ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Toby Keith

Damn, been battling stomach cancer for a couple of years. RIP.

My wife and I have enjoyed his concerts 3 times. A great American Patriot. RIP Toby. At PNC he would bring up Military wives to standing ovations. Still get chills just thinking about it. He so loved this country and our veterans. Even in one song he talks about his Dad a veteran losing an eye in combat.

I'm not totally surprised by that as there is so much collaboration among country artists. Artists move to Nashville just to write hits for other artists. A guy I went to HS with had his own success in rock and later in his own Christian rock band, but now is there writing for others.

Last edited:
I'm not totally surprised by that as there is so much collaboration among country artists. Artists move to Nashville just to write hits for other artists. I guy I went to HS with had his own success in rock and later in his own Christian rock band, but now is there writing for others.
Nashville is a great melting pot for rock, country, Americana and even harder rock musicians. There is quite a bit of song-writing done by smaller, less successful artists for larger, more successful artists. John Eddie, who achieved a moderate amount of fame and success in the mid-late 1980s has written several songs that were picked up and recorded by Kid Rock.

Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora wrote songs for Cher, Meat Loaf, Stevie Nicks and Alice Cooper.

Reactions: RUPete
Nashville is a great melting pot for rock, country, Americana and even harder rock musicians. There is quite a bit of song-writing done by smaller, less successful artists for larger, more successful artists. John Eddie, who achieved a moderate amount of fame and success in the mid-late 1980s has written several songs that were picked up and recorded by Kid Rock.

Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora wrote songs for Cher, Meat Loaf, Stevie Nicks and Alice Cooper.

The bon jovi song he wrote for Stevie was a stinker called Sometime Its a Bitch for her Greatest hits back in 91 while she was high or low (a better word) on Klonopin

Reactions: Knight Shift
The bon jovi song he wrote for Stevie was a stinker called Sometime Its a Bitch for her Greatest hits back in 91 while she was high or low (a better word) on Klonopin
I had a family member who lived in Nashville quite a while who was trying to get some songs picked up and get into writing circles with others. Never materialized into any hits, but it was fun.

Reactions: bac2therac
I'm not a country music fan and know next to nothing about this guy and his work.
But Stephen Colbert tonight spoke of his friendship with Keith and what a special guy he was.

Reactions: MADHAT1 and gmay8

That article should be sub-titled “You won’t recall nine of the songs but the Cher song might ring a bell”.

• Haha

I know a 30ish professional guitarist (post rock stuff) from Scotland who went to Nashville to check out the scene. He was actually deflated a bit to see how good the musicians in Nashville were. I didn't doubt him but a little Kacey Musgraves is about as Country as I can go

Yesterday The Paul Finebaum Show did a super job with a segment titled Remembering Toby Keith. Keith was a huge Oklahoma Sooners fan.

Hate to say this, heard the name, never heard him sing. I understand he was a great country and western singer and I’m sorry for everyone’s loss .

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
We saw Toby 3 times at PNC over the last 10 years. He was always big on giving back to the military, calling military families on stage during every concert I saw him. In fact I've been to maybe 25 different country artist concerts around the country and everyone of them, male/female were big on conservative values.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT