ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Women's Soccer : USA vs Germany 7:00 Fox

RU1977

All American
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2006
Tonight! Go USA!

Note -
  • Five U.S. players have played all 450 minutes of the tournament so far: defenders Julie Johnston, Meghan Klingenberg and Becky Sauerbrunn, midfielder Carli Lloyd and goalkeeper Hope Solo.

Tonight! Go USA!

Note -
  • Five U.S. players have played all 450 minutes of the tournament so far: defenders Julie Johnston, Meghan Klingenberg and Becky Sauerbrunn, midfielder Carli Lloyd and goalkeeper Hope Solo.

I'm not very optimistic about our chances vs. Germany, but wouldn't it be great if we made it to the Final and beat Japan to win the Cup ? Donald Trump would probably claim that his motivational comments about never beating Japan at anything inspired our women to victory.

Am I the only one who does the CHOP every time Lloyd scores?

I didn't think so...

:americanflag:

When she is done playing, do you see her getting more involved with the athletic department ? Have we made a strong effort to bring her in ?

I'm not very optimistic about our chances vs. Germany, but wouldn't it be great if we made it to the Final and beat Japan to win the Cup ? Donald Trump would probably claim that his motivational comments about never beating Japan at anything inspired our women to victory.

Based on what I saw of the France v Germany game, I think we're probably lucky to be playing Germany.

Is there a more overhyped group than the USA's forward group. For all of the press that Morgan, Wambach and Leroux get, they have been almost completely non-threatening. Doesn't help that the team can't pass and resorts to long-ball soccer too easily.

Is there a more overhyped group than the USA's forward group. For all of the press that Morgan, Wambach and Leroux get, they have been almost completely non-threatening. Doesn't help that the team can't pass and resorts to long-ball soccer too easily.

Did you watch the game against China? The team can pass. China's defense appeared to be very disorganized, which always helps. But USA looked okay, IMO, in that game.

My buddy who is a soccer guy says that Germany will pressure the USA defense and that Hope Solo will need to come up with a big performance for us to win. Since scoring is not our forte I see us an underdog in this one.

He also says that the Germany-USA winner wins the World Cup.

Hoping for the best tonite.

Need better possession up front. Morgan in particular has been fairly sloppy in her control and decision-making -- it's like she's pulling a Michael Bradley on us.

Reactions: ron313
This US Team cannot play from behind....they'd better be up 2-1 with 15 minutes to play.

My buddy who is a soccer guy says that Germany will pressure the USA defense and that Hope Solo will need to come up with a big performance for us to win. Since scoring is not our forte I see us an underdog in this one.

He also says that the Germany-USA winner wins the World Cup.

Hoping for the best tonite.

I agree with your buddy. Columbia demonstrated the US vulnerability to pressure all the way up into the US defensive third. I think that vulnerability is/was probably mostly due to a relative weakness in the US central midfield. Although chemistry could've certainly played a part.

The US is going to have to have a very strong support play performance by the central midfielders to alleviate the pressure and maintain possession better than they did against Columbia.

It appeared to me that China also attempted to defend well up the field and the US dealt with it much better than against Columbia. I'm not sure why exactly because I was mightily distracted by ongoing conservation with the lovely young ladies sitting on either side of me at the bar where I was watching the game.

So there's some hope beyond just Hope. We'll see if the team continues the more composed, better off-the-ball play seen in the last game with their complete starting lineup back in the game tonight. If they can do that, I give us the edge. If not, it could be a long game.

The USA team hasnt really been tested yet and has allowed itself to be lackluster on offense I think because they knew they SHOULD beat everyone they have met so far.

They know Germany will be a true test and will rally to play with the sense of urgency necessary to pull out a win. I was not impressed with Germany or France when i watched their game and I think the USA has the depth to cause Germany problems IF our D keeps up its stellar effort. USA by 1

Did you watch the game against China? The team can pass. China's defense appeared to be very disorganized, which always helps. But USA looked okay, IMO, in that game.
IMO that was the first game this tourney that the US actually looked like the #2 team in the world. Before that I thought the passing and possession of the US team was lacking a lot. I was hoping they would bring Wambach as a sub and they did and the replacements had great energy and the team did as whole too for the first time this whole tourney. I think they'll need a repeat of that China performance.

I thought Germany/France were the 2 best teams in the tourney through last week. France had great possession and passing in that game, especially in the first half they were dominating. Germany fought back in the 2nd half. If the US plays like they did against China, I think they're equal to those teams but if they play like they did earlier in the tourney it's going to be a big uphill battle.

Good game so far. IMO, the US looks the best they've looked in the tournament (since I started watching, at least). The midfield appears to be playing at a higher level than in previous games - and I think that's probably the difference maker in the game, at the moment.

A bonus is that the US creativity in the attacking third also looks lots better than what we've been seeing recently. Germany's defense is holding tough - but if we keep it up, I think we'll get through.

Germany still looks very dangerous though, and one area of concern is that our weak-side defense has been a tad bit slow to recover and adjust to Germany's field of play switch a couple times. It only takes one time to lead to a goal. So hopefully we tighten that up a bit in the second half.

The result that happened in the Germany/France game was the result that I was hoping for. I didn't care who won but I was hoping that it would go to extra time. Added bonus was that Germany was down 1-0 in that game til late and was really pressing/desperate to get the equalizer meaning even more fatigued legs.

I know it's been a few days and they're still a very dangerous team but I think that Germany/France game took it's toll on them with regards to energy. Other than the first 10 min or so of this game I haven't seen much energy out of Germany.

We need to put away one of these chances or they can make us pay. Controlling or dominating a game means nothing without the goals to back it up. It's the same worry I had in the China game to a lesser extent. All it takes is one chance by the opposition and all that control means nothing.

USA defense shaky in the first 15 min of 2nd half. Got behind defenders 3 times now w good opportunities.

Wow, Germany missed a PK !

whew that pk chance is exactly the kind of thing I'm worried about and now Germany seems to be picking it up.

yes a penalty for us now. come on gotta make this. looks like a bad call though. outside the box.

Has Wambach even played in this game? At this point, USA will be all D, so she probably won't be in

If the score stays like this, they will likely put Wambach in like they did last game, at the end of the game, to help on defense with Germany's set pieces/corners.

Nope and she only came in with like 5 min left in the China game. I'm perfectly fine with it. I'll take her off the bench but at 35 I don't think she has the legs to play long stretches anymore.

We've been fortunate with the refs calls this game. honestly haven't thought the quality of the reffing has been good this whole tourney.

The refs haven't been good, but they have sucked both ways. The US has had plenty of bad calls go against them.

USA dominated this game. With a few finishes, this game could have been 3 or 4 zero.

USA dominated this game. With a few finishes, this game could have been 3 or 4 zero.

Completely agree - we dominated and Lloyd had her best game - she was a monster in the midfield, passing crisply, hustling everywhere, defending all over the field, and of course converting the PK, perfectly, and making that gorgeous move inside the box for that beautiful assist on the 2nd goal. We did get the break on their missed PK and our PK shouldn't have been a PK, but we still dominated.

Good point by the commentator. They're peaking at the right point. Best two games of the tourney were the China game and now this one even better.

ADVERTISEMENT