ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Vin Scully (Not an Obit)

rutexan84

Senior
Dec 17, 2008
Cowtown.
is there a more professional announcer than the great Vin Scully. The guy is 87 years old and sharp as a tack. He does all of his broadcasts alone and flawlessly. He is the standard bearer for all announcers.

Reactions: LC-88
is there a more professional announcer than the great Vin Scully. The guy is 87 years old and sharp as a tack. He does all of his broadcasts alone and flawlessly. He is the standard bearer for all announcers.
The one and only reason I buy the MLB package on DirecTV. And I know a few others that do the same.

Did you know that a major percentage of Los Angeles can't hear this guy because of the stupid deal with Dodgers and Time Warner Cable? Time Warner is playing hard ball with all other TV service providers like DirecTV, U-verse and my cable company Charter. I still remember his call for the 1986 World Series Victory by the New York Mets.

I am a lifelong Dodgers fan (saw them play in Ebbets Field) and a big fan of Vin, but he does not do the broadcasts flawlessly. If you listen carefully and know baseball and the Dodgers he has a lot of "senior moments." This does not bother me because I have a lot of my own, but Vin is definitely showing his age.

Glad he's still kickin' around - the way this forum has going lately I was expecting this to be an obit...

Right now I don't think there's another play-by-play guy who can hold a candle to hockey's Doc Emrick.

The other night in the Tampa Bay - Ranger game there was a 6 or so minute stretch of non stop back and forth action. Doc was right on top of every pass, shot, check, and save. It was an amazing display.

Scully is in a class of his own. He has been having a conversation with the audience his entire career. Nobody comes close.

One of the pleasures of Sirius-XM is that they have his call of the first couple of innings on the Dodger radio broadcast. When I'm in the car at the right time during the season, I always try to catch him.

He's maybe lost a half step in the past 10 years, but that still puts him head and shoulders above all but a handful of the guys doing games today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT