ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What's your favorite Cigar?

applesktrack

Senior
Nov 30, 2007
Trying to get some suggestions for the summer. I have been enjoying Gurkha's lately just looking for some suggestions.

Trying to get some suggestions for the summer. I have been enjoying Gurkha's lately just looking for some suggestions.

Padron 1964 Anniversary has been my go to stick the past year.

For morning tailgates I'll sometimes go with a light Ashton in cedar wrap. Though my cigar guy likes to tell me Ashton's suck.

Reactions: applesktrack
Arturo Fuente Double Chateau Maduro. Hands down the best cigar for the money. Extremely well made. Great flavor, terrific burn and about $6 a stick in PA at stores. I buy them online for $74 for a $20 box. Beats so many overpriced cigars.

Padron 1964 Anniversary has been my go to stick the past year.

For morning tailgates I'll sometimes go with a light Ashton in cedar wrap. Though my cigar guy likes to tell me Ashton's suck.
He right. Ashston sucks. They used to make very good cigars 30 years ago but the quality of the cigar has been awful of late. Oddly it is now owned by Fuente but the cigars don't compare.

Been liking the Rocky Patel's Connecticuts lately. Nice mild cigar reasonably priced.

Never been a fan of Gurkha; too overpriced for an hit or miss cigar. Padron's always good. Liga Privada 9 for special occasions, otherwise I stick with Undercrowns.

Reactions: InGregITrust
Gurkhas repulse me for some reason. I'm a fan of Oliva, JdN, & Pepin. Love Padron anniversary & OpusX but I refuse to spend more than ten bucks on a cigar.

Monte Cristo #2 torpedo. For my money a good smoke and fairly priced if you don't want to go nuts with an opus x. Nice easy draw and not overly strong flavors.

Monte Cristo #2 torpedo. For my money a good smoke and fairly priced if you don't want to go nuts with an opus x. Nice easy draw and not overly strong flavors.
Can't argue with that choice. Monte makes awesome cigars. Slightly more pricey but more available.

Never smoked a bad Padron. Ever stick is consistent. Gurkas tend to taste better after sitting in the humidor for a few months. Lately Ive been enjoying anything by Olivia, Alec Bradley, or a very reasonably priced CAO Italia or Brazilia.

Why do people smoke? Seriously. My uncle died from esophageal cancer a year ago and it was a slow, horrible death.

Never been a fan of Gurkha; too overpriced for an hit or miss cigar. Padron's always good. Liga Privada 9 for special occasions, otherwise I stick with Undercrowns.

Yes!!! Liga Privada #9 is incredible. Not easy to find but decent smoke shops have them. Range between $15-$20 per stick depending on the retailer but worth every penny. Not sure why, but it billows with smoke. More than I've ever noticed on another cigar. Great with coffee, espresso, chocolate, etc.

It's one of life's simple pleasures to be enjoyed in moderation. After a long week at work, it is nice to sit out on the deck with a bourbon on the rocks and nice cigar.

Reactions: red sail
Why do people smoke? Seriously. My uncle died from esophageal cancer a year ago and it was a slow, horrible death.
You do realize that cigar smokers do not inhale. After my heart attack this past year every doctor could care less about me smoking cigars. Cigarettes are a completely different story. I have never smoked a cigarette in my life.

I have enjoyed most of the suggestions here but have gone green in the last year. My favorite is:

Arturo Fuente 858 Flor Fina Double Claro Lonsdale

I might be one of the only guys smoking candela cigars. Back in the 50's and 60's they ruled the American market. I tried them to do something different and they became my main smoke.

afuen_858_claro_box25.jpg

I have enjoyed most of the suggestions here but have gone green in the last year. My favorite is:

Arturo Fuente 858 Flor Fina Double Claro Lonsdale

I might be one of the only guys smoking candela cigars. Back in the 50's and 60's they ruled the American market. I tried them to do something different and they became my main smoke.

afuen_858_claro_box25.jpg
AF makes the best cigars at a reasonable price!

Reactions: wisr01
AF makes the best cigars at a reasonable price!
This.

Also, in response to your other post, I have read multiple studies that show the increase in risk for cancer when limiting your cigar smoking to 1-2 per day as negligible. That assumes you are not inhaling of course.

This.

Also, in response to your other post, I have read multiple studies that show the increase in risk for cancer when limiting your cigar smoking to 1-2 per day as negligible. That assumes you are not inhaling of course.
And if true that a poop load of cigars to be smoking. You'd probably need to be retired and playing lots of golf and at that point who gives a F

Reactions: wisr01
And if true that a poop load of cigars to be smoking. You'd probably need to be retired and playing lots of golf and at that point who gives a F
I do what I can but I know a certain vain man that has his own brand if cigars. Awesome smoke but who really needs a cigar with their initials on the band....just saying :)

I do what I can but I know a certain vain man that has his own brand if cigars. Awesome smoke but who really needs a cigar with their initials on the band....just saying :)
Some men have vision and look to perfect what others merely enjoy. Lol.....
You keep buying those store brands and some day you might just purchase one of mine!
Seriously though, when was the heart attack?

Some men have vision and look to perfect what others merely enjoy. Lol.....
You keep buying those store brands and some day you might just purchase one of mine!
Seriously though, when was the heart attack?
Right before the 2014 Super Bowl. Didn't know until months later. Not a typical one. My heart stopped in my sleep. Literally my dog saved me. No damage.
As for buying a VKJ brand why should I? You give them to me!

Right before the 2014 Super Bowl. Didn't know until months later. Not a typical one. My heart stopped in my sleep. Literally my dog saved me. No damage.
As for buying a VKJ brand why should I? You give them to me!
No damage is excellent, you are lucky!

No damage is excellent, you are lucky!
Yes I am but the type of stoppage unfortunately is repetitive so I'm not out of the danger zone. Not a common threat but my Uncle passed from the exact same thing at my age.

Rocky Patel 15th Anniversary, any size. Also the Edge or Prohibition series. All medium to medium-full bodied.

Erin Go Brah Irish Creme....nice change of pace stick.

Otherwise, R & J Churchills. Took a while to get used to them though.

Great stuff here!! I love most things by don pepin - that's my father cigar co. His son's brand the "Jamie Garcia Reserve" is very good for the price. Love some la flor Dominicans too. Try the aging room Churchill. That was cigar of the year last year. Very good!! The Alec Bradly Family blend is also terrific for the price.

You can probably tell I tend to enjoy the more full bodied smokes. Planning on smoking one or two this weekend!

Enjoy the holiday everyone!!

Last edited:
He right. Ashston sucks. They used to make very good cigars 30 years ago but the quality of the cigar has been awful of late. Oddly it is now owned by Fuente but the cigars don't compare.

I've tried several Ashtons and agree that for the most part they are not great, but for some reason I don't might the double magnum in cedar wrap. I don't know what John Lennon saw in Yoko either, but who am I to question another man's tastes?

For the most part, I prefer Padron. Love the anniversary additions as I said, but they are a bit overpriced.

So the follow up question. What beverage do you guys prefer? Any suggestions outside of the standard cognacs like courv?

I've tried several Ashtons and agree that for the most part they are not great, but for some reason I don't might the double magnum in cedar wrap. I don't know what John Lennon saw in Yoko either, but who am I to question another man's tastes?

For the most part, I prefer Padron. Love the anniversary additions as I said, but they are a bit overpriced.

So the follow up question. What beverage do you guys prefer? Any suggestions outside of the standard cognacs like courv?
I tend not to drink when I smoke, unless it's golfing or tailgating which usually involves beer. However, the last few times I've been at a place where both were expected, I feel everyone was pushing Rum. Not sure if that's a new fad or not but it seems to be the prevailing suggestion by these bartenders.

ADVERTISEMENT