ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Survey says: People hate New Jersey, like Pennsylvania

In terms of national perception as formed by television, shows/characters set in NJ include Jersey Shore/The Sopranos/Boardwalk Empire while shows set in Pennsylvania include The Office/The Goldbergs.

Jersey >> PA
NYC metro >> Philly metro
We have beaches...they have Amish country (we win)
We have Rutgers...they have State Penn (we win)

In summary...it's better EAST of the Delaware River...ta da!! We win! :cool2:[thumb2]

That's all I need to know about

Jersey >> PA
NYC metro >> Philly metro
We have beaches...they have Amish country (we win)
We have Rutgers...they have State Penn (we win)

In summary...it's better EAST of the Delaware River...ta da!! We win! :cool2:[thumb2]

That's all I need to know about

Short, sweet, and spot on. :>)

I work with people who live in PA. they do it because it's cheaper. Bigger houses for less and property taxes are less. They work in NJ because they make more money here so they deal with the commute.

NJ is a hectic place to live and not everyone can cut it.

Back in 1990-92, I lived in North Carolina and worked at a company that had lot of people from NC, SC, Tennesse, and went to school at placed like Clemson, UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech. A few of the guys from the South would mercilessly mock NJ as being crime ridden and full of toxic waste dumps. And this was before all of the lovely stereotypes from the TV shows of the last decade.

I work with people who live in PA. they do it because it's cheaper. Bigger houses for less and property taxes are less. They work in NJ because they make more money here so they deal with the commute.

NJ is a hectic place to live and not everyone can cut it.
+1

Like Rutgers, NJ is not everybody's cup of tea. I like tea.

The Second Amendment exists in PA, not in NJ.

So that explains why 10 gun-hoarding hermits living in man-forts in the PA Wilds don't like NJ; now how about offering up an explanation for all the other people that participated in the survey.

Honestly, the Jersey hate just goes to prove that people, by and large, are ignorant sheep. They heard a Jersey joke one time or met someone with an awful Jersey accent, which may not have even been a native Jersey accent, and decided to jump on the bandwagon. Meanwhile, the state remains more densely filled with people than any other and wealthier than almost any other.

The bigger story is that people like EVERY OTHER STATE except NJ. Kind of sad to see tiny, bright red NJ in a large sea of green.

Really, people think positively of places like Alabama, Mississippi and Kansas? Kentucky is used as a pejorative to make fun of other states.

IC3W3_zpscf7c2833.gif

Maybe all that dislike of NJ coming from outside its borders is nothing but envy.

RUScrew85 said:
The Second Amendment exists in PA, not in NJ.
So maybe that's why PA has a higher gun crime rate ( murder, robbery,etc) than NJ. And NJ has Camden and Newark to boot.
200_s.gif

Maybe having gun control in NJ might upset some people and states like Pennsylvania look like a place some people think are better than NJ , but the gun control they don't like ,might be making NJ a better place to live for others..

Income Rank: NJ 3rd, PA 23rd
Education: NJ 1st, PA 10th

We are within an hour's drive of the global headquarters of the Finance, Pharma, Fashion, Cosmetic, Advertising and Music industries. The second highest ranked metropolis for the tech industry, the entertainment industry and everything else under the sun.

If you want to move away from that, get away from the energy, intensity and passion that it takes to make it here, I get that. It's not for everyone.

Reactions: RutgersSam
RUScrew85, how could the gun shop down the road from you/up the road from me on 130 exist? In a state with no gun rights, surely it would have been shut down by now?

Back in 1990-92, I lived in North Carolina and worked at a company that had lot of people from NC, SC, Tennesse, and went to school at placed like Clemson, UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech. A few of the guys from the South would mercilessly mock NJ as being crime ridden and full of toxic waste dumps. And this was before all of the lovely stereotypes from the TV shows of the last decade.

I remember years ago when I first got out college and I started working and hung out guys in our early to mid 20's. A lot of them were from NY and would make fun of NJ saying it was dump, smelled bad etc. But the only parts of NJ they ever went to was the turnpike on the way to Baltimore and places south. I told them judging NJ by the turnpike was like me judging all of NYC from the cross Bronx express way on the way to a Yankee game. Lots of people don't realize just how nice NJ is once you get into the suburbs.

Reactions: RutgersSam
Maybe this is one of the reasons http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...People-hate-New-Jersey-like-Pennsylvania.html why so many talented and highly-recruited HS athletes from NJ choose to attend college out-of-state.

Hmm, I'll be sure to keep that in mind while thousands of tourists from NY, PA, and everywhere else are visiting my area. You don't think it's the high cost of living or the fact that we're the most densely populated state in the country, do you? "Hard-nosed attitude toward life?" NYC can be hard-nosed, even cutthroat so there's no way that anybody fresh out of college would want to move there, right? RIGHT?

PA is the hillbilly state of the Northeast--anywhere west of the gap---many one tooth wonders with pick up trucks

PA is the hillbilly state of the Northeast--anywhere west of the gap---many one tooth wonders with pick up trucks

Reactions: Abro1975
It all stems from jealousy. I've travelled and lived around the world with the military and in school. NJ is the best place I've ever been considering everything as a whole.. The best combo of personalities, food, geography, entertainment and of course, absolutely beautiful beaches. And being able to pilfer the best city in the world and then return to the best state in the US in the same day is pretty damn sweet. I, for one, love this state.

Said this for years now. NJ kids want out. So do lots of residents of NJ. NJ needs to spend money (if they ever have any) on changing the perception of the state to people who actually live here.

In terms of national perception as formed by television, shows/characters set in NJ include Jersey Shore/The Sopranos/Boardwalk Empire while shows set in Pennsylvania include The Office/The Goldbergs.
Believe this is the root cause. Project on TV enough and the public will believe. Too many sheep out there.

Born in Plainfield before the race riots. Moved to our Lavallette home years after. Loved it. Went to RU and had no chance buying a house in a beach town after graduation. Spent a few years in Somerset before moving to PA. 10 years Philly the rest Bucks County. Greatest County on the East Coast. PA is nicer than most parts if NJ but the NJ shore rocks

Well criminals have much fewer restrictions. Seem fair to you?

You never answered my question.

Is there, or is there not, a gun shop down the road from you on Route 130 in Hamilton? How could this be in a state with no Second Amendment rights?

Not true but you keep reading Bloomberg's propganda and support the denial of civil rights to honest citizens.
Crime Statistics > Firearms Death Rate per 100,000 (most recent) by state
# 1 District of Columbia: 31.2
# 2 Alaska: 20
# 3 Louisiana: 19.5
# 4 Wyoming: 18.8
# 5 Arizona: 18
= 6 Nevada: 17.3
= 6 Mississippi: 17.3
# 8 New Mexico: 16.6
# 9 Arkansas: 16.3
# 10 Alabama: 16.2
# 11 Tennessee: 15.4
# 12 West Virginia: 14.7
# 13 Montana: 14.5
# 14 South Carolina: 13.8
# 15 North Carolina: 13.6
# 16 Georgia: 13.4
= 17 Kentucky: 13.1
= 17 Oklahoma: 13.1
= 19 Missouri: 12.3
= 19 Idaho: 12.3

# 21 Indiana: 11.7
= 22 Colorado: 11.5
= 22 Maryland: 11.5
= 24 Florida: 11.1
= 24 Virginia: 11.1
# 26 Texas: 11
# 27 Michigan: 10.9
# 28 Oregon: 10.5
# 29 Pennsylvania: 9.9
# 30 California: 9.8
= 31 Illinois: 9.7
= 31 Kansas: 9.7
= 31 Utah: 9.7
# 34 Vermont: 9.6
= 35 Ohio: 9.3
= 35 Washington: 9.3
= 37 Delaware: 9.1
= 37 North Dakota: 9.1
= 39 Wisconsin: 8.1
= 39 Nebraska: 8.1
# 41 South Dakota: 7.9
# 42 Iowa: 6.7
# 43 Maine: 6.5
# 44 Minnesota: 6
# 45 New Hampshire: 5.8
= 46 Rhode Island: 5.1
= 46 New York: 5.1
# 48 New Jersey: 4.9
# 49 Connecticut: 4.3
# 50 Massachusetts: 3.1
# 51 Hawaii:2.8
http://www.statemaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-death-rate-per-100-000

http://www.50states.com/facts/new-jersey.htm#.VZcy8RvbJjk
Some interesting points...

New Jersey has the highest population density in the U.S. An average 1,030 people per sq. mi., which is 13 times the national average

North Jersey is the car theft capital of the world, with more cars stolen in Newark then any other city. Even the 2 largest cities, NYC and LA put together

New Jersey is a leading industrial state and is the largest chemical producing state in the nation.

New Jersey has 108 toxic waste dumps. Which is the most in any one state in the nation.

Born in Plainfield before the race riots. Moved to our Lavallette home years after. Loved it. Went to RU and had no chance buying a house in a beach town after graduation. Spent a few years in Somerset before moving to PA. 10 years Philly the rest Bucks County. Greatest County on the East Coast. PA is nicer than most parts if NJ but the NJ shore rocks

Born, raised and college in central & south Jersey... then lived in Philly and Bucks county...but an expert on North Jersey eateries and where the term "Taylor ham" is and is not used.
BS_Meter.jpg

NJ has the worst politicians in the nation, hands down, no contest. We have the two worst governors in the US, Chris Christie and George Norcross.

The bigger story is that people like EVERY OTHER STATE except NJ. Kind of sad to see tiny, bright red NJ in a large sea of green.

Really, people think positively of places like Alabama, Mississippi and Kansas? Kentucky is used as a pejorative to make fun of other states.
Agree I would never again visit and spend my money in Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina North Carolina, Florida and Oklahoma.

ADVERTISEMENT