ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Savings in IRA vs 529

RUSK97

Heisman Winner
Dec 28, 2007
CNJ
Anybody know if you can draw from an IRA for your kid's college education without penalty? Any thoughts as to one or the other?

I'm 90% sure you can however, everything I've read for funding a college education suggests the 529 plan is pretty unbeatable. I'm not a financial planner but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Anybody know if you can draw from an IRA for your kid's college education without penalty? Any thoughts as to one or the other?
Yes there is not the 10% penalty, however that the money is considered income in financial aid calculations where as a 529 plan is not. Also the standard income tax rules still apply. I highly suggest sitting down with a financial planner to discuss options for funding college. With rates as low as they are now a better option may be a home equity loan which should have a much lower interest rate then what your IRA is making and that interest is tax deductible. If you starting to save for college for the future most recommend a 529 plan.

ADVERTISEMENT