ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rediscovered Lou Gehrig Radio Interview from 1939

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
Lou Gehrig retired from the Yankees on April 30, 1939. While he was being treated for his disease that August at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, radio station KROC did a seven minute interview with him.

Everyone knows his voice from his famous speech heard reverberating around Yankee Stadium. But this interview (captured on vinyl recording) reveals a voice and presence that would have made a good sports broadcaster. It's an interesting listen. Gehrig, by the way, was asked who the greatest ballplayers of all time were. His answers: Ruth, Cobb and Honus Wagner.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25258685/listen-lou-gehrigs-1939-radio-interview

Lou Gehrig retired from the Yankees on April 30, 1939. While he was being treated for his disease that August at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, radio station KROC did a seven minute interview with him.

Everyone knows his voice from his famous speech heard reverberating around Yankee Stadium. But this interview (captured on vinyl recording) reveals a voice and presence that would have made a good sports broadcaster. It's an interesting listen. Gehrig, by the way, was asked who the greatest ballplayers of all time were. His answers: Ruth, Cobb and Honus Wagner.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25258685/listen-lou-gehrigs-1939-radio-interview
Thanks for this. Great Listen.

Lou on there being a Union in Baseball: (paraphrasing)

I don't see it could possibly work, you would be putting the ballplayer who loafs in with the one who hustles and has great ability.

I think Lou was thinking a union would make salaries similar, and he wanted the better ball players to make more. As it should be.

Well lou, you have a union, and the better ball players make $25 million a year+ You got your wish!!!!

Thanks for passing this on, it was a great interview. I loved his comments on the idea of how a baseball union would destroy the game. JPhoboken, what I got from his comments was that a union would make the "average" and "underaverage" ball player make far more than they deserve. He was right...

Thanks for passing this on, it was a great interview. I loved his comments on the idea of how a baseball union would destroy the game. JPhoboken, what I got from his comments was that a union would make the "average" and "underaverage" ball player make far more than they deserve. He was right...

I agree, I think Lou really didn't like players who didn't hustle and didn't get the most out of their abilities, and like you say, shouldn't be rewarded for that.

Like the first comment 'Back in my day, men were men. Young guys these days are soft.' Some things never change.

Lou on there being a Union in Baseball: (paraphrasing)

I don't see it could possibly work, you would be putting the ballplayer who loafs in with the one who hustles and has great ability.

I think Lou was thinking a union would make salaries similar, and he wanted the better ball players to make more. As it should be.

Actually, he was way ahead of the game in regards to guarantee contracts in MLB, NBA, etc...as some players do "loaf" and in some cases, owners are stuck telling those cancers who guaranteed deals to stay away from their bench/dugout, all while said players collect tens of millions of $$$$.

For a player like Lou who showed up every single day to give his best...its probably best he is not alive to see what some athletes are doing today.

Reactions: jerzey devil
ADVERTISEMENT