ADVERTISEMENT

OT.What sport,and what needs to happen to put the RUscrew to rest?

Exit117

Sophomore
Oct 19, 2003
The legendary Rutgers Screw, for which anything that goes wrong is blamed on,lol. Can any sport rip it out of the fabric that is Rutgers, and what would it take? Making it back to a Final Four in Basketball? Making it into the College Football Playoffs? Having years of top notch success in the revenue generating sports? Building a fan base that donates huge amounts of money towards all sports facilities? Having so much success where a waiting list is needed again?

Nothing will change the RU screw until the people that work there start to care about the students and the technology improves. My daughter is a Jr and the crap she has had to maneuver through at times is amazing. No amount of winning in any sport will change that.

The RU screw is a culture. It's a culture of beaucracy and looking at the students as numbers rather than people. At times it feels as if there is no common sense when you approach an administrator with a issue/concern/problem. Maybe it's because Rutgers has so many students and money is tight. But the experience at Rutgers for students suffers dramatically as a result.

Reactions: Rutgers85
The RU Screw is an overblown phenomenon. Every large university has bureaucracy. Rutgers might be worse than some and better than others, but overall there is nothing unusual about Rutgers. (With the exception of the separation of Rutgers College, Douglass College, and Livingston College, which offered duplicate programs with differing requirements. But that structure has been eliminated. )

Screw is in Vegas. We should probably wait on this until he gets back.

The RU Screw is an overblown phenomenon. Every large university has bureaucracy. Rutgers might be worse than some and better than others, but overall there is nothing unusual about Rutgers. (With the exception of the separation of Rutgers College, Douglass College, and Livingston College, which offered duplicate programs with differing requirements. But that structure has been eliminated. )

+1. All colleges (esp. public colleges) have this problem - mainly because the administrators that run them have never been trained at management. They are mostly academics ... which is great if you are doing research or teaching, but usually terrible for trying to run a large organization efficiently. The worst of the lot are the "professional academic administrators" who generally bounce from job to job, school to school, leaving incompetence in their wake. I think the focus on the RU Screw is a Jersey thing.

Basketball
Its funny this came out today. Jordan just lasted a 4 star player noone expected us to get and had to overcome alot of negative recruiting to do it. Thats how the RU Screw starts to turn away.

Nothing will change the RU screw until the people that work there start to care about the students and the technology improves. My daughter is a Jr and the crap she has had to maneuver through at times is amazing. No amount of winning in any sport will change that.

The RU screw is a culture. It's a culture of bureaucracy and looking at the students as numbers rather than people. At times it feels as if there is no common sense when you approach an administrator with a issue/concern/problem.

These two posts pretty much nail it. The RU Screw has nothing to do with sports.

Screw is in Vegas. We should probably wait on this until he gets back.
IF he gets back, which is by no means certain at this point. I'll prepare a GoFundMe contingency account in the event the Mrs. needs some extra cash to keep the tailgates going.

The RU screw is a culture. It's a culture of beaucracy and looking at the students as numbers rather than people. At times it feels as if there is no common sense when you approach an administrator with a issue/concern/problem. Maybe it's because Rutgers has so many students and money is tight. But the experience at Rutgers for students suffers dramatically as a result.

We have a winner.

+1. All colleges (esp. public colleges) have this problem - mainly because the administrators that run them have never been trained at management. They are mostly academics ... which is great if you are doing research or teaching, but usually terrible for trying to run a large organization efficiently. The worst of the lot are the "professional academic administrators" who generally bounce from job to job, school to school, leaving incompetence in their wake. I think the focus on the RU Screw is a Jersey thing.

Maybe, But when you have someone who worked at the VA telling you that it was easier to navigate the VA than it is to navigate Rutgers, that says something right there about Rutgers uniqueness when it comes to bureaucracy. I've also talked with people who have been on faculty in the CUNY system and at UCLA and they are often amazed, baffled and bewildered by what goes on at Rutgers.

But I agree many of the other posters, that sports is a different animal and has an opportunity to breakout of the culture given the right people and set of circumstances.

For those who say it is overblown, I somewhat agree. I see students apply the "RU screw" language when a bus breaks down. I have paid 6 semesters so far and 4 of those semesters were calculated incorrectly by Rutgers. My daughter went to her advisor freshman yr who told her he wasn't assigned to her. She went to the 2nd advisor who told her to go back to the 1st. She went back and he said, "Oh I guess your mine then". She had a 91.4 avg for a class last semester. She got a B. She e-mailed the professor 4 times with no response. The dean also did not respond. Her current advisor (who is great) said there was nothing that could be done. She heard through the grapevine that this particular teacher doesn't believe in giving plus (C+, B+) grades. If that is her policy, it should be spelled out in the beginning of the course. Luckily, I prepared my daughter for Rutgers and she loves Rutgers.

And to answer the original OP's question. I think it;s a toss-up between Women's basketball and wrestling, with Football a close third. And I'll put Eddie and men's basketball in at four.

Likelihood of breaking out of RU/NJ Culture:

1.) Women's Basketball
2.) Wrestling
3.) Football
4.) Men's basketball
5.) Women's Soccer
6.) Baseball
7.) Men's and Women's Lacrosse

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT