ADVERTISEMENT

Patrice Rene and Ohio Sate writers

LevaosLectures

All Conference
Jun 28, 2015
Every Ohio State writer seems to be suggesting the same thing: that Rene is ours to lose. That other site that has the crystal balls has seen a huge run on RU bets in the past two days and Eleven Warriors most recent update says:

"I've talked to a few sources today and while the conversation around Rene has been overwhelmingly positive thanks in part to his very solid outing at Friday Night Lights, I do not expect to see him end up in Ohio State's 2016 class and I've tabbed him as likely heading to Rutgers. "

Looks like we won't be shut out of four stars this class.

Reactions: 240sx7426
Yeah, I don't think we should feel bad about it, lol. We still beat out every other team that offered him. They're OSU...let's be realistic here.

I think with Hester, Clayton, Rene, Campbell, etc. we should expect the coming years to be pretty good in the defensive backfield. We're putting the nightmare of 2013 behind us.

Yeah, I don't think we should feel bad about it, lol. We still beat out every other team that offered him. They're OSU...let's be realistic here.

Yeah, that's pretty much the way I see it, too.

Still, there's a part of me who half-expects to see someone say "Well, he's not a New Jersey 4*, so Flood still sucks."

Because apparently that's how we roll.

Rene's coach also suggested that this would basically punch Super Luiji's ticket to Rutgers as well. That guy looks like a beast. Still, we'll see if he feels that way when the big time schools start beating down his door.

Reactions: ahmeda3
Well RU4Real we might not agree on politics but we are certainly of the same mind about recruiting. Flood can only do so much in the face of the stiff headwind that is the New Jersey parochial coaches' and NJ parents' lukewarm feelings about RU. I'm pretty happy with this class, especially if Rene and Pridgeon are the exclamation poins.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Yeah, that's pretty much the way I see it, too.

Still, there's a part of me who half-expects to see someone say "Well, he's not a New Jersey 4*, so Flood still sucks."

Because apparently that's how we roll.
Lets face it...as much as we'd like to believe it everything great don't necessarily come out of Jersey...just most stuff esp people. I'll take him.

Absolutely Positively hope Rutgers gets Patrice Rene.
Have no qualms that he has shown interest & receptivity to OSU - it is entirely reasonable that he would be attracted to the possibility.
At the same time, this does not seem to in any way be a reflection on Rutgers, or an indication of dissatisfaction with Rutgers - so it would seem that he has brought his process to the point where he feels that he will be supremely pleased with which ever choice he decides to make.

It would be like a kid who is pretty high on & pretty set on Johns Hopkins & is about ready to say 'yes' ... then suddenly gets a chance to interview at Harvard ... he is attracted .. he is interested ... but if he ends up at Johns Hopkins - he's still going to be delighted .

Preemptive Disclaimer - I am not academically comparing Rutgers / Ohio State to Johns Hopkins / Harvard - only illustrating that one can have two good options and be pleased with either outcome.

Last edited:
The prediction for Rene to RU is now up to 90% on 247sports.

Definitely hope their crystal ball IS crystal clear on this one. -Want this young guy to play his college ball "On The Banks" in a big, B1G way!

Nobody somehow jumps from a middle position to the high ground overnight. RU has always been trying to swim upstream when they come up against the iconic programs for recruits. We all get the allure a school like OSU has for any kid, but the fact that we are even mentioned as in the final two should be something that makes us all realize that the times are changing...certainly not quick enough for many...but they are getting better. My guess is that once the situation of us being in a top conference really sinks in, we will get our share of the players we need to compete.

We'll circle back to this next week once they say that they never offered.

We offered but it wasn't committable. Both Rutgers and OSU 247 sites reported he did not receive a committable offer after FNL. Anyone following along already knows this. Including some on this board like vkj91. It's not a knock on his talent at all. Rutgers will be getting a great player and athlete. I'm glad he is going to stay in the B1G.

We currently have 19 commits for the 2016 class and expecting it to reach 25. Unfortunately for us some great players are going to be told sorry we don't have room.

http://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/siap-patrice-rene-announcement-aug-8th.19146/

Edit: moderator - links to competing sites removed.

Last edited:
We offered but it wasn't committable.

I've always wondered what that conversation sounds like in the room.

"Hey, kid... ya know, we think you're just great and we really think you could bring a lot of positive things to the team here at Cowcheese U. So, we'd like to offer you a scholarship, but... ya know... not really."

I've always wondered what that conversation sounds like in the room.

"Hey, kid... ya know, we think you're just great and we really think you could bring a lot of positive things to the team here at Cowcheese U. So, we'd like to offer you a scholarship, but... ya know... not really."

I've always wondered that myself. I know it wouldn't sit well with me if I was a high quality recruit. I know these days it's a very popular recruiting strategy among P5 schools and it seems to work for some.

it's no different than a " soft verbal"...both sides ( players/coaches) get the short end on occasion.

We offered but it wasn't committable. Both Rutgers and OSU 247 sites reported he did not receive a committable offer after FNL. Anyone following along already knows this. Including some on this board like vkj91. It's not a knock on his talent at all. Rutgers will be getting a great player and athlete. I'm glad he is going to stay in the B1G.

We currently have 19 commits for the 2016 class and expecting it to reach 25. Unfortunately for us some great players are going to be told sorry we don't have room.

http://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/siap-patrice-rene-announcement-aug-8th.19146/

http://rutgers.247sports.com/Board/101478/Contents/Rene-discussion-38402327

http://rutgers.247sports.com/Board/...-from-the-OSU-board-CBing-Rene-to-RU-38424251

http://rutgers.247sports.com/Board/101478/Contents/Patrice-Rene-Update-728-BIG-Update-10PM-38437540

Seems like this article thinks he got a committable offer:
On Wednesday at the Sound Mind Sound Body Football Academy, the Buckeyes made an offer to CB Patrice Rene of Canada.
http://scarletandgame.com/2014/06/1...ting-buckeyes-offer-canadian-cb-patrice-rene/

and this one
Ohio State recruiting: 2016 DB Patrice Rene high on Buckeyes after offer - Land-Grant Holy Land
http://www.landgrantholyland.com/20...g-2016-db-patrice-rene-high-on-buckeyes-after

Rivals has him down as being offered:
http://sports.yahoo.com/lsu/football/recruiting/player-Patrice-Rene-153276

Could it be because Patrice didn't take the offer soon enough , Ohio St started looking elsewhere as not to look like they lost him, but have it look like interest in Rene had cooled and now it's becoming he didn't have a committable offer according to Buckeye fans.
I don't know enough about recruiting to say uncommittable offers are not being given by schools, but it seems like that is being used to overcome the no offer claims that can be easily refuted , when a kid looks like he's going elsewhere. .
Now instead of saying a recruit wasn't offered, is being changed to : the offer he received wasn't an official offer allowing that recruit to commit to a school, making that offer meaningless .

Wonder why any recruit would think he received an offer, if told he wouldn't be allowed to use it to commit.?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think you offer the kid (to the extent you don't expect him to jump on the offer) to keep him interested, but tell him 'take your time, see what is out there'. Presumably In the meantime, you recruit guys higher on your board. If the kid comes back and says that he wants to commit, that is when you drop the truth on him.

Seems like this article thinks he got a committable offer:
On Wednesday at the Sound Mind Sound Body Football Academy, the Buckeyes made an offer to CB Patrice Rene of Canada.
http://scarletandgame.com/2014/06/1...ting-buckeyes-offer-canadian-cb-patrice-rene/

and this one
Ohio State recruiting: 2016 DB Patrice Rene high on Buckeyes after offer - Land-Grant Holy Land
http://www.landgrantholyland.com/20...g-2016-db-patrice-rene-high-on-buckeyes-after

Rivals has him down as being offered:
http://sports.yahoo.com/lsu/football/recruiting/player-Patrice-Rene-153276

Could it be because Patrice didn't take the offer soon enough , Ohio St started looking elsewhere as not to look like they lost him, but have it look like interest in Rene had cooled and now it's becoming he didn't have a committable offer according to Buckeye fans.
I don't know enough about recruiting to say uncommittable offers are not being given by schools, but it seems like that is being used to overcome the no offer claims that can be easily refuted , when a kid looks like he's going elsewhere. .
Now instead of saying a recruit wasn't offered, is being changed to : the offer he received wasn't an official offer allowing that recruit to commit to a school, making that offer meaningless .

Wonder why any recruit would think he received an offer, if told he wouldn't be allowed to use it to commit.?

No one is denying he had an offer. I don't know why you said that. OSU can not accept a commitment from every kid they have offered. They offer many kids for each position. Some kids have a committable offer from day one while others must attend camps for their offer to become committable. Or wait until a school misses out on those who they have rated higher. There are varying degrees of offers. An offer is no longer an offer. Now we must ask if it's a real committable offer or just an offer to say that they like you and will keep in touch while they evaluate you further.

OSU never lost interest in Rene and never cooled on him. However, they have others they are after and feel they can land. Rene was not a take right now.

The news of Rene not having a committable offer is NOT according to Buckeye fans. It is according to the recruiting staff for OSU and Rutgers sites. They follow and write about recruiting for a living on their respected sites. They are the ones who reported it to the Buckeye and Rutgers fans.

Uncommittable offers are being given out by just about every P5 schools these days. It is not a new strategy anymore and not an excuse from fan bases. It's very real.

Once again no one is denying he had an offer. It just wasn't committable. That is why he attended OSU for FNL. One last audition for the coaches in order to change his offer status.

Last edited:
No one is denying he had an offer. I don't know why you said that. OSU can not accept a commitment from every kid they have offered. They offer many kids for each position. Some kids have a committable offer from day one while others must attend camps for their offer to become committable. Or wait until a school misses out on those who they have rated higher. There are varying degrees of offers.

OSU never lost interest in Rene and never cooled on him. However, they have others they are after and feel they can land. Rene was not a take right now.

The news of Rene not having a committable offer is NOT according to Buckeye fans. It is according to those who follow recruiting for OSU and Rutgers sites for a living. They are the ones who reported it to the Buckeye and Rutgers fans.

Uncommittable offers are being given out by just about every P5 schools these days. It is not a new strategy anymore and not an excuse from fan bases. It's very real.

Once again no one is denying he had an offer. It just wasn't committable. That is why he attended OSU for FNL. One last audition for the coaches in order to change his offer status.

Still wondering why any recruit would think he received an offer, if told he wouldn't be allowed to use it to commit.?
But will accept your explanation about committable offer.
Like I posted :"I don't know enough about recruiting to say uncommittable offers are not being given by schools",
and committable offers isn't something I have heard about until now.
I always thought when a recruit received an offer, the school wanted him to commit and if they didn't want him and it looked like he might commit, the school simply would withdraw their offer before he had a chance to commit.

First its like buying a house, you can get alot of different offers, but each is different and some have contingencies.

Second why are we so hung up on whether he had a commitable offer?

We are interested in him, he is interested in us. I know there will be a ton of answers why we care...blah blah. Get the kid to commit, and stay on him to sign, bottom line.

Btw Rutgers cant accept every kid they offer. Look at the SPP kid that just went to BC, we offered, he didnt commit, class filled, offer is no longer commitable. Like the car that gets sold off of the lot while you negotiating or the house with a better offer prior to signing the paper work.

I always thought when a recruit received an offer, the school wanted him to commit and if they didn't want him and it looked like he might commit, the school simply would withdraw their offer before he had a chance to commit.

I too always thought that when a kid received an offer it was a legit offer but not anymore. It was something new for Buckeye fans to adjust to because we had never really heard of a non committable offer before Urban was hired. Now I hear about them being handed out just about every where.

Reactions: vascosg
reading through a lot of this, it sounds like an uncommitable offer is not an offer....it is a waiting list, like getting wait listed in college.

the recruit can wait it out and hope....the only thing that is hopeful for them is that they can hope that they are number two, and number one says no

We'll circle back to this next week once they say that they never offered.
oyxon.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT