ADVERTISEMENT

Phil steele ranks all the div one teams........

wheezer

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 3, 2001
better than I suspected, when you look at Marylands position then RU....me thinks we would have been right with them, or slightly behind due to most of the national perception...I like that bit of
respect

1. Ohio St
2. TCU
3. Alabama
4. USC
5. Baylor
6. Oregon
7. Georgia
8. Stanford
9. Florida St
10. LSU
11. Michigan St
12. UCLA
13. Notre Dame
14. Auburn
15. Mississippi
16. Oklahoma
17. Wisconsin
18. Arkansas
19. Tennessee
20. Virginia Tech
21. Utah
22. Clemson
23. Oklahoma St
24. Georgia Tech
25. Miami, Fl
26. Penn St
27. Arizona St
28. Texas
29. West Virginia
30. Boise St
31. Missouri
32. Texas A&M
33. Arizona
34. Nebraska
35. Michigan
36. California
37. Louisville
38. Mississippi St
39. Minnesota
40. Florida
41. Kansas St
42. Pittsburgh
43. Duke
44. BYU
45. Marshall
46. Colorado
47. NC State
48. North Carolina
49. San Diego St
50. Texas Tech
51. Virginia
52. Utah St
53. Louisiana Tech
54. Northwestern
55. Cincinnati
56. South Carolina
57. Iowa
58. Kentucky
59. UCF
60. Rutgers
61. Temple
62. Illinois
63. Toledo
64. Memphis
65. Washington St
66. East Carolina
67. WKU
68. Northern Illinois
69. Boston College
70. Washington
71. Western Michigan
72. Indiana
73. Maryland
74. Iowa St
75. Bowling Green
76. Houston
77. Vanderbilt
78. Purdue
79. Akron
80. Appalachian St
81. Ohio
82. Navy
83. Air Force
84. Oregon St
85. Colorado St
86. Middle Tennessee
87. Arkansas St
88. Ball St
89. Fresno St
90. UL-Lafayette
91. Nevada
92. Tulsa
93. Syracuse
94. San Jose St
95. Massachusetts
96. Georgia Southern
97. Rice
98. New Mexico
99. Wake Forest
100. Hawai’i
101. Tulane
102. Connecticut
103. FIU
104. Kent St
105. Texas St
106. USF
107. UTEP
108. Old Dominion
109. Southern Miss
110. ULM
111. Central Michigan
112. North Texas
113. Florida Atlantic
114. Wyoming
115. Kansas
116. SMU
117. South Alabama
118. Buffalo
119. Idaho
120. New Mexico St
121. Army West Point
122. Troy
123. UTSA
124. Georgia St
125. Eastern Michigan
126. Miami, Oh
127. UNLV
128. Charlotte

Penn State at 26?

[roll][roll]
------------------

yeah, I just noticed that myself......Phil gets a lot of respect from most people....my thoughts are that he thinks PU has a soft schedule, a lot of
easily winnable home games....so they might finish in the top 30, but not really be a top 30 team....

Pitt at 42? When was the last year they won more than 6 games?
Marshall at 45?

I guess our QB uncertainty may have dropped us some but we have too much talent at RB, WR and a pretty good D to be 60.

Awfully kind to Notre Dame, Michigan and Cal.

Awfully tough on Kansas State.

Marshall at 45?

I guess our QB uncertainty may have dropped us some but we have too much talent at RB, WR and a pretty good D to be 60.
----------------

If an outsider has us at 60, I am ok with that right now.....Phil is looking at our uncertainty at qb, and the graduation hits we took on our
lines......if our qb play is terrible, the WR's will not get the ball, defenses will stack against the run, all the good things are not as good as we hope.

we really have to have a qb click.....the first game is a good warm up....hoping to see a lot of crisp passing, lots of yards....yes, we might be a running team for the most part, but we have to balance it a bit to make it work.

Last edited:
------------------

yeah, I just noticed that myself......Phil gets a lot of respect from most people....my thoughts are that he thinks PU has a soft schedule, a lot of
easily winnable home games
....so they might finish in the top 30, but not really be a top 30 team....

Penn State is not leaving the State for their non-conf schedule:

BUFFALO
ARMY
SAN DIEGO STATE
at Temple (might be their toughest non-conf game)

Yes, going 4-0 vs anyone in non-conf schedule does help get one ranked or close to it, even if one ends up going 5-3 or 4-4 in conf play

BUFFALO
ARMY
SAN DIEGO STATE

Yes, going 4-0 vs anyone in non-conf schedule does help get one ranked or close to it, even if one ends up going 5-3 or 4-4 in conf play
-----------------

if I was a PU fan, looking at their total schedule, I can easily see nine wins, maybe even one more.....hopefully they crap the bed, we all question their coaching, etc, but that schedule could result in a lot of wins.

Reactions: RUJMM78

Pitt does have a somewhat favorable 3 game non-conf schedule:

Div I-AA YOUNGSTOWN STATE
at Akron
at Iowa

Pitt is hosting probably their 4 toughest ACC games this season:

ND
LOUISVILLE
MIAMI
UVA

For Pitt, regardless of HC, they always PITT a game or two per year...especially at home...so Pitt is almost like a box of chocolate...never know what you're gonna get.

BUFFALO
ARMY
SAN DIEGO STATE

Plus their cross-division games are against Illinois (62) and Northwestern (54)

Reactions: Knight_Light
If you go just by ranking, Rutgers goes 6-6. Not far off from what most expect. I still think it'll be a wee bit better.

Other interesting rankings....Kansas lowest ranked Power 5 team. At #93 the Great White North's team 3rd lowest, only ahead of the Jayhawks and Wake.

UNC at #48? Is that the same horrible defensive team we saw in Detroit?

Sillycuse at 93, man he is generous! Speaking of lurking, this would be a day I would lurk there if I was a lurker, but I am not a lurker.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Plus their cross-division games are against Illinois (62) and Northwestern (54)

Good point.

While Steele's predictions sometimes don't ring true...the guy does his homework (even for non-P5 schools) as schedules and returning depth play a major role in his "predictions".

OP beating his chest for #60 ranking and 1 spot ahead of temple????????
-------
Beating my chest, hardly......I was expecting to be roughly where Maryland is, along side them.......so we are about 10 spots higher than I would have guessed

If we can pass the ball we could could be a lot, lot higher

Don't be so dramatic

Last edited:
I don't really get the Rutgers fans calling the Penn State schedule weak. Seems like the pot calling the kettle black.

Penn State Non-conference Schedule:

118. Buffalo
121. Army
49. San Diego State
61. Temple

Rutgers Non-conference Schedule:

UNRANKED. Norfolk State
65. Washington State
115. Kansas
121. Army

So pretty much eliminate Army since we both play them, then call Buffalo and Norfolk St. the same. No clue how good NS is, but who cares. That leaves two opponents each. Temple and Wash. St. are also very similarly ranked so call that a wash. That leaves SDSU for penn state and Kansas for Rutgers. So you guys play the power 5 conference team, but one with possibly the worst on-field performance over the last few years, or SDSU, which is no power school, but did make it to a bowl game last season.

The bottom line is, neither of us are playing murder's row, but Penn State may actually be playing more quality opponents. Not that that's even saying that much.

I don't really get the Rutgers fans calling the Penn State schedule weak. Seems like the pot calling the kettle black.

118. Buffalo
121. Army
49. San Diego State
61. Temple

UNRANKED. Norfolk State
65. Washington State
115. Kansas
121. Army

So pretty much eliminate Army since we both play them, then call Buffalo and Norfolk St. the same. No clue how good NS is, but who cares. That leaves two opponents each. Temple and Wash. St. are also very similarly ranked so call that a wash. That leaves SDSU for penn state and Kansas for Rutgers. So you guys play the power 5 conference team, but one with possibly the worst on-field performance over the last few years, or SDSU, which is no power school, but did make it to a bowl game last season.

The bottom line is, neither of us are playing murder's row, but Penn State may actually be playing more quality opponents. Not that that's even saying that much.

As we all know schedules are done well in advance. The difference is Rutgers went out and scheduled 2 Power 5 games. PSU? Zero. Also, I don't know how many schools are willing to fly across the country 3 times in 5 years to open the season like RU will have done after playing at UW. That takes some Brass Balls.

Good point.

While Steele's predictions sometimes don't ring true...the guy does his homework (even for non-P5 schools) as schedules and returning depth play a major role in his "predictions".

You always try to come in with reason at the expense of Rutgers.:chairshot: Care to justify it with facts.

So pretty much eliminate Army since we both play them, then call Buffalo and Norfolk St. the same.

I wouldn't.

At least Buffalo has 85 Div I-A Players...while RU has almost annual played some of the worst Div I-AA teams on the planet...(especially not good Historical Black College programs).

"I don't really get the Rutgers fans calling the Penn State schedule weak. Seems like the pot calling the kettle black."

118. Buffalo
121. Army
49. San Diego State
61. Temple"

So if Rutgers has a weak OOC schedule, their fans can't observe that Pedd St. has a weak schedule ?
Come on, you guys are supposed to be one of the Big Boys. And your toughest OOC game is Temple ?
I gotta check out what the odds are that they go 4-0 in these toughies.

As we all know schedules are done well in advance. The difference is Rutgers went out and scheduled 2 Power 5 games. PSU? Zero. Also, I don't know how many schools are willing to fly across the country 3 times in 5 years to open the season like RU will have done after playing at UW. That takes some Brass Balls.

We did, against The State University of New Jersey. You guys just happened to join our conference so that's now in In-conference matchup, not OOC.

Reactions: ruready07
I wouldn't.

At least Buffalo has 85 Div I-A Players...while RU has almost annual played some of the worst Div I-AA teams on the planet...(especially not good Historical Black College programs).

You play UBuffalo 100 times, you beat them 97 versus beating Norfolk state 99. Both are absolutely must wins if you don't want to get made fun of for the rest of forever.

We did, against The State University of New Jersey. You guys just happened to join our conference so that's now in In-conference matchup, not OOC.

Good point that you guys were trying to seriously upgrade your OOC lol. Was BOB the HC when it was originally announced? I don't remember.

Temple at one spot below RU ?
WTF
This guy has lost it.
If Temple is 61 , RU has to be at least 15-20 spots higher.

Temple at one spot below RU ?
WTF
This guy has lost it.
If Temple is 61 , RU has to be at least 15-20 spots higher.

I wouldn't go that far. I was suprised by that as well, but you have to consider in years past where we haven't lived up to expecations Phil usually looked at us favorably. Maybe not in rankings, but his assessment of the team have usually been kind. Phil is one of the few people that actually does his due dilligence before issuing his rankings or previews. Much better than ESPN's LeBron/Tebow level hardon for SEC when they issue the much too soon preseason rankings.

118. Buffalo
121. Army
49. San Diego State
61. Temple

UNRANKED. Norfolk State
65. Washington State
115. Kansas
121. Army

Wait, one moment PSU claim it's all about perception. Rutgers goes out and schedules 2 Power 5 schools while PSU plays 4 G5 schools. Now, it's actually about the opponent's ability to play. I do recall several PSU fans questioning the Fresno State game by calling it a joke. FSU was and for the most part been a heckva team over the years. PSU will not play any P5 schools or quality team G5 school unless one of the networks set it up. You can't keep changing the finish line just to fit your agenda.

Wait, one moment PSU claim it's all about perception. Rutgers goes out and schedules 2 Power 5 schools while PSU plays 4 G5 schools. Now, it's actually about the opponent's ability to play. I do recall several PSU fans questioning the Fresno State game by calling it a joke. FSU was and for the most part been a heckva team over the years. PSU will not play any P5 schools or quality team G5 school unless one of the networks set it up. You can't keep changing the finish line just to fit your agenda.

I think it's both. Obviously, to sell tickets you need to put teams on the schedule that get people's blood moving. San Diego State doesn't do that for me, but at the same time neither does Kansas.

SDSU is sandwiched in these rankings by UNC and Texas Tech. If you're asking which of those 3 i'd rather play, SDSU would come in last. The bigger name helps in many ways, including when people are evaluating your schedule and your wins. There's an unnoticed bias that comes into play.

That said, you have to play quality opponents as well. Not just quality names. You can't schedule Kansas, syracuse, Oregon state, and whoever else is at the bottom of that list and say "oh well we're playing a P5 team so who cares." This is tougher when you schedule 5+ years out, but you should still make an effort.

I know PSU's schedule is crap, and i wish it wasn't. I think you should play at least one P5 team that is consistently in the top half of their conference or so. Looking at our schedule over the next few years, that will hopefully improve, but Franklin's scheduling

----------------

If an outsider has us at 60, I am ok with that right now.....Phil is looking at our uncertainty at qb, and the graduation hits we took on our
lines......if our qb play is terrible, the WR's will not get the ball, defenses will stack against the run, all the good things are not as good as we hope.

we really have to have a qb click.....the first game is a good warm up....hoping to see a lot of crisp passing, lots of yards....yes, we might be a running team for the most part, but we have to balance it a bit to make it work.
We were in the 45-50 range last year, and any neutral observer is going to think we will be worse, having lost a senior QB and so far not really replaced him.

The issue with being a running team is that you need several other things. An accurate QB who can hit receivers to pick up the first down. A good kicking game. A good defense. I have no idea about the QB. But I dont think we have a good defense unless we improve ALOT from last year, nor do we have a reliable, let alone good kicking game.

No way that Temple would beat us this year. They have a great defense but we would run it down their throats, and their offense is garbage

We were in the 45-50 range last year, and any neutral observer is going to think we will be worse, having lost a senior QB and so far not really replaced him.

The issue with being a running team is that you need several other things. An accurate QB who can hit receivers to pick up the first down. A good kicking game. A good defense. I have no idea about the QB. But I dont think we have a good defense unless we improve ALOT from last year, nor do we have a reliable, let alone good kicking game.

Once you're picking mid level teams there is so little separation that it becomes really hard to rank them. I mean we wound up 16 spots ahead of Mich last year in the Massey ratings and the game we played was about as close as possible. To ask someone to sort that difference out before the season starts....

Reactions: RUwoz
Look at North Carolina being ranked at #48!

This is a more normal placement for UNC as the past few years they were ranked in the top 30 and of course fell from opening day on to the end of the season. I guess reality set in when Rutgers wipe their butt all over the field.
But another lofty posting ND=13[roll][roll][roll] and to insult BC they come in at #69 so here is the KEEP THIS POST till #13 ND meets # 69BC Nov 21 in Fenway Park.
so #13 vs. #69 should be 3 to 3.5 TD difference I say BC beat the odds

118. Buffalo
121. Army
49. San Diego State
61. Temple

UNRANKED. Norfolk State
65. Washington State
115. Kansas
121. Army

Ok, now compare Nebraska (34) and @Wisconsin (17) to Illinois (62) and @Northwestern (54)... then again, you did manage to lose to both last year.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT