ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Thoughts on NYC Citibikes

ScarletStateofNJ

All Conference
Jul 6, 2011
i hate riding the subways during July August and was thinking about doing an annual Citibike membership. Only $150 for the year so much cheaper than subway. Anyone use Citibikes? Are the bikes in good shape? Are the docking stations easy to use?

Great question. I was intrigued because they have a rack of bikes at the 35th Street Ferry Landing and a bike lane going up 1st Ave. I did not see where they had other racks on my way to Sloan Kettering.

the bikes are not the problem
IT is the cars that get in the way and hit you! yes cheaper then the subway; IF U Have Insurance!!!

Reactions: Knight_Light
Always loved this idea but never actually tried it. I did use to love riding my bike in the city though. but as someone else said make sure you have your insurance in order-they don't have those white bikes with the flowers by them that always pop up for nothing.

Now I see the problem. No racks north of 60th Street at this time:
https://member.citibikenyc.com/map/

They are expanding in August, they say.

One possible downside is you are limited to 30 minute trips, and there is a charge for trips over 30 minutes. Rather than signing up for 1 year, why not try it out of for a day for $9.95 or a month for $25?

http://www.citibikenyc.com/pricing#casual

It's 45 minutes with an annual membership - it works great as long as it's within your route. I've had no problems with it and logged a bunch of miles

If you're using it for commuting and there are racks near your apt and office I've seen coworkers use it a lot. I just wish there would be a plan at some point where you can just sign out bikes for longer periods.

Wouldn't it be a better deal to just pick up a used bike? You can ride it for however long you want and park it wherever instead of at designated docking stations. I got a used mountain bike on Craiglist a couple months ago for $40, and then got my girlfriend one for $60. Sure beats $150 a year for something you can only park in certain spots and can only use for 30 minutes at a time. I guess if you're taking a train into the city or something though it might be difficult to bring a bike onto a crowded train.

Reactions: Knight_Light
It's 45 minutes for annual membership... It wouldn't be a better deal for me. I don't want to own in this case - leasing more convenient

As a regular commuter, I see some people riding them the wrong direction down the avenues, cutting against traffic, going against lights, and most of the riders have no helmets. I think both sides, cars and riders need to be more aware of the safety issues of each other as well as pedestrians.

That said, it is a fine concept, just heed everyone to think about safety.

the bikes are not the problem
IT is the cars that get in the way and hit you! yes cheaper then the subway; IF U Have Insurance!!!
NYC is one of the most bicycle friendly cities in the country. Philadelphia maybe the best.

As a regular commuter, I see some people riding them the wrong direction down the avenues, cutting against traffic, going against lights, and most of the riders have no helmets. I think both sides, cars and riders need to be more aware of the safety issues of each other as well as pedestrians.

That said, it is a fine concept, just heed everyone to think about safety.

I honestly don't know how someone can ride without a helmet in NYC and not be scared shitless. I did it once and was nervous the whole time. With that said they are all adults - if they don't want to wear a helmet that is their prerogative

Wouldn't it be a better deal to just pick up a used bike? You can ride it for however long you want and park it wherever instead of at designated docking stations. I got a used mountain bike on Craiglist a couple months ago for $40, and then got my girlfriend one for $60. Sure beats $150 a year for something you can only park in certain spots and can only use for 30 minutes at a time. I guess if you're taking a train into the city or something though it might be difficult to bring a bike onto a crowded train.
For those who live in the city they may not have space in their apt to store a bike. Plus if they ride to work their may not be a place to store the bike at work. For those who commute via mass transit to the city and sign up for this they don't need to lug their bike on mass transit.

It is a great concept but riding to work? My issue would be that I would get all sweaty in my nice work clothes and then smell of sweat in the office.

I assume your last line is about it. Not only would he need to worry about the bike on the train, but probably also the car to the train station. Also - who knows what the bike storage situation is at his office.

I assume your last line is about it. Not only would he need to worry about the bike on the train, but probably also the car to the train station. Also - who knows what the bike storage situation is at his office.
I thought about that too. I'd just keep a crappy bike chained up in the streets. But those tend to get wheels stolen or run over so it is a hassle.

You can get a 20" folding bike on Amazon for $169. You can get a bag for the folding bike for $19.
41W3xiC2hQL.jpg
41tLwzaEpfL.jpg

One concern with Citibike is that the hand grips will contain the sweat and whatever else of previous riders.

You can get a 20" folding bike on Amazon for $169. You can get a bag for the folding bike for $19.
41W3xiC2hQL.jpg
41tLwzaEpfL.jpg

One concern with Citibike is that the hand grips will contain the sweat and whatever else of previous riders.
So will the subway seat that you are taking your carry on bike on.

well, I don't know why people use the subway and buses when they have a bike with them, it is rather silly. Unless you are going really far, then leave the bike at home..

well, I don't know why people use the subway and buses when they have a bike with them, it is rather silly. Unless you are going really far, then leave the bike at home..
The subway doesnt go everywhere. Maybe they live near enough to a subway station that they could bike there.

The subway doesnt go everywhere. Maybe they live near enough to a subway station that they could bike there.

I am sure there is a reason. I see people attaching their bikes to buses to get off a few blocks away.

I don't get it, but ..whatever

they suck--and 80% of their riders disobey most traffic rules

People actually yell at me when I ride without a helmet.

I want to sign the petition to make runners wear helmets.

The first link has Philly #10 and NY #12. My only disagreement with that list is Washington DC. Both NYC and Philly are much better. The second one has DC too high as well and Philly 27th. That list is worthless.
I have never been to Minneapolis but have been to Portland. That place definitely loves their bikers. Bikes have the right of way over cars.

How can anyone find their bike in that mess?

When I exited the train station in Muenster, I was astounded. I have a couple of pictures on my mobile phone. Some of the bikes looked like they had been at the station for quite a while. A lot of cities in Europe are like this. Partly explains why they have lower obesity rates than we do in the US.

They just started up a bike share program in Philly this summer and it's been a big hit. Personally I don't think it's worth the cost if you use it as your regular form of transportation but I see a ton of people on them and bikes in general. If you're driving in Center city, South Philly, or Northern Liberties/Fishtown you better be ready to share the road. I'm surprised there aren't more accidents.

DING DING DING we have a winner!!1

As someone who has logged in about 2,000mi a years annually since the 1970s there is nothing better than your own bike. My commuter bike is a Dahon folder.....easy peasey....

41W3xiC2hQL.jpg
41tLwzaEpfL.jpg

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!!

I take my Dahon folder everywhere...even in Europe on vacation its a Eurail pass and my folder. Folds up small and I can set it up in about 4 minutes,,,,,I see 3x as much in a day than those who walk and sight see....

They are a perfect commuter bike !
FOLDERS ROCK!!!

ADVERTISEMENT