the commission check. That advice is so insanely inappropriate its comical.

Realtors are not there to protect your interests, they are there to facilitate a deal. They will not tell you what you should have in your contract, and what you shouldn't. At the end of the day, they want to parties to agree on terms (any terms) so the deal closes and they get paid.

Sure, 95% of the time it won't matter-- but when it does matter, you will pay big time for not having a good contract. The purchase of a home is by far the largest purchase most people will make in their lives, and most will have no clue what is going on as they are going through the process. I always get a kick out of people who want to do it without a lawyer to save $1,000. Same goes for people who don't want to bother with a home inspection. Its a small price of insurance for something that can turn into a disaster.

The critical thing is for you to convey your goals to your attorney. They are working on a flat rate...no attorney is going to make more work by engaging in a "power struggle" that delays things unless the client wants it. The more letters go back and forth, the more money the attorney loses on the matter. Good lawyers will explain to you the stuff worth demanding, and the stuff that is okay to let go. No lawyer is going to fight for something if you tell them not to fight over that issue. If the contract is being held up because the other side won't agree to something, any decent lawyer will explain what the hold up is, so you can decide whether it is worth it or not.

Which is why I said "unless you have a complicated sale or purchase"

Which is why I said "unless you have a complicated sale or purchase"

No. Regardless of whether you have a complicated sale or purchase. The bottom line: 95% of the time you are right and a realtor contract is fine. But there are a few major issues with a realtor contract that nearly every attorney will change. If you get caught in one of those, you could have a major issue on your hands. The $1000 to the lawyer is cheap insurance.

Plus, an attorney will typically urge you to do things the right way. Realtors will often tell you you don't need a home inspection or a UST inspection. The notion that they "represent you" is a joke. They just want you to close. When I bought my home (an 1850 farm house that was only partially renovated), the realtor told me "I don't think you should waste the money on a home inspection -- you seem like a pretty handy guy." He followed that up with "if you really think you need one, don't spend that money they charge...I have a guy who will do it for $150." I laughed right in his face and told him he was out of his mind.

My Real Estate Attorney is located in Highland Park and resides in South Brunswick. Been in business for 20 plus years and is a Rutgers Alum and STH for BB and FB.

Steve Boda
732-985-4450

Tell him Lou referred you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT