ADVERTISEMENT

OT: rentals in Hoboken or Manhattan?

If she is willing to pay a broker fee (they usually start at 12%-15% of annual rent, but will settle for one month), she won't have any trouble finding a place.

A coworker of mine is leaving to go work in Manhattan. She is new to the area so knows no one. Any realtors out there who could assist her in finding a place in Hoboken or NYC?

I'm a broker in Manhattan. Send me a DM I can see if I have anything that will work for her.

If she is willing to pay a broker fee (they usually start at 12%-15% of annual rent, but will settle for one month), she won't have any trouble finding a place.

That's a little bit of a misconception because the type of broker you are referring to takes up the majority of ad space.

That's a little bit of a misconception because the type of broker you are referring to takes up the majority of ad space.
Lived in Manhattan for 8 years so I know the game. I also never paid a broker fee on any apartment because I was willing to work my ass off to save thousands of dollars. There are plenty of people who would pay the fee to make the process easier, and that's why I said if she is willing to pay it, she won't have trouble finding a place.

Lived in Manhattan for 8 years so I know the game. I also never paid a broker fee on any apartment because I was willing to work my ass off to save thousands of dollars. There are plenty of people who would pay the fee to make the process easier, and that's why I said if she is willing to pay it, she won't have trouble finding a place.

You are correct. The amount you pay is for the value you put on the service. With the internet you can find your way into a good portion of the rental buildings in Manhattan without paying a fee. With that said management's are pretty loyal to brokers and most likely any apartment you found on your own were only there because there weren't any professionals that saw any value. Like it or not a broker will always get access to the listing before it hits the open market.

If you do the math you might see that the amount you saved in a fee would have been negated by the rent you could have saved in 8 years.

Don't pay a broker. Use Craigslist (its going to be the worst week of your life) but you'll save 5K

You are correct. The amount you pay is for the value you put on the service. With the internet you can find your way into a good portion of the rental buildings in Manhattan without paying a fee. With that said management's are pretty loyal to brokers and most likely any apartment you found on your own were only there because there weren't any professionals that saw any value. Like it or not a broker will always get access to the listing before it hits the open market.

If you do the math you might see that the amount you saved in a fee would have been negated by the rent you could have saved in 8 years.
So what was the misconception you were referring to? This is pretty much everyone's expectations of brokers in NYC.

And I had three apartments in those 8 years, which is probably on the low end compared to the average person. My recommendation would be not to try to sell an 8 year time frame for a positive ROI to potential clients.

I live in Manhattan, and everything you said is crap.

I rent 2 apartments in Manhattan. One is in the financial district and it was easy to find a no fee apartment that met my needs. The Upper West Side was a different story. I tried Craig's list and streeteasy. Many were bait and switch. Used a broker and found a beautiful studio apt near Lincoln center at a price that was at market level. Brokers have most of the good listings on the UWS. So to answer the OP I would say it depends on what you are looking for and where.

To answer your question directly, try James Mets (can find his # if need-be).

I moved to the city nearly 2 years ago, and paid a decent broker fee while doing so. However, I found the perfect bachelor apartment, (relatively) cheap for a roomy city studio and mere blocks from work on the lively Upper East Side at the time (still an easy 25 minute commute to midtown now). I'm considering staying in it for a third year, and the rent is again going up by only 1%. In my case paying the fee was financially worthwhile, but I'd be hesitant to do so again.

As for Hoboken, a good friend lives there and pays significantly more than I do for a roomy 1-bedroom. Unless you work walking distance from any of the PATH train stops in Manhattan or NJ, living there isn't worth it IMO.

As for Hoboken, a good friend lives there and pays significantly more than I do for a roomy 1-bedroom. Unless you work walking distance from any of the PATH train stops in Manhattan or NJ, living there isn't worth it IMO.
I now live in uptown Hoboken after 8 years on the UES. People forget about the bus...it's about 12 minutes into Port Authority during rush hour. It's a great place to live for the late 20s/early 30s/just starting families crowd with a little more money in their pockets and not looking to be near all the downtown bars by the PATH.

ADVERTISEMENT