ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Women's Soccer : USA vs Germany 7:00 Fox

Girls looked much better playing the 4-3-3 then they did in any game so far. Stick with it. It worked beautiful much more offense and like Cali said with some finishes this could have been a blow out.

Has there ever been a Rutgers athlete that's performed on the big stage like Lloyd? Winning goals in the last 2 Olympic finals, and probably the best player on the pitch vs Germany, with a goal and an assist.

Has there ever been a Rutgers athlete that's performed on the big stage like Lloyd? Winning goals in the last 2 Olympic finals, and probably the best player on the pitch vs Germany, with a goal and an assist.

Not the scope and size of soccer, but Rutgers has a laxer named Bob Vencak who was named the best defensemen in the world at the world games in the late 70's early 80's.

Great game.

USA played a brilliant first half, weathered a very intense German attack in the second half, and then closed out the game decisively.

Germany missing it's PK was obviously a big help. But the even bigger break for the US was that Johnston was only given a yellow card on the play. There is some leeway for the ref here, but IMO, Johnston should've been red carded and sent off.

OTOH, one of the German players got away with a handball in the their penalty area. So sometimes the calls help, sometimes they hurt.

Overall, the US women outplayed Germany for the majority of the game and deserved the win.

For the curious, here's the FIFA law that addresses the Johnston foul:

Denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity

There are two sending-off offenses that deal with denying an opponent an obvious opportunity to score a goal. It is not necessary for the offense to occur inside the penalty area. If the referee applies advantage during an obvious goalscoring opportunity and a goal is scored directly, despite the opponent’s handling the ball or fouling an opponent, the player cannot be sent off but he may still be cautioned. Referees should consider the following circumstances when deciding whether to send off a player for denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity:

• the distance between the offense and the goal
  • the likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
  • the direction of the play
  • the location and number of defenders
  • the offense which denies an opponent an obvious goalscoring opportunity may be an offense that incurs a direct free kick or an indirect free kick

66 Goals for the US Team. One of only 3, Michelle Akers and Abby Wambaugh are the others, to score a goal in 3 consecutive WC matches. In this Cup she's either scored or assisted on 6 of the 9 US goals.

Nuff said.

Great game.

USA played a brilliant first half, weathered a very intense German attack in the second half, and then closed out the game decisively.

Germany missing it's PK was obviously a big help. But the even bigger break for the US was that Johnston was only given a yellow card on the play. There is some leeway for the ref here, but IMO, Johnston should've been red carded and sent off.

OTOH, one of the German players got away with a handball in the their penalty area. So sometimes the calls help, sometimes they hurt.

Overall, the US women outplayed Germany for the majority of the game and deserved the win.

For the curious, here's the FIFA law that addresses the Johnston foul:

Denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity

There are two sending-off offenses that deal with denying an opponent an obvious opportunity to score a goal. It is not necessary for the offense to occur inside the penalty area. If the referee applies advantage during an obvious goalscoring opportunity and a goal is scored directly, despite the opponent’s handling the ball or fouling an opponent, the player cannot be sent off but he may still be cautioned. Referees should consider the following circumstances when deciding whether to send off a player for denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity:

• the distance between the offense and the goal
  • the likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
  • the direction of the play
  • the location and number of defenders
  • the offense which denies an opponent an obvious goalscoring opportunity may be an offense that incurs a direct free kick or an indirect free kick

Very easily could have/should have been a red card for DOGSO. I understand the reluctance of a referee in this situation to make such a call, however. OTOH, a few minutes later when Morgan was fouled leading to the US PK, similar reluctance may have warranted a free kick just outside the penalty area instead of a PK, unless the ref felt like making an even up call like they do so often in the NBA. USA clearly got breaks on both calls but the German woman missed her opportunity while Carli made hers. C'est la vie.

Very easily could have/should have been a red card for DOGSO. I understand the reluctance of a referee in this situation to make such a call, however. OTOH, a few minutes later when Morgan was fouled leading to the US PK, similar reluctance may have warranted a free kick just outside the penalty area instead of a PK, unless the ref felt like making an even up call like they do so often in the NBA. USA clearly got breaks on both calls but the German woman missed her opportunity while Carli made hers. C'est la vie.

Agreed.

One other thing about the call for the US PK: The referee's viewing angle from behind made it look like it was clearly in the PA. She immediately indicated for the PK where she could have whistled for the foul and consulted with her linesman via the headset, who may have had a better angle, to determine where the contact was initiated.

It's what you get with just one referee on the pitch - lots of missed calls, or questionable calls, because she can't be watching everything at once. I know it's highly unlikely to change, but the game could benefit from more referees.

I've been a soccer referee, not an easy job. Was happy to see the team play well and win! And with Carli involved in both goals, made it even better!

She was called the best midfielder in the world by one of the commentators (not Alexi) earlier in the tournament - sure its just an opinion from one person, but nobody from RU has ever been called the best in the world at their position in sports (except maybe David Stern but that's a bit different)

Ooh - a budding mutual admiration society. Cool.

Nice call on the nice call on the nice call on the nice call.

I hope Morgan Brian is fine. I think she stayed in the game, right? The German player didnt look too good. Even after the game when the whole side of her face had dried blood all over it.

I hope Morgan Brian is fine. I think she stayed in the game, right? The German player didnt look too good. Even after the game when the whole side of her face had dried blood all over it.

You can't read much into the bloodiness of head wounds because they bleed like crazy, even when they are fairly minor. Doesn't mean there wasn't a more serious injury (concussion).

Twice I've had similar collisions on headers. Both times with teammates. The worst one was when I was coming in hard for the header and had left my feet towards the ball and a teammate coming from the side got their first so I wound up heading the back of his head. Ouch. Lucky I didn't break my neck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT