ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Where is N/C/S Jersey poll

Just what this board needs to bring back some sanity...a north/central/south debate.

Interesting article. Obviously has been "debated" (using the term loosely
3dgrin.r191677.gif
) often. Map results look reasonable so far.

I think the voting map at the bottom is pretty right- Toms River and Trenton being last in Central, and north line of Central being Woodbridge and the burbs north of Princeton. That first map with Warren in Central is just screwy,

I think the 908/78 line is roughly right for the northern border, but people saying 195 is the Southern line is ridiculous. So northern Jackson, Howell, and Wall are Central, but south of that, and places like Squan and Point Pleasant are south? No way. All of 732 is Central NJ. Toms River is the approximate line on the shore side.

Originally posted by NotInRHouse:
I think the voting map at the bottom is pretty right- Toms River and Trenton being last in Central, and north line of Central being Woodbridge and the burbs north of Princeton. That first map with Warren in Central is just screwy,

I think the 908/78 line is roughly right for the northern border, but people saying 195 is the Southern line is ridiculous. So northern Jackson, Howell, and Wall are Central, but south of that, and places like Squan and Point Pleasant are south? No way. All of 732 is Central NJ. Toms River is the approximate line on the shore side.
Sorry, but you're NotInCentralJersey. Below I195 is the South. The accent changes, the culture is different, they have Wawa.

Originally posted by Piscataway:

Sorry, but you're NotInCentralJersey. Below I195 is the South. The accent changes, the culture is different, they have Wawa.
Sorry, but using Wawa is not a good indicator of south/central Jersey differentiation, since there are plenty of them in the central NJ (Monmouth/Middlesex/Mercer County) area..

The accent is different from one part of Wall to another?

Also there are Wawas in Kearney and Parsippany....

I really don't understand this whole debate. Anything south of Bergen County is Central Jersey. Anything South of New Brunswick is South Jersey. Except for anything south of the Driscoll bridge and east of the parkway which is clearly the Shore. Everything else (which includes west of 287) can be refered to as South Jersey or Hicksville.

Maybe not in Wall but not sure about Howell.

LoL at some Bergen county definitions.

Anyway, the Map is settling the debate IMO. The lines are shaping up - where the towns are more contested and thus faded, are the lines. Makes perfect sense to me where the lines are shaping up to be, based on my life around NJ.

Surprised that 50% of Bordentown and other northern Burlington towns consider themselves Central Jersey. I always thought that was solid South.

This answer has a very Guido feel to it.
Originally posted by Myrtleknight:
I really don't understand this whole debate. Anything south of Bergen County is Central Jersey. Anything South of New Brunswick is South Jersey. Except for anything south of the Driscoll bridge and east of the parkway which is clearly the Shore. Everything else (which includes west of 287) can be refered to as South Jersey or Hicksville.

Anyone who thinks Monmouth County and northern Ocean County is South Jersey
is just showing their ignorance, or arrogance, or both.
Those people have probably never been in South Jersey
except maybe for a trip to visit Atlantic City or Wildwood

And Warren county in central jersey!
Reminds me of the arrogance of those from NYC towards anything Jersey

The Hamilton Township-Bordentown border has always been a pretty solid boundary between Central and South Jersey. Anywhere in Burlington County is solid South Jersey; there are a lot of New York-oriented folks in Hamilton.

Originally posted by e5fdny:

Maybe not in Wall but not sure about Howell.
LOL. Howellbama part of Howell definitely has a different accent than parts bordering Freehold and Colts Neck. As for Wall, the southern part of Wall is more countrified than North Wall.

Originally posted by ron313:
This answer has a very Guido feel to it.
Originally posted by Myrtleknight:
lol @ anyone that thinks places like hunterdon county are hicksville.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_locations_by_per_capita_income

note the top 3 - all or mostly west of 287.

The best North/South dividing line is where you buy Rita's Italian Ice (North) or Rita's Water Ice (South)

It's really the same people throughout towns like Wall and Howell. Yeah, certain areas are wealthier than others, but most of the people still come from NYC/North Jersey (like everyone else in Monmouth).

195 is just a crazy and indefensible line. I really don't know how it gets adherence. One of my friends from South Jersey stills insists Belmar is a "North Jersey" beach...I wonder if that's just the area that falls north of 138....

Many do not remember there is only North Jersey = area code 201
and South Jersey area code 609, end of discussion
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I always went off of which schools were listed in the Courier Post Top 20 for High School Sports.

It usually was Burlington County and below was South Jersey. Everything else to me is North Jersey (again, only because I'm a South Jersey person).

Originally posted by Scarlet_Scourge:
There are a few NJ accents though ironically the stereotype one used by Hollywood doesn't exist in New Jersey at all (it's from Staten Island which is NYC for our mid-western friends who might be reading this).

Which one fits you? Find out by taking this quiz:

http://www.playbuzz.com/aleshawilliamsboyd10/test-your-jersey-accent
Wow, that poll is bad (or just misguided). Other than when I was at Rutgers, while living in NJ I have never lived farther north than Deptford, NJ (Gloucester County) with most of my time growing up being in/around Vineland (Cumberland County) and it pegged me as being from North Jersey.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/20 12:35 PM by TonyLieske

i grew up in summit and currently live in chatham. i would say the lines are a s follows.

north...................sussex, passaic,bergen, essex, hudson, morris, union, the top third of hunterdon, the top half of warren and the top half of somerset.

central................. botton portions of warren, hunterdon and somerset, middlesex, mercer,monmouth, and ocean.

south.......................burlington, camden , gloucester, salem, cumberland, cape may and atlantic.

the regional capitals would be newark , trenton , and camden
This post was edited on 4/20 2:18 PM by jim1666

Originally posted by RUsSKii:

Sorry, but using Wawa is not a good indicator of south/central Jersey differentiation, since there are plenty of them in the central NJ (Monmouth/Middlesex/Mercer County) area..
But the number of Wawa's south of 195 is insane compared to everything north of it. South of 195 and there's a bunch of wawa's all over the place, north of 195 and the few ones they have are spread out. I think that was more along his line of thinking

Reactions: Piscataway
I don't see why this is so controversial. I hope people are finally admitting that Central Jersey exists. I would put Belmar to Seaside Heights as Central Jersey and anything south of that becomes South Jersey...totally different feel to the beaches. Warren County is North Jersey but almost all of Hunterdon might be Central Jersey. South Jersey begins south of Trenton and run the slant to the shore to annex those towns as central

WaWas do not only exist south of 95....Hillsborough which is about as central as it gets has had a WaWa for 27 years now.

It's really the same people throughout towns like Wall and Howell. Yeah, certain areas are wealthier than others, but most of the people still come from NYC/North Jersey (like everyone else in Monmouth).

195 is just a crazy and indefensible line. I really don't know how it gets adherence. One of my friends from South Jersey stills insists Belmar is a "North Jersey" beach...I wonder if that's just the area that falls north of 138....
LOL.

Did you not see Knight Shift's post?

And again, your friends who bought (or were looking?) that weekend place in Howell do not live at the Shore.

Originally posted by Terry_2426:

Originally posted by RUsSKii:

But the number of Wawa's south of 195 is insane compared to everything north of it. South of 195 and there's a bunch of wawa's all over the place, north of 195 and the few ones they have are spread out. I think that was more along his line of thinking
Eh still don't agree, at least not where I grew up in Marlboro. There were at a minimum three Wawa's within a 10-minute drive radius when I was in high school, and no less than three more have since been added..

Also there are Wawas in Kearney and Parsippany....
Let me tell you as somebody that grew up in North Wall/Glendola, those kids in South Wall/Allenwood were different.

The best North/South dividing line is where you buy Rita's Italian Ice (North) or Rita's Water Ice (South)

I did wonder if they used a different name in the north.

As far as accents go, as a transplanted CJer in south jersey I'm still getting used to:

Sausage = sah-sage
Chocolate = Cha-colate
Coffe = Cah-fee
Charlie = Chah-lie

As someone who has lived in South Jersey most of my life, I don't think I ever hear those words pronounced that way. For the most part I hear:

Saw-sedge
Caw-fee
Char-lee

TV market consider North Jersey as part of the NYC TV market.
If you live in North Jersey you will get the local channels (CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC) as NYC based.
If you live in South Jersey you will get the local channels as Philly based.
If you live in Central Jersey then you are considered part of both markets and you will get BOTH channel lineups you get both NYC AND Philly local channels.

Everything north of 78 is north jersey, everything south of new brunswick is south jersey. That's about how we felt about it growing up in Scotch Plains. Also, anything that was below, say, Princeton and wasn't along the shore didn't matter.

C;mon Willis. Stop with this. East Brunswick and North Brunswick are not South Jersey. Not a little, not a lot. Not at all.

Why do people from North Jersey want to make South Jersey triple the size of North Jersey?

C;mon Willis. Stop with this. East Brunswick and North Brunswick are not South Jersey. Not a little, not a lot. Not at all.

Why do people from North Jersey want to make South Jersey triple the size of North Jersey?

When a man refers to soft ice cream as "custard" and the things he puts on it as "jimmies" does his opinion really matter?

You know, if you look at population breakdown per section, it's probably closer than you think. But this is how we felt. Frankly, Princeton was deep South Jersey. The rest, if it wasn't the shore, wasn't even considered. That's just how it was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT