ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Update 7/9 re: my niece's accident and her progress

CranfordKnight

All Conference
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2006
Here is an update on Emily as of this morning, 7/9:

Emily’s left hand is almost completely healed except for a small spot along the back and now has almost full mobility. Her fingers on her right hand are now also exposed, and she is working towards making a fist, although for the time being it is still very painful. The doctors hope they can remove all of the facial and neck bandages within the upcoming week, as this is the baseline for discharging her from the hospital.

Although progress has been made, the doctors are still concerned for her thighs and legs, which are healing slowly. Fingers are crossed in the hopes that she will be able to avoid surgery, although it is a process that will take time to tell. Emily has asked to delay graft surgeries until later in the year, if possible, so that she can work on starting college in the fall.

Last edited:
Donated. I go to that bagel shop a couple of times a month. Hopefully that pretty girl can recover without much scarring.

Reactions: CranfordKnight
Donated. I go to that bagel shop a couple of times a month. Hopefully that pretty girl can recover without much scarring.

Thank you so much. We were told yesterday that the facial burns were healing much better than originally expected, so there is a possibility that she may not need skin grafts on her face. She was able to open her eyes and swallow for the first time today, so every day gets a little more encouraging.

Reactions: UconNell
My niece had a much different but equally serious sudden health crisis a few years ago when she was 17. My sister and her husband found themselves in very similar situations you describe. We organized a fundraising auction with everyone we know gathering gift baskets to be auctioned off. You'd be surprised the kind of connections you probably have plus the generosity of local sports teams, etc if you just ask. It was a really great event that raised about $25k for the family. Might be worth a thought for your family.

Best wishes to your niece.

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone. My family truly does appreciate all the well wishes and donations we are getting. It's amazing the generosity we are seeing from everyone with even the smallest connection to Emily. I can tell you it helps my family get through these long days.

Bumping this. The response has been overwhelming in just a couple of days. Emily is able to walk today for the first time and will get solid food for the first time later today. She did have a couple of scares yesterday when her heart stopped momentarily, and some fever has set it. But she's talking and actually smiled for the first time since this happened.

Thanks to those who have donated. It truly shows what a great community we have here.

http://www.youcaring.com/emily-roth-376106#.VYco02Ec_jA.facebook

Hey,

We sent some in. Prayers to Emily, your sister, Joe and the family. Let us know if there is anything else we can do. Will give you a buzz today.

Thanks again everyone. Today was a bittersweet day as Emily received her diploma in absentia from Morris Knolls HS, along with the Summa Award for Mathematics and the President's Award for Academic Achievement. She's truly an amazing young lady, and it absolutely sucks that she is going through this. Please continue to keep her in your thoughts and prayers. She has been reading all the messages and it's so helpful to see the kindness and generosity of not only her friends and family, but also so many who've never had the pleasure of meeting her.

Best wishes for Emily and your family. I hope she recovers soon and can go to college in the fall. A terrible accident, but the outpouring is impressive and I hope it helps the healing process.

A group of Emily Roth's classmates also plans to host a car wash as a fundraiser on Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon at Advance Auto Parts on Route 46 in Rockaway, with all proceeds going towards the injured teen.

A group of Emily Roth's classmates also plans to host a car wash as a fundraiser on Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon at Advance Auto Parts on Route 46 in Rockaway, with all proceeds going towards the injured teen.

The response from her friends and classmates has been amazing. In addition to the fundraising site, and this car wash, they have also been collecting and delivering gift cards, food, etc. to the house. Since my sister and brother-in-law want to be at the hospital 24/7 (it's very difficult for Emily to sleep since she is not allowed to lay down), and they have another daughter and severely autistic son, these small conveniences really help take away some of the burdens of everyday life.

Last evening, Cyndi Lauper called and had a good cry with my sister. Emily is a huge fan, and although she was unable to speak with her when she called, my sister shared her words and she was thrilled. My brother-in-law has a local band, and knows a bunch of musicians, one of which is a session drummer for Cyndi and arranged for her to call.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
For those who may be following this, my sister Michelle is being interviewed as we speak by a local Fox News reporter for a TV segment set to air sometime today. I'll update when I know more about the time/channel.

I just talked to my sister, and it will air during the 10 pm hour on Chasing News, which is the old My9 News on Channel 9 in North Jersey. Apparently they were just acquired by Fox and on Monday the story will run on Fox 5 at some point, also.

Cranford, any update ?

Earlier this week, Emily's condition was upgraded to good and she was stepped down to the general burn unit. Her spirits are much improved as all her friends can now visit and she can even take walks outside when she feels up to it. But her family is still by her side 24/7 and are still in wait-and-see mode as far as her injuries and what treatments she may need going forward. She seems to have avoided any permanent damage to her facial features, which if you had seen her when they first brought her to the hospital, is nothing short of miraculous.

Thanks for asking.

Reactions: RedSpartan
ADVERTISEMENT