ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Top 5 worst movies you actually saw in a theater

Loved Starship Troopers and the roughnecks, I’m an enormous Sci-Fi fan.
The Thing 1951 Version and Alien 1979 are the two best ever.
Original War of the worlds and original Day the earth stood still were very good.
Eyes Wide Shut worst movie ever made

Amen. Starship Troopers is one of the best B-movie/sci-fi satire films of all time. I think some people just don’t get it. Masterfully crafted with that in mind, and so memorable. There’s a reason memes reference it so often, and has a cult following.

Eyes Wide Shut did in fact suck too

First one was pretty good with Cage’s role played by Edward Woodward. Christopher Lee and a very naked Britt Ekland were also in the original.
I’ll have to take your word for it. I hated the plot too much to ever watch any version of it again. The Cage one’s ending left me completely unhinged.

The movie was so unbelievably awful that I couldn’t stop watching. At first I was stunned by the bad acting across the board. Then I kept watching wondering if the awfulness was maybe intentional, like an artistic thing. But it just grew worse as it went. Then I just wanted to see if it ever got better, but the ending was the dumbest thing about the entire movie. I was actually cursing at the TV. 🤣

My daughter eventually watched it with her friends, to see just how bad it was. And she said they didn’t think it was good, but also didn’t think it was as awful as I described it. But it was truly awful.

Starship Troopers was cheesy fun, once I got over being annoyed at how wiped out they made the troopers compared to their abilities in the book.

Re: Blair Witch, it did little foe me but my wife grew up camping a lot and it really shook her up. If you can imagine finding yourself in that situation, I guess it could be scary. But the hand held camera annoyed me.

One of the worst for me was the Crying Game. Saturday afternoon, bored, decided to catch a matinee. I knew nothing about the movie other than hearing it got good reviews. Hated it.

Mamma Mia…how could I forget…weird for someone like Meryl Streep to be in one of these movies but this was suckage on a higher plane!🤮🤢

That movie was actually a good time.

I went with two friends. There was all this hype and we expected to be truly spooked.

instead all three of us found it so incredibly unscary and stupid that we spent the entire movie laughing like maniacs.

Totally laughing our asses off .Like DeNiro in Cape Fear level laughing.

we weren’t trying to be rude. We really weren’t. It just must have hit a funny bone in each of us and we couldn’t stop.

the movie was just sooo damn stupid.

When she puts the camera to her face and said “I’m so scared” all 3 of us instantly howled.

That was a good time!
I’m with you on that one. I remember I got some flack because I “didn’t get what they were trying to do” but I did, and it was a cool, fun concept, they just didn’t pull it off, in my opinion

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Loved Starship Troopers and the roughnecks, I’m an enormous Sci-Fi fan.
The Thing 1951 Version and Alien 1979 are the two best ever.
Original War of the worlds and original Day the earth stood still were very good.
Eyes Wide Shut worst movie ever made
I was at at House party when Alien was in the theatres. This supposed big scifi fan was also there and said it was terrible...... I would bet he was one of the people who walked out during the birthing scene early on, good not take the shock, and missed the rest

Anyway I did not get into a debate about it, the movie and its first sequel are rated four stars and considered as one of the best sci if movies ever

You need to be at least a high school graduate level to appreciate the great movies Meryl Streep plays in. She is one of the biggest stars ever, so she can afford to be selective.
I get what you're saying, but disagree with your use of academic achievement as the criteria.

You can have two different people, both possessing PhDs in Physics from MIT, plus an MBA from Harvard, and they will disagree about what sort of entertainment they like. And I'm pretty sure people who never graduated grade school can appreciate Streep's movies.

I meet your academic criteria. But my emotional age hovers around 13 (on a good day). I tend to like escapist entertainment as opposed to "entertainment" that seeks realism and true-to-life plot-lines. I find those boring because I already live a true-to-life plot line and have realism in real life.

So I prefer meaningless action, sci-fi, comedy type movies with plenty of gratuitous sex and violence. If they have great acting by great actors, with great plot-lines, that's all just icing on the cake. I often dislike movies that are universally well-reviewed, or movies that win lots of awards.

While I recognize Streep's talent, I tend to shy away from most of the movies Streep was in due to the my aforementioned personal preferences and my youthful approach to entertainment.

Yes, I am an uncultured lout.

I was at at House party when Alien was in the theatres. This supposed big scifi fan was also there and said it was terrible...... I would bet he was one of the people who walked out during the birthing scene early on, good not take the shock, and missed the rest

Anyway I did not get into a debate about it, the movie and its first sequel are rated four stars and considered as one of the best sci if movies ever
Sigourney was a hottie tough woman who was protecting a child. What's not to love?

I get what you're saying, but disagree with your use of academic achievement as the criteria.

You can have two different people, both possessing PhDs in Physics from MIT, plus an MBA from Harvard, and they will disagree about what sort of entertainment they like. And I'm pretty sure people who never graduated grade school can appreciate Streep's movies.

I meet your academic criteria. But my emotional age hovers around 13 (on a good day). I tend to like escapist entertainment as opposed to "entertainment" that seeks realism and true-to-life plot-lines. I find those boring because I already live a true-to-life plot line and have realism in real life.

So I prefer meaningless action, sci-fi, comedy type movies with plenty of gratuitous sex and violence. If they have great acting by great actors, with great plot-lines, that's all just icing on the cake. I often dislike movies that are universally well-reviewed, or movies that win lots of awards.

While I recognize Streep's talent, I tend to shy away from most of the movies Streep was in due to the my aforementioned personal preferences and my youthful approach to entertainment.

Yes, I am an uncultured lout.

That's too bad because if you are able to expand your scope you may end up experiencing experiencing some pretty good entertainment or iconic movies. Examples for Streep:
  • Sophie's Choice
  • Devil Wears Prada
  • Kramer v Kramer
  • Julie & Julia
  • The Deer Hunter
Note - I'm coming from a different perspective and probably biased as I tend to enjoy all movie genres.

Solarbabies -- 1986 walked out with my GF after 15 min. We found better things to do with our 2 hours.
Dumbo -2019 -- Such a creepy and boring movie. How did they screw it up so bad?

Lots of other good candidates in this thread, but I wanted to throw out a couple of new ones.

That's too bad because if you are able to expand your scope you may end up experiencing experiencing some pretty good entertainment or iconic movies. Examples for Streep:
  • Sophie's Choice
  • Devil Wears Prada
  • Kramer v Kramer
  • Julie & Julia
  • The Deer Hunter
Note - I'm coming from a different perspective and probably biased as I tend to enjoy all movie genres.
I saw some of those (e.g. Kramer v Kramer) and while I didn't hate them, I didn't much like them either.

With only so much time dedicated to entertainment, and such a vast universe of entertainment options, especially nowadays, I prioritize stuff I'm more likely to enjoy than stuff I *might* enjoy, but historically don't. I can expand my scope, I suppose. But I cannot expand the time I have left in life.

For instance, I don't watch horror movies. Mostly because they are usually predicated on the people being maimed and killed behaving so stupidly as to be irritating. "Hey, everybody in our group that wanders off alone gets killed. So let's split up and investigate." Aaaaaaaaah! 😡

Also not a fan of serious and/or depressing movies. I watch some, now and then but usually wind up wishing I didn't. For example, my ex-GF wanted to watch the remake of "A Star is Born" when it came out on streaming services. I have a ton of streaming services, she does not.

So she came over and I bought it on Vudu (usually stuff is offered only for sale at first, and you have to wait a bit to rent). She liked it (as did my youngest son, go figure). Me? I totally hated it and really wish Vudu offered a way to delete it from my list of purchased movies.

Solarbabies -- 1986 walked out with my GF after 15 min. We found better things to do with our 2 hours.
Dumbo -2019 -- Such a creepy and boring movie. How did they screw it up so bad?

Lots of other good candidates in this thread, but I wanted to throw out a couple of new ones.
Never saw that. Only movie I recall where I walked out of a theatre in the middle of the movie was Superman 3. Or, if not 3, then one of the original Superman movies.

My wife got through the first half hour, I think. But then looked at each other, got up and left. It was painfully bad.

I'd watch that awful Superman movie three dozen times with my eyelids taped open (Clockwork Orange style), though, before I'd ever watch "Wicker Man" again.

Reactions: m1ipabrams
Joe vs the Volcano
The English Patient
The Cheap Detective
Eyes Wide Shut
Vanilla Sky

I tend to find the good in movies and always give them a chance to the end....however...only movie I ever walked out on was Shallow Hal. Probably had a bit left but I just couldn't take anymore and bolted. As funny as the people in it were thought it was just bad.

I've seen plenty back in the 70s.
The ones that stand out in my mind:

Tidal Wave - This was in the midst of the disaster film craze. The ads said that it starred Lorne Greene who actually appeared in about five minutes of the movie. It was a Japanese movie with Godzilla/Mothra quality toy city special effects.
Bobby Deerfield - Immediately after Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon and Godfather II, Al Pacino made this snoozer about an American Formula 1 race car driver in Europe. Have almost no recollection of the story at all.
Sorcerer - Same thing here for Roy Scheider as he made this bomb about a group of guys driving a truck full of nitro through the Amazon right after Jaws and Marathon Man. It was so bad I don't remember if they made it.
The lure of the movie is that parts of it were filmed in my neighborhood in Elizabeth and my girlfriends car was in one of the shots (that beautiful 1972 Dodge Charger!!).
Aloha Bobby & Rose - Have zero recollection of the plot or who was in it. It just sticks in my memory because Elton John's Tiny Dancer was played almost continuosly throughout the movie.
The Trial of Billy Jack - Absolutly abysmal sequel to a movie I really liked. Real social activist fodder where Billy alludes to that he might have been at the My Lai massacre. Terrible movie. It did wise me up though as I skipped Billy Jack Goes to Washington even when it hit the $1.00 theaters.
Hey, I'll put my right foot on your left ear.
8e08c09f58efbcc49620d66523f82ee0--for-president-jack-oconnell.jpg

Reactions: colbert17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT