ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What car to buy?

Yes, but everyone on your block hates you because your house has ugly panels on the roof.

I'm looking forward to you explaining to me how this low profile arrangement of panels on my roof is ugly. My neighbors have all said they look great. I guess I'll just be happy you're not my neighbor.
housewithsolar.jpg

A6. It is hands down the benchmark. I also agree that the 3.0T is a must if you want the car to have some serious pick up.

Of course I do own one, so I am biased, but I absolutely love it. There is a reason it has been the best in class multiple times now.

I'm looking forward to you explaining to me how this low profile arrangement of panels on my roof is ugly. My neighbors have all said they look great. I guess I'll just be happy you're not my neighbor.
housewithsolar.jpg

You have a Prius?

You're excused from this discussion.

Reactions: jmg75
Not advisable to own cars like these. You lease them, IMO, so you're never out of warrantee. After the lease is up, you lease another one.

I disagree that you have to lease, but agree that it is not advisable to own these cars once they are out of warranty.

You have a Prius?

You're excused from this discussion.

Ooooo, let's puff our chest over the car we do or don't own as a big Internet tough guy with a ton of posts. All bow down, everyone.

My contribution to this discussion was about the Tesla Model S I plan to buy next, not my Prius that is now 10 years old after saving me a ton of money because of my long commute. Some of us don't pull in major $ like apparent arrogant 5%ers like you. If ridiculing others over cars (or other objects) they own is still your thing, then, well, I'm sorry your ego isn't getting stroked enough by adult life and you long for your days in high school when you were "the man."

housewithsolar.jpg
And my neighbor says I'm not fat........but no, you are right, it looks awesome.

Ooooo, let's puff our chest over the car we do or don't own as a big Internet tough guy with a ton of posts. All bow down, everyone.

My contribution to this discussion was about the Tesla Model S I plan to buy next, not my Prius that is now 10 years old after saving me a ton of money because of my long commute. Some of us don't pull in major $ like apparent arrogant 5%ers like you. If ridiculing others over cars (or other objects) they own is still your thing, then, well, I'm sorry your ego isn't getting stroked enough by adult life and you long for your days in high school when you were "the man."

You can object all you want. You have a Prius, ergo you're not a car guy. It has nothing to do with ego.

Fact is, all of your posts in this thread are about how electric cars save you money (here's a hint - they actually don't, in terms of TCO). The thread was started by someone who wanted to know about luxury performance sedans. While the Tesla is an interesting curiosity it's certainly not a best of breed performance sedan - the reliability issues have been significant.

And after your most recent bizarre rant, I'm not seeing how you shell out almost 100k for one, anyway.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I have a 2015 Audi A6 Premium Plus Quattro and very happy with it. It's a great road car
with a quality leather interior and appointments. The 220 horsepower engine is more
than adequate for most any type of driving. However, learning how to use the computer
and the navigation systems remain a work in process. Unfortunately I have yet to learn
how to cook breakfast without having to access the help menu.

And after your most recent bizarre rant, I'm not seeing how you shell out almost 100k for one, anyway.

Tesla is releasing a more affordable Sedan that will be more in line with the Lexus/BMW/etc prince points. I am pretty sure that is the one he is planing to get.

I have owned the Jaguar XF, avoid the XF. Seats werent comfortable in turns and the whole user interface/radio/navigation sucked. I returned it after a month.

My wife had serious issues with both her Audis, so they were done.

It was between a GS (Sport or Lux) and a BMW 535. I was able to get them down to a $3,000 price difference. At that cost the BMW was a hands down winner. I always HATED BMWs, after owning one for a year, it is one of the best choices I ever made. My Acura was awesome and dependable, but I may never go back. Every bell and whistle, every toy, very comfortable and great power.

Tesla is releasing a more affordable Sedan that will be more in line with the Lexus/BMW/etc prince points. I am pretty sure that is the one he is planing to get.

No. He said "My contribution to this discussion was about the Tesla Model S that I plan to buy next."

I call bullshit.

No. He said "My contribution to this discussion was about the Tesla Model S that I plan to buy next."

I call bullshit.

well I see now, that is weird since the Model S costs over twice as much as the cars being discusses here! I see your point! HA!

You can object all you want. You have a Prius, ergo you're not a car guy. It has nothing to do with ego.

Fact is, all of your posts in this thread are about how electric cars save you money (here's a hint - they actually don't, in terms of TCO). The thread was started by someone who wanted to know about luxury performance sedans. While the Tesla is an interesting curiosity it's certainly not a best of breed performance sedan - the reliability issues have been significant.

It appears although you claim to be an expert on ALL luxury sedans, you have little or no accurate knowledge when it comes to the Tesla Model S. With a base price now of $75,000, your $100K price is way off even before you factor in the savings that come from a federal tax credit and conservative estimates of $ saved when paying for kWhs instead of premium gasoline (go see for yourself HERE). As mentioned above by scourge, next year Tesla will intro a mid size around $40K that will go on sale in 2017 and 2018.

Check out the performance specs for the Model S and tell me if you think it is a worthy, high performance luxury sedan. I just hadn't gotten to that yet.

You also reveal some pretty extreme narrow-mindedness by supposing I can't know jack about ALL cars just because I drive a compact hybrid. Yes, I have limited knowledge about the handling and maintenance of all cars I have never bought, maintained or owned. But get this - I can read.

Maybe you should get educated from square one to get rid of your pre and misconceptions about EVs by reading this so you understand what is about to happen to the entire industries of energy and transportation:
http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/06/how-tesla-will-change-your-life.html

I have no misconceptions about EVs. On the contrary, you seem to be able to do little more than parrot talking points.

To the extent that EV purchases are subsidized - guess what? That's not "free money". It's tax revenue. Macroeconomics can be your friend.

Additionally, all EVs now use lithium ion batteries. Educate yourself on something called the "lithium cycle". Learn how lithium is one of the most rare of the rare earth elements, how it's not renewable and how 90% of all lithium deposits are found in countries which are unfriendly to our interests (China is the biggest producer) or have unstable governments (Chile). Learn also that the process of mining, extracting and refining lithium is one of the most environmentally horrific processes in the modern world and that entire ecosystems (again, Chile) have been completely destroyed by the process.

Then, since you're such a fan of reading, study the Tesla S a bit more. The price on the 75D (the cheapest) is $75k. The lower prices quoted include the $7500 federal tax credit and "$10,000 in gas savings". For that you get 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. Yeah, that's not so great for that kind of money.

And here's a lesson in consumerism - any time a prospective seller quotes you a price that includes some putative, prospective savings, you should walk away.

To get the Model S that everyone really wants - the fast one with the little "hyperspace button" on the dashboard - $105,000. And there are options on top of that.

You're not making your money back with a Tesla. The money you would save by just buying a plain, old luxury performance sedan more than pays for the gas you use.

Yes, but everyone on your block hates you because your house has ugly panels on the roof.

Only if they're nosy morons (a pretty strong chance in any given Jersey neighborhood, I guess), or maybe he lives in a neighborhood like New Brunswick where they absolutely clash with the older architecture. Otherwise, they look just fine. There are a lot of worse things a neighbor can do to his home. For instance, having a refrigerator-sized AC unit hanging out a window.

I have no misconceptions about EVs. On the contrary, you seem to be able to do little more than parrot talking points.

To the extent that EV purchases are subsidized - guess what? That's not "free money". It's tax revenue. Macroeconomics can be your friend.

Additionally, all EVs now use lithium ion batteries. Educate yourself on something called the "lithium cycle". Learn how lithium is one of the most rare of the rare earth elements, how it's not renewable and how 90% of all lithium deposits are found in countries which are unfriendly to our interests (China is the biggest producer) or have unstable governments (Chile). Learn also that the process of mining, extracting and refining lithium is one of the most environmentally horrific processes in the modern world and that entire ecosystems (again, Chile) have been completely destroyed by the process.

Then, since you're such a fan of reading, study the Tesla S a bit more. The price on the 75D (the cheapest) is $75k. The lower prices quoted include the $7500 federal tax credit and "$10,000 in gas savings". For that you get 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. Yeah, that's not so great for that kind of money.

And here's a lesson in consumerism - any time a prospective seller quotes you a price that includes some putative, prospective savings, you should walk away.

To get the Model S that everyone really wants - the fast one with the little "hyperspace button" on the dashboard - $105,000. And there are options on top of that.

You're not making your money back with a Tesla. The money you would save by just buying a plain, old luxury performance sedan more than pays for the gas you use.

RU4real is right, that's a lot (85k inclusive of tax credit) for 5.2 0 to 60. Bought a V6 accord last year that was $26,300 + tax and 6.3 secs. A second slower but overall a much better value which is what I'm sure 4Real was getting at.

RU4real is right, that's a lot (85k inclusive of tax credit) for 5.2 0 to 60. Bought a V6 accord last year that was $26,300 + tax and 6.3 secs. A second slower but overall a much better value which is what I'm sure 4Real was getting at.

Well the Accord is the rolls royce of cars after all...

Reactions: mildone

It's basic Value Prop.

Let's say the 75D is $67,500, which is the $75k MSRP minus the $7500 federal tax credit. For that money, you get 75D performance, which is basically 329 total horsepower, Tesla's version of AWD, (no torque control from wheel to wheel) and 5.2 seconds 0-60.

Picking an example from this thread, an Audi A6 with a 330 hp supercharged V-6 is $58,000. a tenth of a second faster to 60 mph, better AWD system.

The A6 has an EPA combined rating of 22 mpg. At an average of 12,000 miles per year and a "right now" price for unleaded at $2.45 that's an annual fuel expense of $1336, or $6681 over a 5 year lifespan.

So minus tax, tag, etc. the 75D costs $67,500 plus whatever electricity is required to recharge it. The all-in running cost of the A6 is $64,681.

It appears although you claim to be an expert on ALL luxury sedans, you have little or no accurate knowledge when it comes to the Tesla Model S. With a base price now of $75,000, your $100K price is way off even before you factor in the savings that come from a federal tax credit and conservative estimates of $ saved when paying for kWhs instead of premium gasoline (go see for yourself HERE). As mentioned above by scourge, next year Tesla will intro a mid size around $40K that will go on sale in 2017 and 2018.

Check out the performance specs for the Model S and tell me if you think it is a worthy, high performance luxury sedan. I just hadn't gotten to that yet.

You also reveal some pretty extreme narrow-mindedness by supposing I can't know jack about ALL cars just because I drive a compact hybrid. Yes, I have limited knowledge about the handling and maintenance of all cars I have never bought, maintained or owned. But get this - I can read.

Maybe you should get educated from square one to get rid of your pre and misconceptions about EVs by reading this so you understand what is about to happen to the entire industries of energy and transportation:
http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/06/how-tesla-will-change-your-life.html

uh oh

inorite.

How do people just swallow this shit?

Look, I'm not anti-Tesla. Like I said - cool car. I just think it's ironic that I'm getting scolded by Tesla guy for being a knowledge-deficient snob while he's believing that "savings" actually lowers the price of the car.

I don't understand why Tesla isn't being sued for making the claim.

A $10k fuel savings over 5 years (which at today's fuel prices is right about 4,000 gallons or 81,000 miles at a very conservative 20 mpg, which is more than most people drive) doesn't LOWER the price of the car.

Quite honestly, no one, NO ONE is buying a Tesla because of the savings. lol

But other then that, I do sort of agree with him that you should educate yourself more. lol We can discuss this over shots next tailgate. Surprised RaRa hasn't chimed in yet.

Quite honestly, no one, NO ONE is buying a Tesla because of the savings. lol

But other then that, I do sort of agree with him that you should educate yourself more. lol We can discuss this over shots next tailgate. Surprised RaRa hasn't chimed in yet.

Meh - who needs him. As much as I've tried to convince him to bring his tailgate wenches around for the benefit of my education, he has yet to come through.

Holy over-reaction. You should take some of that ton of money you're saving and buy yourself a sense of humor.

Its really the only car worth getting. Otherwise just use a bike. It's the B1G full share revenue of cars. Everything else is AAC.

Barring extenuating circumstances (such as needing to compensate for minivan ownership), there really is no valid argument for getting any car other than an Accord. If you look up "perfect' in the dictionary, they show a picture of a Honda Accord.

Edit: In the interests of full disclosure, I do not actually own, have never owned, and will never own a Honda Accord. But then I am compensating for significantly more serious flaws than mere minivan ownership. :D

Last edited:
Barring extenuating circumstances (such as needing to compensate for minivan ownership), there really is no valid argument for getting any car other than an Accord. If you look up "perfect' in the dictionary, they show a picture of a Honda Accord.

Sez the guy who drives the only remaining Mitsubishi Starion ESI, or whatever, in existence. lol

Reactions: mildone
17 million new cars were sold in the US in the last year. I would like to add a second to that tally.

I have shortened the list to the Lexus GS-hybrid (not liking the grill on the 2016 though), Audi A6 , Acura RLX or Jaguar XF.

Would prefer it not be a BMW or Mercedes. Open to other suggestions. Don't need a muscle car or 400 horses.

The missis hauls an Odyssey. I think a sedan will be a complimentary vehicle rather than a SUV.

I have seen these kinds of threads here in the past with tons of information. I guess they are not archived as I'm unable to retrieve them.

The Caddy CTS is awesome. Give it a shot.

while we are it, while my car drives very well (2006 Acura TL), I am getting the itch to get a new car...likely a 4-door given family considerations...that said, I am heavily leaning to an Audi S4.

anyone here drive one--they are quite common out here in SF? I've never leased, but considering I only average 8-9K/year since my commute is close, I am thinking of leasing...any thoughts about owning/leasing when it comes to an Audi? I tend to own cars for 8-10 years which would have to change, unless I buy after the lease is up

Reactions: scarletrider
The S4 is a solid car, but honestly this Audi fan isn't as enamored of it since they pulled the 4.2 V-8 in favor of the supercharged V-6.

Yes, I know the 6 only gives up 12 hp to the 8 and weighs 120 lbs less and balances the car better. I get it. But the car isn't as visceral, even if it's a little quicker.

ford falcon

I know you put Ford Falcon in as a joke, but in New Zealand, the Ford Falcon is Ford's muscle car. When I tell people in that in the states, it's a mommy run around car, they crack up.

Model names are all different down here. You can buy a Nissan Sunny, and a Toyota Levin.

Nissans are not so popular down here so you can get a good deal on a used one. On the other hand, Subaru's cost a lot more used down here than in the States. About 3/4 of cars down here are manual shift, and Kiwis typically buy used cars imported from Japan.

Actually, lithium supply is pretty stable with Australia and Chile being by far the biggest providers (each producing about 1/3 of total production right now). Availability, even with dramatic increases in EV production, seems to be secure through 2050 according to this article in Science Direct.

Actually, lithium supply is pretty stable with Australia and Chile being by far the biggest providers (each producing about 1/3 of total production right now). Availability, even with dramatic increases in EV production, seems to be secure through 2050 according to this article in Science Direct.

Which is fairly consistent with math that I've done relative to the topic.

The thing is, 2050 isn't that far off. And there's still the fact that in terms of supporting global vehicle fleets, there's less lithium than oil.

The whole battery thing is going to have to seriously change - which is why I'm not growing attached to it. Batteries in cars are like the stray dog you bring home; you know you want it on some level, it's really kinda cute, but... You know in the end your mom won't let you keep it.

Sez the guy who drives the only remaining Mitsubishi Starion ESI, or whatever, in existence. lol

Actually, my original plan was to have ditched the MS3 already. But instead, I'm addicted to it. I put in a race suspension in January. And I'm on the path to a bigger turbo build. Goal is to reach 350whp or roughly 410hp at the crank.

As you know, I have a creepy man-crush on the Cayman (specifically the Cayman GT4, these days). But just last week I watched some track-day videos of a kid in an MS3 with just bolt-ons, coilovers, and a tune easily lapping a Cayman R.

It makes me wonder why I should bother with the Cayman at all. Except that I still want it. Only now it's become a lot harder to rationalize that the purchase is purely about performance.

Which is fairly consistent with math that I've done relative to the topic.

The thing is, 2050 isn't that far off. And there's still the fact that in terms of supporting global vehicle fleets, there's less lithium than oil.

The whole battery thing is going to have to seriously change - which is why I'm not growing attached to it. Batteries in cars are like the stray dog you bring home; you know you want it on some level, it's really kinda cute, but... You know in the end your mom won't let you keep it.

Good points, 4Real, but if I see 2050, car batteries will be the least of my problems! One of these days I want to try a wee dram from the Old Spye Distillary!

35 years is an eternity in tech. Cars were quite different in 1980, and tech is moving exponentially faster. If li-ion doesnt work out for the reasons mentioned, it'll be replaced several times over before 2050.

Reactions: J.L. Gotrocks
So, while we're talking cars, I'll be looking to replace my Rav4 in a year or so. Would like some sort of SUV, probably 3-5 years old, with really good suspension (I live two miles out a dirt road), comfortable ride, 4 wheel drive, stick or automatic, and somewhat on the larger side. Thoughts?

So, while we're talking cars, I'll be looking to replace my Rav4 in a year or so. Would like some sort of SUV, probably 3-5 years old, with really good suspension (I live two miles out a dirt road), comfortable ride, 4 wheel drive, stick or automatic, and somewhat on the larger side. Thoughts?

Not sure what's available in the New Zealand market, but Toyota TRD Pro trucks have really nice upgraded off-road suspension, at least the new lineup does. The 4Runner TRD Pro and FJ Cruiser Ultimate Edition, if i recall the name right, would be the SUVs.

It sounds like you're looking for a legit SUV, not a CUV (crossover) like the RAV4, Nissan Murano, Mazda CXanything, etc. The good/bad news is that your options are extremely limited, unless you want a full-sized behemoth. Car cos have been phasing out mid-sized truck-based SUVs in favor of car-based crossovers, so there are only a few real SUVs left.

The Toyota 4Runner is a good choice. The Nissan Xterra comes with an upgraded Bilstein off-road suspension in Pro-4X trim, but it might be a little small for your needs. I believe it's bigger than the RAV4, but it's on the small side for an SUV. It doesn't look like either of those are offered on the New Zealand market, but maybe you can get used imports.

New Zealand has some nice rugged, off-road-ready SUVs that we can't get here in the States, like the Nissan Patrol, Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series and Land Rover Defender. I'd go with one of those if I were you, probably the Land Cruiser 70, but that's just because I can't get them here :sunglasses:

Other SUVs, like the Nissan Pathfinder and Ford Explorer, were actual truck-frame SUVs within your 3 to 5 year time period, so those might be worth a look, too.

ADVERTISEMENT