ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Cup Semi - England vs Japan

Knightmoves

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
has anyone seen the stadium crowd for this one in Edmonton tonite ? Looks like a Temple FB home game at the Linc vs UCONN.

Each player from England looks a foot taller than their opponents during the introduction.

Hoping for a USA vs England Final where the colonies prevail once again when it counts.

It looks like a decent crowd to me (just tuned in 10 mins into the game)

Cant expect womens soccer fans to travel across an ocean. Womens soccer isnt that big in most countries.

Last edited:
has anyone seen the stadium crowd for this one in Edmonton tonite ? Looks like a Temple FB home game at the Linc vs UCONN.

Each player from England looks a foot taller than their opponents during the introduction.

Hoping for a USA vs England Final where the colonies prevail once again when it counts.
holy flops Batman - that's a shame. They're saying its a makeup but the England foul looked real to me.

Reactions: HeyHuey
Harsh way to lose. OG on basically on one of the last kicks of the match. At least England didn't lose on penalties, lol.

I really feel bad for her. That one moment will effect the rest of her playing career

I really feel bad for her. That one moment will effect the rest of her playing career
Yeah, even the commentators in the post game show were in a bit of shock. Hopefully she'll get a chance at redemption, but that's doubtful as England isn't one of the better teams. I believe there is a t 3rd place game, so there's that.

At least she doesn't play for Colombia.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Her teamates really need to rally to her support. That was just really- REALLY bad luck. And not the way it should end..although Japan probably should have been the winner based on that FLOP in the box..but England made some fantastic shots that just missed. Loved how they attacked with some boomers from top of the box...

USA needs to avenge the 2011 game...as the Lalas said..theirs to lose...which scares me...but I think Loyd is on a mission now...and she has some great support. Think USA can romp here....IF they can finish shots for once...

Reactions: mikefla
I really feel bad for Bassett....

Nice to have the opportunity to beat Japan this time - Go USA! Go Carli!

d..although Japan probably should have been the winner based on that FLOP in the box..

Not really a "flop".. yes there was some theatrics.. but the commentators (and you) seem to have missed that her foot was stepped on initiating the trip. She played it up.. wisely.. to make sure it got called.

What a horrible way to lose.

Who beside England did Japan beat to make it to the Final? Did they play any top rated teams?

Japan beat Sweden 1-0, Cameroon 2-1, Ecuador 1-0, Netherlands 2-1, Australia 1-0 and England 2-1

All one goal wins, no ties or losses

Probably the best win from above was vs Sweden. Still, they're in the final.

Japan beat Sweden 1-0, Cameroon 2-1, Ecuador 1-0, Netherlands 2-1, Australia 1-0 and England 2-1

All one goal wins, no ties or losses

I thought the US played Sweden?

If so, the US has had the tougher road to the Final correct?

Edit: Just looked it up...

Avg FIFA Rankings for US opponents - 15, Japan - 24

Not really a "flop".. yes there was some theatrics.. but the commentators (and you) seem to have missed that her foot was stepped on initiating the trip. She played it up.. wisely.. to make sure it got called.

nope. I saw that. And so did Lalas who pointed out she used that to support her Flop. If she was tripped and went down I get it. When she takes another step, swings her whole body around throwing her arms out and around that's an exageration and a flop. She got away with it and why there should be replay on those EXTREMELY important calls in this game.

This sport has some things to fix. Like women bagging heads and bleeding on the field only to be allowed to continue play. A sport where players actually throw their heads at each other without safety equipment...but rewards flopping with a penalty shot that might be the only score in the game.. my opinion. (still really enjoying this tourney for some crazy reason)

Horrible way for it to end. So sorry for Laura Bassett. England had the better of the play IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT