ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Knight Donation - $500 Million to OHSU

Oregon is the only other state that has our pre-merger model of a free standing public medical school outside the flagship university.

Oregon is the only other state that has our pre-merger model of a free standing public medical school outside the flagship university.

In Oregon's case, it might be better that way. Neither O of U nor OSU is considered a powerhouse academic school; whereas OHSU is a very respected med and health sciences school. For medicine, US News has it ranked 31st for research, and 5th for primary care.

I guess but a lot of med schools are independent parts of a larger system. For example ucsf and university of Maryland are not affiliated the states flagship beyond sharing overarching governance.

I don't know what you mean by saying that UCSF is not affiliated with the state's flagship -- by which I take it you mean Berkeley. The schools cooperate in lots of ways, although they have separate campus administrations. (As you say, they do share governance by the Board of Regents because both are part of the University of California.) The situation is much different that UMDNJ and Rutgers pre-merger. Berkeley once considered having its own medical school, but decided that was a silly idea with UCSF right across the Bay.

Where is our $100 Million+ donor? Will it ever happen?

They aren't that common. It's not like we're an outlier in not having one. Very few schools have had gifts of that size. That's not to say it won't happen or that Rutgers shouldn't be cultivating them but it's not really a big worry that we haven't had a gift of that size.

Nice to have a Phil Knight in your corner - I always wonder if that kind of alum would even feel that kind of loyalty that a Phil Knight does - hope they do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT