ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Survey says: People hate New Jersey, like Pennsylvania

Agree I would never again visit and spend my money in Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina North Carolina, Florida and Oklahoma.

Wow, quite a list, lol.

I find Northern Arizona beautiful, but could live without the ass backwards culture and greater Phoenix area.

NC and FL I liked, but Texans are awful human beings and I don't have any desire whatsoever to visit those other southern states on your list.

It's a shame that this board doesn't consistently display pride in NJ and it's flagship University.

Many people consider Southern New Jersey essentially a suburb of Philadelphia. Two different worlds Northern and Southern Jersey. Just like Pennsylvania is so different West and East. West can be more like West Virginia. East is more typical MidAtlantic. Living around Philly Suburbs such as Montgomery and Bucks, you get to easily enjoy nice parts of Southern New Jersey / Central like Cape May, Strathmere beaches, Lambertville etc, and at the same time be near the PA Poconos, Philly, NYC, DC/Baltimore. Within 2 hours of quite a bit

One tooth wonders in upstate? So...thats what you think of Brian Leonard is it?.........I disagree but interesting that you think that....

I have live in upstate NY for 17 years and never met a single one-tooth wonder. The simple answer is that a lot of people are simply ignorant and tend to stereo-type. People up here think NJ is one big toxic waste dump with everyone either is like the characters from the NJ Shore or the Sopranos. People in NJ think Upstate NY is a 365-day a year frozen tundra with nothing to do and little to offer.

I love NJ and don't let anyone rank on it and I love the dozen or so times I'm in NJ every year nor would trade growing up in Northern NJ where I did for anything. But having commuted into NYC from Montville for 15 years while fun and exciting in my 20's and 30's started to take its toll in my 40's. As an old geezer I now like the slower lifestyle and less populated areas of the Hudson Valley.

Much depends on your age and whether you have a family and where you are in your career. I loved and will always love NJ but we are happy at this stage of our life to not to have to deal with all of the hassles that are the cost of living in NJ.

Christie is not helping the general opinion of NJ. Why would any gov of any state run for pres of US to improve his rep in his own state?

Jersey >> PA
NYC metro >> Philly metro
We have beaches...they have Amish country (we win)
We have Rutgers...they have State Penn (we win)

In summary...it's better EAST of the Delaware River...ta da!! We win! :cool2:[thumb2]

That's all I need to know about

- George Zoffinger moved from New Jersey to Pennsylvania.. if everything else was equal, this would have put Jersey over the top.

It's really sad that people around the country actually believed the characters on "Jersey Shore" were from NJ... and yet NY (where most were from) got off basically scot free

Christie definitely hurts the national public opinion of New Jersey. NJ would be better off if he just quietly retired.

In terms of national perception as formed by television, shows/characters set in NJ include Jersey Shore/The Sopranos/Boardwalk Empire while shows set in Pennsylvania include The Office/The Goldbergs.

Nice how you left out Amish Mafia, Joe & Kate Plus Eight, and the show about the midget farmers since they didn't fit your narrative.

This of you who drove out to the OSU/Detroit game know: Pennsylvania is basically Alabama. Nothing but backwoods rednecks country bumpkins mountain folk and Philadelphia in one corner, Pitt on the other side. Everything north of the raritan is an urban metropolis compared to out there. The culture is different, so priorities and what we see as makes someplace "better" is different.

It's really sad that people around the country actually believed the characters on "Jersey Shore" were from NJ... and yet NY (where most were from) got off basically scot free

The name of the show was Jersey Shore, so of course they thought that (even though it is not the case). Given the name of the show, that was a logical conclusion (although not correct). There was nothing "sad" about it.

This of you who drove out to the OSU/Detroit game know: Pennsylvania is basically Alabama. Nothing but backwoods rednecks country bumpkins mountain folk and Philadelphia in one corner, Pitt on the other side. Everything north of the raritan is an urban metropolis compared to out there. The culture is different, so priorities and what we see as makes someplace "better" is different.

Not really sure what your point is. Is being like Alabama supposed to be a bad thing and why? I live in NJ, but have traveled to almost every state, including significant time in Alabama ... lots of good people there, and the two major universities are beautiful.

Judging a whole state based on what you can see from the highway is not particularly effective. That is what people from NYC do when they denigrate NJ

Either because of personal or business trips, I have visited all 50 states. Hands down, to me, the ugliest State is Missouri. It's depressing.

You never answered my question.

Is there, or is there not, a gun shop down the road from you on Route 130 in Hamilton? How could this be in a state with no Second Amendment rights?

I'll answer your question with a Statement. NJ has unacceptably limited the 2nd Amendment rights of law-abiding, mentally stable citizens for the following reasons:

-In order to obtain a conceal carry permit (Unless in active-duty or retired law enforcement/armed services, you must submit specific reasons, threats to bodily harm, and/or justifications for doing so)
-the ability to reject a handgun permit for no other reason besides 'benefit to public welfare'
-Unnecessary classification of certain hunting or range hunting rifles as 'assault weapons'
-Constant attempts to limit 'large capacity magazines' (an unnecessary regulation, as reloading is easy enough to do with proper training

On a more general note, I love this state as much as any of us, but the political corruption, high taxation, and overregulation (to the point of stupidity) are legitimate issues. The nonsense stereotypes drawn from MTV's Jersey Shore, industries by Exits 12-15X on the Turnpike, and Real Housewives keep even more idiots from visiting New Jersey, which is fine with me.

Nice how you left out Amish Mafia, Joe & Kate Plus Eight, and the show about the midget farmers since they didn't fit your narrative.

Just went off of shows from the top of my head. Honestly, had never heard of Amish Mafia or.. midget farmers?... and didn't realize Joe and Kate Plus 8 was from PA. I had thought of "Breaking Amish", but that's really set in NY rather than PA, so left it out.

I have said this in the past. New Afro Americans students at psu used to be warned where not to go around state college. Pa is not an enlightened state

I have said this in the past. New Afro Americans students at psu used to be warned where not to go around state college. Pa is not an enlightened state

I remember talking to a white girl from Houston, Texas, I knew her sister, about a Penn State and thought everyone up there was racist. She was going out with a black guy and probably will hit with all the racist remarks. I guess they don't bother the football players because of their size.

Before Franklin, I considered Penn State a white football team like Boston College. Their offensive line was almost always white. Now, they changed.

Born in Plainfield before the race riots. Moved to our Lavallette home years after. Loved it. Went to RU and had no chance buying a house in a beach town after graduation. Spent a few years in Somerset before moving to PA. 10 years Philly the rest Bucks County. Greatest County on the East Coast. PA is nicer than most parts if NJ but the NJ shore rocks

Morris County NJ is one of the best places to live in the US.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/28/best-counties-america_n_5722930.html

I have had season tickets since 1982. I don't know what you are talking about because from what I remember attending pep rallys and such, half the team has been black since at least then. And for many years I remember quite a few black offensive linemen. I have never heard of color being an issue among athletes at Penn State. Now the women basketball coach was apparently prejudiced towards lesbians for years, thru rumors. But never an issue with racism among athletes.

"The name of the show was Jersey Shore, so of course they thought that (even though it is not the case). Given the name of the show, that was a logical conclusion (although not correct). There was nothing "sad" about it."

People from the Jersey Shore don't have those accents... so, as someone who lives here... yeah, it IS SAD

Either because of personal or business trips, I have visited all 50 states. Hands down, to me, the ugliest State is Missouri. It's depressing.

I've been to almost every state. A lot of northerners criticize the states in the deep south, but they all have many beautiful towns and things to see and cultural activities and scenic universities (and extreme poverty too). I would say the ugliest is Oklahoma based on what I have seen.

People that don't like NJ have never been to NJ. NJ has it all Beaches, Mountains for skiing, Farms, Camping etc.... in a small area. If you want to live Rural you can live Rural. If you want to live suburban you can live suburban if you want to live in the city you can do that as well. NJ is a great place to live minus the extremely high taxes and crooked politiciians

Christie definitely hurts the national public opinion of New Jersey. NJ would be better off if he just quietly retired.
If you read many of the posters on here and some of the comments from NJ residents in the APP you can see how they are always calling someone a name and are crass and sound low class and uncultured. They give NJ a bad name .

So maybe that's why PA has a higher gun crime rate ( murder, robbery,etc) than NJ. And NJ has Camden and Newark to boot.

Actually our large populations help us because you are talking about crime rates and not just crimes. Also, Philly is a cesspool of crime.

Our 2A rights are infringed in NJ no doubt, but its part of a larger govt that wants to control and tax everything. 2A rights are a litmus test, along with a few others issues. I cant wait to go after I have wrund every penny from this state I can and then can work remotely.

People that don't like NJ have never been to NJ. NJ has it all Beaches, Mountains for skiing, Farms, Camping etc.... in a small area. If you want to live Rural you can live Rural. If you want to live suburban you can live suburban if you want to live in the city you can do that as well. NJ is a great place to live minus the extremely high taxes and crooked politiciians

... or worse. They have only seen the Newark airport and the Parkway or Turnpike, and think they know everything about the state.

I am not from NJ, but I have been here for 20 years now. I complain like you guys do too, but I like it. Natural beauty is most important to me (mountains, lakes, rivers) and other states have more of that, but I like it here or I wouldn't stay. When I tell people I am from NJ, I sometimes get the craziest responses. One guy in Wyoming asked me if we still have any trees left in the state ... and he was not joking. He told me he had never been east of Mississippi river, and just didn't know.

Last edited:
Black athletes are of course welcomed at PSU. They use them. As for the run of the mill student beware if you are black. maybe it's changed in the last five years but my former Adm assistant who was active in blk psu sorority and associations on campus told horror stories. Diversity which is a virtue at Ru is not one at psu

I love NJ but we are taxed to death. We are one of the few states with an estate tax. We have the lowest estate tax exemption in the country at only $675,000. We have a ridiculous inheritance tax on top of an estate tax. Of course we also have a state income tax. And we have the highest property taxes in the nation. One of the major causes of our excessive taxation is the public employee unions with their ridiculous pensions and health benefits.

Reactions: NJBorn
stop blaming unions--yeah they are all to blame--dumb statement

I never understood the whole state pride thing. I was born and raised in NJ and I stayed here because I have lots of family and friends here. If people don't like NJ as much as PA, why should I give a crap?

Reactions: ElmiraExpress

NJ has a lot going for it, but things ski mountains are not among them.

NJ has a lot going for it, but things ski mountains are not among them.
While Mountain Creek itself is absolutely nothing to write home about, it's definitely convenient to easily take a day trip to, say, Hunter/Wyndham in upstate NY or weekend in the Vermont/New Hampshire ski areas from central NJ. Similar to being a (generally easy) bus/train ride from NYC. Our states ideal location is part of the charm..

But those aren't in NJ ...

As far as this discussion goes, they'd be reasons to like NY and VT.

"The name of the show was Jersey Shore, so of course they thought that (even though it is not the case). Given the name of the show, that was a logical conclusion (although not correct). There was nothing "sad" about it."

People from the Jersey Shore don't have those accents... so, as someone who lives here... yeah, it IS SAD

My son's 4th grade teacher was The Situation's mom. SHE doesn't talk like that! (Great teacher btw) They had a crappy spinoff show on TVGN where she was an actor on it, and had that stupid accent. We let our son watch one of the episodes and he felt like he was watching a completely different person.

ADVERTISEMENT