ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Thanks Dave!

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
Longest TV talk show host in history, even longer than Johnny Carson. I can't believe he's 68.

First watched David Letterman in his failed mid-morning show on NBC starting in 1980 but had first watched him hosting the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson on occasion starting in 1978. Since the audience was made up of a lot of soap opera fans, they didn't find his show worthy. Fortunately, younger minds were able to get the word to NBC execs that the show was great but the time slot was misplaced. So they brought it back after Johnny Carson in late, late night.

Those morning shows were a breath of fresh air for comedy --- Chris Elliott's head coming up from under an audience chair; bouncing off a trampoline in a suit of Velcro and sticking to the wall; being lowered into a tank of water in a suit of alka-seltzer tablets; dropping fruit off building tops and watching them explode like fireworks captured by the camera above; Bud Melman; elevator races, stupid pet tricks, etc. etc.

He really changed what America considered "cool" comedy. Thanks for all the laughs Dave and good luck!

Reactions: rutexan84
I liked him MUCH better in the 80s, and haven't watched him in a long time, but I'm watching his final show just to do it.

I liked him MUCH better in the 80s, and haven't watched him in a long time, but I'm watching his final show just to do it.
Similar here - watched him all the time in the 80s and only once in awhile since then - the show's not as consistently as funny, but it still has its moments. Always loved the top ten list and the goofy tricks and forays into the neighborhood, as well as his sardonic and often goofy wit. My friends used to always try to get me to go on the show for Stupid Human Tricks given an interesting talent I have (if you stop by our tailgate, I can demonstrate, lol).

Never heard that story - was pretty freakin' awesome of Conan to do that...

Jimmy Kimmel did the same thing. Gave a tearful tribute to Dave Tuesday night. I never knew the connection they had. He told his audience they were running a repeat last night and urged everyone to watch Letterman's final show.

I was glad to finally get a chance to see a taping a couple months back. Watched the show daily in the 80s and early 90s. Sort of got away from it in recent years, but kept coming back from time to time. Sad to see him go, but you can't go on forever. I'm amazed at how long he went AFTER the triple bypass.

I was glad to finally get a chance to see a taping a couple months back. Watched the show daily in the 80s and early 90s. Sort of got away from it in recent years, but kept coming back from time to time. Sad to see him go, but you can't go on forever. I'm amazed at how long he went AFTER the triple bypass.
--------

I was as big a fan as anyone when he started head to head with Leno.......I actually was in NY near the studio and he ran right past me when he did one of his bits on the street and that was a thrill for me.

Lost a lot of respect for him when he went political, soft balling the Obamas, and ripping mcCIain, o'Reilly etc....

He should have just stuck to comedy......

Aside from that, a great talent who will be missed

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Goodbye Dave. Hate to tell you buddy but my TV is shut off and I'm off to a good nights sleep at 11:30pm every night.
I can't remember when I watched even part of your show. Don't feel bad, I also didn't watch you competitors and will
not watch your replacement either. Enjoy your retirement.

--------

Lost a lot of respect for him when he went political, soft balling the Obamas, and ripping mcCIain, o'Reilly etc....

Agreed - his handling of McCain was the end of watching him for me.

Here's the Rolling Stone Magazine re-cap of the show if you missed it for whatever reasons. The show went to 1:00 a.m. and it was well done. Hard to squeeze 33 years in, but somehow, they came close AND kept it enjoyable.

And yes, Julia Louis Dreyfus with her Top 10 comment, combined with Jerry Seinfeld's mock reaction, was the best one liner of the night.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/feat...-lettermans-late-show-goodbye-20150521?page=2

--------

Aside from that, a great talent who will be missed

[thumb2]

ADVERTISEMENT