ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Transmission Flushing

CERU00

All Conference
Feb 10, 2005
Figure we have a bunch of car guys on here who may be able to chime in... Any opinions about benefits of transmission flushing? Had this done on my wife's Chevy Uplander at 100,000 miles and within 5000 miles we noticed that the transmission hesitates for a few minutes when trying to shift but only when its cold. When its warmed up the transmission responds perfectly normal. Fluid level is dead on. Maybe its just a coincidence but I can't help but think some junk was stirred up and left in the transmission during the flush..
This post was edited on 3/9 12:38 PM by CERU00

Flushing of your automatic transmission should never have to be done period. Did you have your transmission serviced regularly? If not here is what happens when you have your transmission flushed. When your tranny fluid gets old it turns into a varnish like substance and will fill in cracks in parts of your system and kind of hold it together. But when new fluid is introduced it is high in detergent and cleans the cracks and the varnish holding it together. At this point your tranny will start to become sloppy. When you car has high mileage its best to re use your used fluid when replacing the filters. only ad as needed with new fluid!

I was told that I needed to have all fluids flushed ( including trans) changed on a 2005 Chrysler Sebring that has only 50,000
miles on it. I thought flushing the radiator was about the only thing that usually needs to be done and with only 50,000 miles
other fluid flushes not needed.
Seems the mechanic I take car to recommended something not needed in the name of preventive maintenance.
Cost not cheap for what he recommended, but the auto place he's partners in has a great reputation for quality service.
Do you car buffs think I should look for another place, or recommend I change fluids for preventive maintenance
( with or without trans flush?).

I have my transmission fluid, filter and gasket changed about every 25/30k miles. I do not do this myself. Never heard of not doing it. Even the manual says to change it although I forget the interval they recommend. Might be 100k. I also have my radiator and block flushed and refilled about every 2 years. I'm sure some will say that's not necessary either.

Originally posted by 63valiant:

Flushing of your automatic transmission should never have to be done period. Did you have your transmission serviced regularly? If not here is what happens when you have your transmission flushed. When your tranny fluid gets old it turns into a varnish like substance and will fill in cracks in parts of your system and kind of hold it together. But when new fluid is introduced it is high in detergent and cleans the cracks and the varnish holding it together. At this point your tranny will start to become sloppy. When you car has high mileage its best to re use your used fluid when replacing the filters. only ad as needed with new fluid!
I have also heard a variation of this. If you have not had your transmission flushed before it hits 75,000 miles, you can do more harm than good if you flush it afterwards.

Very well respected transmission shop told me drain and fill only. They recommend around every 30k.

It probably does have something to do with the flush. My father is a transmission mechanic and on his recommendation I have NEVER changed my transmission fluid in my truck with over 100k miles on it. As long as the color is still good looking (usually cherry red), he would tell you to leave it alone.

Originally posted by 63valiant:

When your tranny fluid gets old it turns into a varnish like substance and will fill in cracks in parts of your system and kind of hold it together. But when new fluid is introduced it is high in detergent and cleans the cracks and the varnish holding it together. At this point your tranny will start to become sloppy.
Nothing worse than when my tranny's fluid gets old and turns into a varnish like substance - I just hate it when s/he gets sloppy and I need to fill in the cracks to hold it together...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT